DC Ferrari History? | FerrariChat

DC Ferrari History?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by DennisForza, Feb 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Who had the DC area Ferrari franchise before American Service Center?

Anyone remember Throughbred Motors at the corner of Washington and Wilson Blvd in Arlington? Were they ever official?

2. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    HBL.... or Heishman in Alexandria... Route 1 Jeff Davis Hwy.

I actually met Ed Waterman, the guy who used to run Thoroughbred Motorcars, down in Ft Lauderdale while we were at Cavallino. He runs Motorcar Gallery now down there. Thouroughbred was not an official dealership. Still wish I had bought that blue 330 2+2 for $16K back in the day. That was an interesting time to be into classic sportscars in the DC area as there was no less than 3 dealer in the Wilson Blvd./Little Saigon area that sold cars in various stages of need. Behind Thouroughbred there was a guy that dealt in vintage british cars and Maserati. That was the first time I ever saw a Mistral spyder.... or a Ghibli... very cool.
    Across the street was a guy that sold classic muslecars... almost bought a fully restored '56 T-Bird for $9K from that one.

ProCoach likes this.
  3. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks! So either HBL in Tysons or what is now BMW/Porsche of Arlington huh?

The old british car shop with the parking on the roof, what great architecture for a auto shop, is now a used tire shop, kind of a shame. Hopefully a real quality shop can move back in there and save it to be what it should be before that block is razed to put up another Ballston style mid-rise.

I wish I could have convinced my dad to have bought the 250gt swb that was listed for about three months in the washington post for $5000 in the late 70's..... Being in 3rd grade I did not have the funds or right s to the garage at the time.... took me another eight years to get the funds for the falling apart GT4, we got many of the parts and hints at rebuilding on a HS budget through Thoroughbred.

4. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I bought a car from Ed Waterman in 1976 when his showroom was in the garage of an office building in the DC area. it was a silver/french blue GTC. Ed and his significant other had driven the car in Europe for a month or so before bringing it over. Car was my only car for 5 of its 9 years in my ownership. The other dealer that had cars was John Levy. Not sure exactly where, but somewhere in the DC marketplace.

Now Ed Waterman is in FL, John Levy is at Shelton in FL and I'm in FL. Is the earth tilting South?

ProCoach likes this.
  5. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Actually where the Porsche dealer is in Arlington.... sold right along side the Ferraris and BMWs.... I remember seeing a blue GTB very similar to the 76 Frankfurt show car on their showroom floor back in 1977. I was amazed how beautiful that car was. Around 1981 my dad was working for the Navy over in Balston so I spent everyday over there hanging around at ASC and the other places.... Yeah... good stuff!

6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Embarrassed to say, but I remember the Ferrari's over at Heishman and the Pcars. Whenever my dad was going down to NAtional for a trip I would go along so I could see the cars for the brief second and of course the trains across the street!
    After high school I was driving a 528i BMW for a developer company in the area doing courier work, I often drove by AMSC so I could see the Ferari 328 and 308 in the windows! I thought a couple of times about pulling in to get a closer look but always chickened out. I figured they might give me a chance since I was driving the BMW.

Robert

Ryan S. and DennisForza like this.
  7. Rafienva

Rafienva Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Ralph(Rafi) Cestero
    Heishmans sold the Ferrari franchise to American Service Center in Arlington in 1981. Prior to Heishman's it was International Motors in Falls Church (now a Saab dealer) Ed Waterman owned Thouroughbred in Arlington, no affiliation with Ferrari. FOW since 1995.

8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I appriciate the history lesson!!!

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #9 toggie, Feb 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    If they got $17k for the 275 GTB/4 the 250gt in the Post Classifieds must have been a basket case! But what a very valuable basket case it would be today! Sure would have been a fun project! Sounds like Mr. Waterman drove a hard bargin. ;) Anyone know his mechanics names or if they are still in the area. I wish I remembered the names, they sure were helpful to me and my brothers.

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Toggie,
    How do you find this stuff???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am constantly amazed at what you can find and disminate here on Fchat!

Robert

12. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Yeah, not sure why, some things just interest me and I poke around a bit to see what is out there.

I also got lucky today on the "Guess the car" thread. Look at posts #1385 - #1391 in this link.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=137501011#post137501011
    A 1948 Lancia Aprilia, what's that?!

13. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    impressive............. most impressive

14. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    bought my 9 year old dodge challenger in 79 for $600. Just to give some perspective.

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    My memory of Thoroughbred was that the cars were absolutely crammed in a very tiny space. a rickety garage door was all that separated the cars from traffic whizzing by on Washington Boulevard about 8 feet away. It is now a (small) Petco.

the british garage across the street was Motorhead; Jeff Burns moved that operation out to Old Lee Highway about 15 years ago?

16. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    True, but he rear lot was pretty big and the shop was not that small.

I think the petco has closed shop. With all the redevelopment going on in Clarendon, who knows what that property will look like in 10 months.

17. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    My recollection of Ed Waterman's place is much the same. Anyone remember the other erstwhile area Ferrari dealer, Schwing Motors on Keswick Rd. in Baltimore? In '73 I remember seeing a new white/blue 246 GT on the showroom floor next to a new white/red BMW 3.0CS (they sold BMW and Saab too) and thinking that they were both lovely, in what turn out to have been unusual color combinations for both cars. In '75 when Schwing lost/gave up the Ferrari franchise, they were discounting Ferraris heavily in order to move them- those were the days. Of course, all you could buy new at that point were 308 GT4s, but still . . .

18. Rob Blasdel

Rob Blasdel Rookie

Mar 20, 2013
    I worked for Ed for three years in the early 80's. It was spelled in the modern (and rare, like the cars) form of the word: Thorobred. Located at 3200 N. Washington Blvd. the building is gone, it's now a small park. The front showroom held about six cars. The back showroom was good for about 25 cars max. We had an auxiliary storage lot in Ed's old location, which was the underground parking garage of a small office building on Fairfax Dr. The technician at the time was the late Peter Lee.

Fynmere likes this.
  19. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Rob,

Thanks for sharing the information! Any old pics to share by chance??

20. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    Who owns FoW now? I was told the same person that owns FoW also owns the Ferrari dealerships in San Diego and Orange County. Someone else told me that was not true. FoSD did the PPI on mine when I bought it from an independent dealer in SD in March. FoSD was absolutely great to deal with.

21. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ah.....Thoroughbred Motors....loved that place. In 1980 they had a MINT 250 GT Lusso for on $12,500. One of my major life regrets is not finding a way to buy that car. Of course, I was 24 at the time and my salary was less than $20K, and I would have certainly killed myself in that car.....but what a way to go!

22. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
  23. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    That info is spot on!

My dad used to take the family to a frozen custard place across the street from Thoroughbred Motorcars when they sat on the corner of Wilson & Washington Boulevard. Of course I always wanted to go across the street to see the "cool cars" and Ed always welcomed us while asking me to "please not touch." As I grew older, I came by and he'd let me sit in them.. as I reached driving age and I stopped by often, he'd say "oh, go on back there's a GTC or Ghibli I know you will like! I'd hang around for hours and pass tools to Peter ?? the mechanic who used to work there, and passed away some years back. (those who have been around will know who I'm speaking of as he had his own shop in Leesburg I think after leaving Thoroughbred)

So, it was Ed that I must blame for nurturing this bad habit for sexy exotic cars. We are still friends today and I visit him anytime I go to FLA. BTW, I think he still has that blk 500 Superfast that he's had for years!

24. apexnut

apexnut Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    Fairfax Station, VA
    #25 apexnut, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a front view of Thorobred Motocars circa 1985
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DennisForza likes this.