How is Maserati doing in the US? | FerrariChat

How is Maserati doing in the US?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by amenasce, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It seems the Ghibli is depreciating even faster than BMWs/Mercs/Audi. Havent checked 4P.

Are they selling?

Is the Levant selling well? Or is it too soon to tell?

When will Maserati replace the Granturismo?

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Not sure but the Ghibli is way over priced for what it is--chrylsler parts too. It should be a 50k car. Can't imagine people are lining up to buy it. The SUV is hideous. Pure ugly. Rarely do you see a new Quatroporte in Tampa.

Some one post real stats.

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Maserati sold 3288 cars in the USA in Q1 2017 (Maserati US car sales figures). The highest figure ever.

Ghibli: 1405
    Levante: 1251
    QP: 378
    GT: 254

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You mean like the chrysler sourced V6 and the chassis & 4WD drive platform it shares with Jeep? :rolleyes:

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Just the crankcase is Chrysler: Heads are made in Maranello

Ciao

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Block made by Pentastar in the USA with final machining done in Europe. It's a good well designed motor. Not as good as the all new 90 degree Alfa V6 but still very good.

Granturismo has no planned replacement coming anytime soon but a minor refresh planned next year. That car is a money pit as soon as you drive it off the dealer lot due to massive depreciation.

As one dealer told me you would be better off buying a California as ownership would cost less if you sold them in 3-4 years.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #8 Albert-LP, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Yes, I saw the crankcase- cylinders block at the Ferrari factory, where it's machined. There is a V6 building at the factory. Just that piece comes from oustide and it's the same as Chrysler.

I don't know anything about the V6 Alfa Romeo: i believed it was the same V6 Maserati- Chrysler- Ferrari engine, just tuned up. So the Alfa Romeo V6 hasn't the same crankcase?

thank you very much

ciao

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    No Alfa V6 block is 100% different. Maserati 60 degree, Alfa 90 degree V angle.

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Apparently someone missed the :rolleyes: in my post. Those are the typical ignorant claims that have been going around since the Ghibli and new QP line's inception. The Alfa is a completely different engine. The Maserati was always designed for 4WD capability. I haven't heard that the big bruiser 510 Alfa V6 is going to become 4WD?

Has anyone else?

10. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Interesting. I wonder if that is just a book trick (they sold these cars to the dealers and not to the public) or if these are real consumer/registered cars.

I think Fiat was caught doing that last year IIRC.

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

The new Maserati GranTurismo Coupe will be launched during 2018, with the GranCabrio being discontinued.

The new Alfieri 2+2 will be launched in 2020, with an Alfieri Cabrio due to be launched in 2021.

A six-speed dual-clutch transmission will be for the 400# 60th anniversary special edition models.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I didn't know that, thank you very much. I'm not interested into any Alfa Romeo. I just saw the Maserati V6 production line at the factory: they were based on the Pentastar V6, 60 degree, engine.

At this point I'm wondering if they will install on the new Dino the Maserati V6 or the Alfa Romeo V6. I think the Alfa Romeo V6, as it has much more power, but who knows. Any info?

ciao

13. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    This is BS, the problem is you have hacks like Doug DeMuro (ex Porsche NA employee) writing this crap that is blatantly false or doing bash videos without context.

First, the Maserati twin turbo V6 used in the current Ghibli, Quattroporte and Levante has nothing at all to do with Chrysler period end of sentence. The engine is wholly designed from scratch by Maserati's Paolo Martinelli, the former Ferrari F1 engine designer of Schumacher's championship winning engines.

Due to maximum capacity at the Ferrari foundry, an outsourcing foundry was needed. The EU has very strict regulations on the amount of emissions that a foundry can produce per year. The USA Emissions regulations are based differently. A portion of a Chrysler foundry in Indiana is used to cast the blocks. The workers doing the casting are Ferrari employees not Chrysler employees.

Chassis is an 80% redesign of the Mercedes Benz designed Chrysler 300.

14. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

GoodCarBadCar's figures almost identical.

Ghibli - 1415
    Levante -1245
    Quattroporte - 378
    GranTurismo - 244

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you very much: I didn't know that.

ciao

16. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    The 400 - 60th anniversary cars are already in dealerships. Not a dual clutch, standard ZF six speed.

Production has already begun on the revised 2018 GranTurismo. It will be a short production run (approximately 2 months). Sometime in late CY 2018 (Frankfurt/Paris or even LA) but probably early 2019 at Detroit (MNA is moving to Auburn Hills) no later than Geneva as a 2020 the new GranTurismo will debut.

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    #18 dave_fonz_164, Apr 26, 2017
    Maserati seems to be doing just fine........actually great. Here are the latests statistics.

"Very satisfied with the number one of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, CEO Sergio Marchionne, who on Maserati's relaunch has always counted a great deal. Trident's brand grows 109 percent in Europe in the first three months of the year compared with 2016. North America is also well-liked, where the famous Italian brand grows by 77 percent. Things are even better in China where sales have risen by 98 percent and are expected to grow by almost 50 percent year-over year-round."

https://www.investireoggi.it/motori/maserati-crescita-straordinaria-tridente-nel-primo-trimestre-del-2017/

How is resale on Jag XF or Benz E-Class? Audi A6?........they all suck in fact, none of them have the resale of a Lexus because they cost a mint to maintain after their warranty is up.

Doug fails to mention that some very well made cars, Cayenne or Macan, are essentially heavily revised Volkswagens-Audi platforms. I don't see anyone complaining.

The window switches from the Ghibli are a Mercedes sourced part.

18. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    #19 Foncool, Apr 26, 2017
    This about sums it up for much heralded German cars, they occupy over half the cars on the list.

Cars that owners can?t wait to get rid of

Wonder how many owners become disillusioned when they find out that the German to English translation of their "Tex" seats in their expensive luxury car is really vinyl seats.

19. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    I bought my 2013 GT new, it is pretty well my DD., No issues what so ever.
    Great car. Depreciation, who cares. The comparison between my BMW, the 599 and Explorer is. None, There isn't any.

20. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I looked at # for 2015 and 2016, and both the Ghibli and 4p are down y2y. So it seems the Levante is pulling the brand.

Ghibli

2016 7.100
    2015 7.925

Quattroporte

2016 1.514
    2015 2.398

Surprinsigly, the GT did better in 2016 than 2015

GranTurismo

2016 2.003
    2015 1.372

21. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Yea he also fails to mention that the transmission (ZF 8 speed) he panned is the same transmission used by BMW, Jag etc.

22. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    A stupid SUV and diesel engines? They might as well start cranking out tractors, sex toys, crock pots, etc. Utterly disgusting.
    No wonder the Agnellis always seem to have such bad karma...

23. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    Thank you very much! I get tired of reading so much misinformation on the web that I don't even bother correcting people's comments. I'm glad you said something :up:

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They are selling, but they are not selling well. My local dealer has had the same cars in the showroom for the last 3 months. They are also an Alfa dealer, they have a lot full of gulia's and they don't seem to be moving either. The 4c is also in abundance. I think they have ten of the things sitting around.