Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > Maserati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnorell View Post
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-31...-indy-49-indy/

Offering my very rare (1 of 39) 4.9 Indy with ZF 5-speed recently restored in Monterey.

Indy comes with factory air conditioning, power steering, Borrani Dial forged wheels, power windows and a Blaupunkt AM/FM radio (which works properly) - making itquite unique and rare. The Classiche documentation tells a story of an April 1971 order of the Indy by Grossman Motor Cars in New York with a production date of September 1971.

The Indy remains matching numbers and Maserati Classiche certified - with all original parts (engine, chassis, gearbox, wheels, steering wheel, console components, radio, jack and tool kit). A full restoration was completed in April 2017 adding fresh paint and interior, new 205VR14 Michelin XWX on all the wheels including the spare, complete mechanical re-build, electrical re-build, re-finished original steering wheel, chrome work, correct exhaust, re-done car seats, correct column switch, and much more. The Classiche documentation accompanies the car, along with the original owner's manual and receipts from all the restoration work.
Nice car, FYI the steering wheel is on backwards.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Karting
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Peter N
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancars View Post
Thanks for the compliment. My Italian mechanic would beg to differ about the steering wheel.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:43 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Marc Sonnery
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiancars View Post
+1, we are not saying it in an unpleasant way, this is a friendly forum but yes I second that the wheel is back to front. Even poor dear late friend Doug Magnon had the steering wheel of his Khamsin back to front, it is easy enough to correct.

Best of luck with the auction though I wouldd suggest putting Italian Classics with Bonhams, RM or Gooding as opposed to Mecum but then I am biased:-)

Best regards,

MS
Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Cool

[QUOTE=Nembo1777;145522145

...we are not saying it in an unpleasant way, this is a friendly forum...QUOTE]

With the exception of one or two ubiquitous eristic personalities you have to learn to ignore, this is a great place.

[QUOTE...but yes I second that the wheel is back to front...MS.QUOTE]

+1
Regardless of the SW detail, gorgeous Indy.
Congrats on a difficult and impressive restoration!

Regards.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Karting
Rossa Subscribed

It has been corrected. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Filippo
Maserati Indy 4.9

Hey, complimenti as the italians say. If alfieri would have made the steering wheel with pin stripe forward, he might have sold more cars. What a beautiful representation of italian muscle, such detail and execution. Driving the maserati 4.9 is an amazing experience as well. I always say, after getting out of them, that's what ferrari was missing! Low end torque! Such a rare and understated car. I cant believe the low production numbers of the 4.9 indy 5 speed. This car will definitely be a great investment for whoever buys it and it is still a car to be reckoned with on the road. I was lucky to see this Indy in person and the mechanic went through everything and i mean everything. The guy even ceramic coated the exhaust and replaced all the original style heat shields on the exhaust. It was difficult to see a difference. The gentleman explained that he had to use fiberglass but it looked original. I guess asbestos isn't available today. The owner should be very proud of this car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg output.jpg (115.3 KB, 384 views)

Last edited by Rrariboy; 08-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: David
The very first car magazine I ever bought was the January 1979 edition of "Road & Track", which I still have. In the classified section, there was a Maserati Indy for sale. I had never heard of or seen one before, but I thought it was just so cool. Still do. Your car looks fantastic!
Old 08-12-2017, 11:53 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Timo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarnut View Post
1956 A6G/54 Frua spyder
This is by far my favorite Maserati from all the auctions. I would just park it in the garage, sit next to it and watch it all day.
Bonhams : 1956 Maserati A6G/54 Gran Sport Spider Chassis no. 2180 Engine no. 2146
Ivan
Well, I'd rather sit in and drive it all day.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-13-2017, 07:57 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnorell View Post
It has been corrected. Thanks for the input.
Very very nice car, took the time to look at it now, an Indy in that condition, particularly a 4.9 is a true catch congratulations and best of luck with the auction

MS
Old 08-14-2017, 06:58 PM
Karting
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nembo1777 View Post
Very very nice car, took the time to look at it now, an Indy in that condition, particularly a 4.9 is a true catch congratulations and best of luck with the auction

MS
Thanks Nembo1777 for the nice comments. They updated the auction to reflect the 4.9 as one of only 39 made for the US with the ZF 5-speed. Factory A/C, Borrani Dial wheels, power windows, Blaupunkt radio - all functioning and Classiche certified.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-31...erati-indy-49/
Old 08-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Crashed J.Geils Sebring S2

Hi all,

I just want to let all know, who are interested in Mecum Lot S48 (crashed J. Geils Maserati Sebring S2), that the gearbox mentioned in the catalogue in NOT a ZF S5-20.

Itīs a Tremec 5-speed gearbox.

A friend inspected the lot and confirmed.

Keep that in mind when calculating....

Dr. K.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:52 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Hello all,

So both Khamsins in the Bonhams auction sold for the same amount a very proper price in a weekend that is turning out market correct so far. It was worth me following live till 4am here in France last night:-)

Bonhams : Quail Lodge Auction

1224 found a very good home in the US not sure where 210 is headed yet.

It felt good to go through this because 10 years ago I sat up all night in Geneva when my baby 1242 was in the last ever Christie's car auction, at Pebble, when I had not wanted to sell it but had no choice and it...did not sell a double sour taste in my mouth at 6am in Geneva (9 hours ahead of California) hearing a friend in Monterey on the phone say so...I sold it 2 months later though.

So this since I had entered 1224 in this auction for a client and friend felt like payback, yohoo:-)

A good Sunday to all,

MS
Old 08-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

J. Geils Sebring

The J. Geils Sebring just sold for 80.000,---$ netto!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Bora sold...

FYI

1974 Maserati BORA 4.9 USA model
Sold $187,000 USD

EST. PRICE $175K-$225K USD

EXTERIOR Rame Metallizzato
RM Sotheby's
INTERIOR Bone
Lot 266 Monterey

CHASSIS Nš AM117/49-US 766
August 20, 2017 12:43AM (EST)

Regards.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by boralogist View Post
FYI

1974 Maserati BORA 4.9 USA model
Sold $187,000 USD

EST. PRICE $175K-$225K USD

EXTERIOR Rame Metallizzato
RM Sotheby's
INTERIOR Bone
Lot 266 Monterey

CHASSIS Nš AM117/49-US 766
August 20, 2017 12:43AM (EST)

Regards.
Fair result for a driver level Bora.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67bmer View Post
Watching Chasing Classic Cars and What's my Car Worth on Velocity channel, seem like a lot of cars are not meeting their estimates.

If a 1990 Maserati Shamal is $125,000 car, why would a 1989 bi turbo be worth only $12,500??? Wayne Carini says that when a car hits 25 years, it starts to appreciate. I saw a 1989 Porsche that they made several thousand of went for several hundred thousand $. I hear there were fewer than 250 1989's imported into the country. In terms of quantity, they are pretty rare cars. I think they should be worth more than they are. I am 3rd owner with all documents since new.

I really do not accept that they are that bad of cars. They are just as good as any other 1989 car. A 1994 BMW with direct ignition is definitely an improvement and extremely reliable with better electronics and connections.

I have had mine since 1995 and am just starting to get real problems! My rubber fuel line at the fuel pump cracked and started leaking... I also had the clutch master leak onto the floor board that I am in the process of cleaning up and fixing. It's in desperate need of a new top - several tears and a cracked rear window.

I had an electrical problem very early on and cleaned all the connector contacts and relays and have never had a problem since.
looking at the Mecum results from Monterey 2017 most cars failed to meet their estimates! Either cars are not appreciating as much as people hoped/expected or they are systematically over-estimating. I wouldn't think it would take long for the world to catch on if they were always over estimating... I do not watch the auctions that closely.

A couple of comparisons:
1988 Porsche 911 cabriolet, 88,600 mi $31,000
1989* Porsche Turbo cabriolet, 1,322 mi, $220,000 (not sold, Est. $275,000 - 350,000)

seriously, I think a 1989 bi turbo should be somewhere in between those two...

*I did a little digging and was unable to come up with a production number for the 1989 turbo cabriolet! According to the sources I found, there were none. They were produced in 1990, 2067 were brought to the USA a number 10x that of the Maserati.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-30...rbo-cabriolet/

maybe someday my collection will attain a little interest.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-21-2017, 09:29 AM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67bmer View Post
looking at the Mecum results from Monterey 2017 most cars failed to meet their estimates! Either cars are not appreciating as much as people hoped/expected or they are systematically over-estimating. I wouldn't think it would take long for the world to catch on if they were always over estimating... I do not watch the auctions that closely.

A couple of comparisons:
1988 Porsche 911 cabriolet, 88,600 mi $31,000
1989* Porsche Turbo cabriolet, 1,322 mi, $220,000 (not sold, Est. $275,000 - 350,000)

seriously, I think a 1989 bi turbo should be somewhere in between those two...

*I did a little digging and was unable to come up with a production number for the 1989 turbo cabriolet! According to the sources I found, there were none. They were produced in 1990, 2067 were brought to the USA a number 10x that of the Maserati.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-30...rbo-cabriolet/

maybe someday my collection will attain a little interest.
Hello,

Please don't discuss Stuttgart Porkie pies in the Maserati section, I have owned four of them, front engined but this is off topic:-)

As you state you don't follow the auctions that closely...well Mecum is very much second tier (see the comments about how their auctioneers speak as in cattle auction elsewhere in fchat. Looking at Bonhams, Gooding and RM Sothebys they did quite well better than most experts -of which I don't claim to be- expected) It is clear the market slowed down after a couple of crazy years as we already saw last year but this Monterey week was not bad the market is more reasonable but a lot of cars sold quite decently so a lot of the speculators have left the scene with their tail between their legs but you can still work decently within a framework of more realistic prices.

I am traveling to three countries here in Europe within the next week to meet with clients and inspect cars so as long as people are realistic there is movement, deals are made. Those who play Ostrich are left to their own devices until they smell the coffee.

Best regards,

Marc