New Merak/Bora 17x8 Wheel | FerrariChat

New Merak/Bora 17x8 Wheel

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by gcmerak, Mar 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
  2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I guess it sort of works for Meraks. Not so much a fan of the arrow motif just because it looks like you're trying to emulate Maserati's more modern wheels a bit too much.

What's happened to the 17" Bora original style wheel?

But good idea to skip the 16" version. I do wonder how long 17" will work? Ah the hazards of trying to run a very old car with modern tires ...

But what a terrific effort from you guys salute!

3. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    I find it beautiful. Really special effort!

4. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    +1

5. richarmx

richarmx Rookie

Feb 9, 2015
    Fairfax Station VA
    Full Name:
    Mark Richards
    #5 richarmx, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks to GC3 for posting the link to the custom wheel, and for the comments on the wheel. An original Merak Camagnolo wheel was used to design the custom wheel, so it has the same center specifications as the original wheel.

When on the car and with tires mounted the trident points should be more subtle. They are not as subtle in the enlarged picture of the wheel, so I can understand why one commenter was not a fan of the trident points. The extra 1/4" width (at the front and back of the wheel) puts more wheel where the tire bulge for an original size 15" tire would be (more wheel, less tire).

Hopefully the "Campagnolo" style and influence of the custom wheel is also attractive to some other Merak/Bora owners.

Custom wheels can be incredibly expensive (up to $10K-$12K for a set of 4 wheels). Therefore, before starting fabrication for the custom wheels I'm looking for 3 to 9 other Merak/Bora owners that may want a set of 17"X8" wheels. That will provide access to mounting Michelin Pilot Sports or other modern high performance tires. The first fabrication run of the custom wheel will be a 3-piece wheel.

If 3 more Merak or Bora owners also order a set of 4 wheels, the cost for each set would drop to $6750 for 4 wheels. If 9 additional sets were fabricated with my first set, the cost would drop to $6380 per set of 4. I'm still working on shipping estimates from the fabricator for different parts of the USA and shuld have that information soon.

CAD files for a 1-piece wheel have also been created, and a fabrication run of 1-piece wheels can be scheduled. However, the 1-piece wheel costs about 39% more than the 3-piece design.

Another image for the custom wheel is attached. If other Merak or Bora owners are interested in these wheels, please call me at 703-822-1831, or email me at [email protected].

Thanks.

Mark Richards
    Image Unavailable, Please Login