Body Parts Number... | FerrariChat

Body Parts Number...

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Candide, Jul 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    #1 Candide, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi All,

We have on Historical Maseratis, the Maserati serial number, the Ghia or Touring... serial number, but when you dismantle your car, and sandblast each and every part, you can find hidden and stamped body serial numbers. You can find them too oon the chrome parts, including the littlest ones such as the dashboard chrome trims.

One same number for one car.

Does anybody know how would have they been given on Ghibli for example, and in the present case ?

I have in the pic 2 complete sets of left side wings grilles bearing #26 and #960.

Can we determine which chassis they come from ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    On a Ghibli they would stamp either the last 2 or 3 numbers of the VIN. Therefore 960 could be either #960 or #1960.

Ivan

3. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Thx Ivan !

So, there are several cars w/, for example #26 ?

I understand better why all my trims... have that number stamped.

My chassis is xx26.

And I still have the original yellow paint on the inner side oof the side grilles.

On another hand, there's still no 0960 or 1960 on the Registry.

The set I have would come from a crashed car ?

4. alfieri107

alfieri107 Karting

Dec 4, 2011
    With Vignale, it's a bit different. Vignale numbered bodies with odd and even numbers (not only even like the chassis numbers for closed cars). With the Quattroporte, Vignale was at the beginning not in sync with Maserati's chassis production. That's why some of the early cars have often chassis and body numbers wide apart. Later, when production was in a rhythm, body and chassis numbers were closer together, so as an example, chassis 406 (the 203rd produced car) received body 201, most probably produced in the same week, or delivered in the same week as the chassis was finished (they didn't have space to store a lot of bodies, so we can assume they had a weeks production at hand at the factory, Vignale delivered weekly 3 to five bodies. Sometimes, accidentally, the chassis can match the body. Btw, chassis 500 is not number 1000, because with the Quattroporte, the series 1 cars have only 3 digit chassis numbers (260 produced, therefore highest chassis number 520). Series two started with number 1000, of which were 250 built to chassis number 1500. Series 2/12: from 2000 to 2500 (basically three batches at 250 pieces). Vignale didn't care about first or 2nd or 2/12 series (although there were a lot of differences), they numbered continuously. The highest body number is most probably 760. More important is: only body parts that are stamped with the according body number fit well together. More about that here: Production

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Correct. Trims marked with "26" could have come from a number of cars. Since your VIN ends with 26 then you can safely assume they were original to your car.

Ivan

6. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Maybe completely different, maybe not, but I have an Alfa 2600 Touring too, and the hidden body numbers seem to be proper to the series of these cars.

7. Candide

Candide Formula 3

Apr 6, 2017
    Monaco
    Thx Iva !

I must confess I was a little bit worried about that too !!