Maserati Indy 4700 Tool Kit | FerrariChat

Maserati Indy 4700 Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by surfer63, Jul 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfer63

surfer63 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi, I have a Maserati Indy 4700 (AM116/47) 1972 and am looking for an original tool kit, tool kit roll and jack. I have seen a number of kits on Ebay for sale but am having difficulties determining what is correct for the period. There appears to be a number of sellers claiming that "theirs" are the original parts but none appear to be the same. Eurospares has some parts diagrams but these are not very useful. Is anyone able to post some photo's of their original kit + jack and point me in the right direction. Sincerely appreciate any help thanks.

2. bj69

bj69 Karting

Mar 4, 2009
    #2 bj69, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #3 pnorell, Jul 9, 2017
  4. surfer63

surfer63 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi BJ69 & Peter, much appreciate the quick response and photo's which very helpful thank you.

Peter, I note that you have a spider type lug wrench in your photo - is this an original part or have you added this to the kit for ease of use ?

Thanks again to both of you

5. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I do not believe the spider lug wrench was original - although when I got my Indy it was in with the tools.

6. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #6 thecarnut, Jul 10, 2017
  7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #7 thecarnut, Jul 10, 2017
    The tool kit would many times vary from what is listed on the parts manual. The parts manual tends to list the contents of early cars, the factory would modify the kits over time.

This is a photo of a typical Ghibli/Indy tool kit. The wrenches were labeled "Lario" and looked very cheap. The screwdrivers sometimes had color and other times were natural wood. On later cars (ie Merak SS) the screw driver handles were plastic.
    A French hammer was included. A lead hammer was only included on cars with knock off wheels; which Indys never came with knock off wheels. .

The tool roll had vinyl straps. Later cars (ie: Merak SS) had straps with holes and a buckle. On some Khamsins the tool roll and jack bag was made of canvas instead of vinyl.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #8 thecarnut, Jul 10, 2017
  9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #9 thecarnut, Jul 10, 2017
    A 17mm oil plug removal tool was included. Most of the times the tool was black oxide but I have also seen them cad plated.

Ivan

10. surfer63

surfer63 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Peter N, Thanks for the info re the Spider Lug Wrench. The reason I asked was that I had a similar one left in the boot of my Indy but nothing else - no tool kit or jack.

11. surfer63

surfer63 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Car Nut, much appreciate all your helpful information and the great photo's thank you. This will all come in handy as I start to put together an original kit. The Maserati manuals were very light on information. I already have a good chance of securing a "Battaini" jack with the red decal and am now focused on the tool kit. If you know of anyone looking to sell a tool kit or individual tools I would sincerely appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction thank you. Again much appreciated.

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    PM sent

13. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    #13 Froggie, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Revigoring this thread.
    Just bought a tool kit for my Indy 4900, including the jack and a rare optional greaser:

View attachment 3490903

Looks to be original, complete and in good condition, but not sure it was for an Indy.
    Apparently Maserati adapted the kit during the 60-70 period, this one could be for a Merak though the tool kits were very similar.

The spark plug spanner is not exactly as indicated in the manual and may be the one for Meraks.
    Also the double-ended wrenches are not of the Lario brand but of the Usag brand (don't know if that was used by Maserati or if it is an alternative set) and the end of the smallest wrench (6 mm) is damaged.

I am satisfied though because these tool kits are quite rare to find.

Attached Files:

indyvignale likes this.