4200 | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by daglocks, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daglocks

daglocks Rookie

Aug 19, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi, ime new here and looking for advice.
    I won £15000 on the lottery, and want to invest (waste) it on a 4200. I think

1. Over here I could get a 2004 car, what do i need to check when I view cars? I heard there is an issue with brake line corrosion, any other known issues?

2. Which is the best value model? should I be looking for one with skyhook?

3. Would a 3200 be a better bet, they are cheaper but I heard quality was poor before 2003 when Fiat took over, any truth in that?

4. which is the best independent buyers guide? is there a thread here?

Cheers
    Andrew

2. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    #2 4200GT, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look for the 4200 but the GT model. It will prevent you from dealing with the CC trans issues plus you'll have a 6MT to enjoy. It will be hard to find them but worth it.
    I've owned my GT for over a year now and don't regret it one bit.
    Maserati Life Forum might have more info for you. You should post on there too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1 for checking the "other" forum. +1 for the GT "stick shift" version - but there is lots of debate on this subject on the "other forum." Are you looking for a coupe or spyder?
    Jon

4. daglocks

daglocks Rookie

Aug 19, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  5. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    For the 4200 series, "GT" signifies the stick shift for both spyder and coupe. "CC" signifies "cambio corsa" for both and coupe. In North America, you see many ads that will describe the cars as a "GT" but that are actually cambio corsa equipped.

6. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    In the long term, I think the 3200GT, especially the Assetto Corsa special edition, may be a better "investment" than the 4200.

I have not owned a 4200, so I cannot compare it with the 3200GT apart from visually (I find the 3200GT more attractive, but the 4200 is a beauty too), but my 2.5 years of 3200GT ownership have been virtually trouble-free.

7. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    If you have to win money to buy a Maserati, then you probably shouldn't buy a Maserati.

8. 4200GT

4200GT Rookie

Aug 10, 2017
    Mary Esther, FL
    Full Name:
    Marcos
    #Savage lol

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    If you don't have any money to start with then that's valid, however we don't know that.
    Today I would love either a 3200 or 4200 next to my 360 but I can't afford to because until next year I don't have the available cash to buy one. However I do have regular money to maintain one as well as my Ferrari.

Anyway 3200 or 4200. Well first of all Andrew well done for winning on the lottery. You are only the 3rd person I have any connection with whatsoever to have won anything more than a tenner.
    My mother-in-law's (deceased now) next door neighbour's parents won a £1m about 20-23 years ago and a girl I worked with in the late 90's won £25k in a syndicate.

Anyway that done there is a forum in the UK SportsMaserati and you can work out the rest of the domain. I'm not taking anything away from here at all because US forums are a wealth of technical information over many UK forums IMHO but the UK ones will know about UK cars for sale.

I heard stories of manual 3200's having some clutch or gearbox bearing issue. The auto did not and as such was recommended?
    The rear lights on a 3200 are worth it alone :D. 4200 are cam chains as opposed to belts and are naturally aspirated whereas 3200's are turbo.

So many reasons for one over the other depending on the individual but ultimately it comes down to driving them I think.
    There are a couple of 4200 Spyders on eBay between £15k and £17k I quite like the look of.

10. daglocks

daglocks Rookie

Aug 19, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the reply Malc. I do have plenty of other non lottery money, but shhhh! don't tell anyone.
    I want to use the car weekly, as main "best car" so I was thinking 4200, but the whole process started when I saw a 3200 up for auction at Bicester Heritage a few months ago that went for 13,500 IIRC.
    I imagine Maserati didn't make any bad models, but from what I have learned is to check:

1. throttle body wear (do they all wear, and should I make sure it has been changed at "x" miles?)
    2.Clutch at 30,000 miles?
    3.Major services done on time.

Anything else I need to check?

Thanks for help

11. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  12. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    #12 Tony H, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    daglocks, I'm glad you have the financial means to own a Maserati and that you're giving it serious thought. My first comment may have been harsh but there are people who buy on a whim and are then disappointed with what they've done.

My Spyder GT has been very reliable but maintenance costs are at exotic car levels so be prepared for that. If you can find one, a manual transmission cuts out a (probably the) major service cost. On a manual the clutch can last a long time; I've read of more than 50K miles. On major services, I'd say oil changes are the big one. There are at least 6 screen filters inside the engine so oil cleanliness is very important. Good luck in your search.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    4200 is FAR more reliable than the previous model.

It's not just the investment. It's what you spend to keep it running.

14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Go for a 4200 GT (stick shift) but do have money set aside for repairs. Repairs are somewhat frequent, even if small, but pricey since they're rare and the parts prices add up.

Make sure to have a PPI done prior to purchasing it.

15. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #15 TBigs, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Congrats on the big win!

I would suggest you take a serious look at the GranSport. It is the best sorted 4200 (the pinnacle, you might say) and they are selling for a song these days (at least in the USA).

Make sure you do a PPI and buy a car with a solid service history. You don't want to buy a car with deferred maintenance.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #16 F456M, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 4200/Grabsport engine is pretty bullet proof. 3200GT is raising up in value quickly these days. I believe all pre-new QP/Ghibli/Levante era Maseratis will go up in value. These are not as mass produced as the Ferrari/Fiat/De-Tomaso/Citroen/Orsi era cars....!! Now as Maserati has decided to make stylish cars with less "hand build feel" like before, both the 4200 and 3200GT will be "hot". I just bought a 4200 because I wanted better quality and more performance than the 3200GT I had ten years ago, which is a car I miss and resulted in a come-back with Maserati!! These cars are both so old now that ypu need a full check on both of them. The 3200 tended to wear out earlier than the 4200 in my opinion. I guess as many as 50% are no longer on the road, even if their styling is super timeless.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I need the prices to not rise too much. I feel a 4200 Spyder end of next summer. Earliest time I'll probably have cash hanging around :D

18. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I believe all pre-new QP/Ghibli/Levante era Maseratis will go up in value. These are not as mass produced as the Ferrari/Fiat/De-Tomaso/Citroen/Orsi era cars....!!

Please explain.

Thanks.

19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Well, all of these have gone up in value the last years. The 3200GT just started a few months ago in Europe! The 4200 is still cheap (even though it is a better car than all its older sisters...). However, it seems that these cars are build is a lot smaller numvbers, and will probably be more sought after as time goes by. The latest era with Chrysler involved, and not very hand made feel anymore, there is a definite change in Maserati feel. Therefor it is likely that these cars will hold their value better.

20. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    #20 Tony H, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    When the 4200 line started it had Ferrari DNA and it competed with the likes of Porsche. They actually had manual transmissions. Maserati's today compete with BMW and are basically "luxury vehicles". They're in a different market segment. Nothing really wrong with that but Maserati's are not the same. Only the name lives on.

They may go up in value if there are buyers who covet them. I'm not sure there are such buyers in today's market.

21. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    ... so, Ferrari's/FCA's "masterplan" actually worked, eventually?! ... I have never understood how "Ferrari DNA" would ever rescue Maserati. Would not that be an oxymoron, if there was one in the auto business ?!

22. Tony H

Tony H Karting

Sep 3, 2013
    In my case. the reason I bought my Spyder was not that I was a great lover of Maserati. I had a Series 4 Alfa Spider that I was happy with. I bought the Maserati because piece by piece it was an outstanding car and was a great bargain. The car buy of a lifetime.

23. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Great cars.

Does everything a Vatnage does, with far better looks and equal performance.

True gems.

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #24 F456M, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    It is true that the 4200 may not yet go up in value in the current market situation. I feel that despite the fact that they have a Ferrari/Maserati engine, they are more "exclusive" than their new sisters (except Quattroporte V which is a fantastic design and has a great feel + that same engine). However, the 3200GT is now definately on its way up. Two-three years ago, we asked ourselves the same question about that model. Now the fact that a 4200 is cheaper to maintain with its cam chain rather than belt, has great sound and performance, will be factors that people who intend to keep their cars for a long time will really apprechiate. They do also chare the same design platform, but unfortunately without those beautiful rear boomerang lights... It means that there will be less cars availible for sale, something that will also help the prices raising up.

About the "rescue" with Ferrari controlled leadership (Maserat was owned by Fiat since 1992 anyway...), in the summer of 1997, Maserati needed new technology, more money and what Ferrari did was to redesign the Quattroporte IV to become the Quattroporte V6/V8 Evoluzione. The following year, the first 3200s came out. That was a completely new car and it was selling well. Then later on in 2002, the 4200 came. So it is safe to say, that the Ferrari DNA, leadership and new investments have saved the marque. Not the 80/90-ies biturbo era image, but the exclusive brand Maserati was given a new birth. But these new volume models..?!?! No, they do no good for Maseratis exclusive, low volume "Aston Martin" kind of brand equity.

25. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So the fact that Maserati didn't make very much if any money until they drastically changed direction is to be completely overlooked?

You're looking at it from a historically romantic viewpoint. Companies don't survive on romance alone. They had to change. So did Lamborghini and plenty of us ***** about the very same thing with that marque as well. There was no room for Maserati as a low volume exclusive manufacturer in the marketplace. Lamborghini was on life support for mamn, many years until Audi took over. None of that makes the previous cars unworthy of consideration for collectors but they certainly weren't as well manufactured as today's cars.

Personally, I don't think Maserati is out of the woods just yet.