Fire at the Marriott House | FerrariChat

Fire at the Marriott House

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 355dreamer, Aug 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I hope everyone is OK. Apparently, it started in the garage. Does anyone know if John Marriott had a car collection like his father's?

2. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  3. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow!

Thankfully the home was under construction and there was no loss of life or personal possessions (although cost of the damage is approx. $4 Million). I wish Mr. Marriott all the best as he tries to recover from that.

Bill

4. e36t2

e36t2 Karting

May 14, 2006
    #4 e36t2, Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    wow thats no fun, luckily it was only 30% into the building phase. I used to work for the whole family here in New Hampshire and to answer the question of his collection of cars, he does not have as big of a collection as his father, but he is a very nice guy. And on his fathers collection very nice choice, some are a little odd, but otherwise nice. It was always my favorite part of the day when I had to go wipe all the cars down.

5. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Please do tell which cars you consider odd...

6. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How terrible, luckily no one was injured---Fire investigators beleive it was spotaneous combustion..

7. whatsupofficer

whatsupofficer Formula Junior

May 25, 2007
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Carlos
    Luke ,
    I have friends that live next door to John Mariott's lot in Potomac Falls. I knew that he had bought a $4mm home and then tore it down. He was building a home that was to contain a 14 car garage with and elevator. i suppose he was planning to fill up that garage. What a shame. At least no one was hurt.

8. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I live around the corner from the house, which is on Pleasant Hill Drive. You need to view the site to believe it, the only thing standing from the house and the garage, which were pretty far along, is the masonry. There is a building in back of the house that is framed, that was does not look like it was affected by the fire - actually, it looks to be a Chapel under construction.

Our security guard told me it took only about 15 minutes to be nearly completely burned down. Very unfortunate, but noone appears to have been injured, so that is the good news.

Rob

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #9 LetsJet, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
    What a shame.....

We had a house burn to the ground in my neighborhood. I got a great view of how fast a house can be destroyed by fire. Sadly, it was during Christmas (Christmas wiring) and my neighbors had already moved in. They lost everything, and I think that's the worst.

Hopefully the Marriotts didn't lose anything in the fire and it's just a matter of rebuilding.

10. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    I was fortunate enough to meet up w/John at his home for a private tour for me, a college kid, and his dad (long story).

John was kind enough to open his garage to us before we drove down the street to get a 2-hour private tour of his dad's garage.

John had an eclectic mix in the garages that day: An old Jag (1950s vintage, similar to his dad's car), a F-California Spider, and some Detroit iron. He had an 1980s vintage Trans Am in the garage and told me that he had rebuilt the engine himself when he was in college. He also had a 1960s era GTO (which got him and my wife talking for about 30 minutes). He's a true car buff. We didn't stay long - I hopped in the Jag w/him and we drove to his dad's house to see Bill's collection of cars.

I'm very glad no one was injured.

11. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    John's uncle, Dick Marriott, lives two houses from where the house was being constructed, is in to American iron, although I do not believe he has a large collection.

12. sat

sat Rookie

Feb 28, 2008
    potomac
    Full Name:
    Saam T
    i live a few houses down from the site and i was told that its was a 23 car garage but it looks like it could hold more than that. i was out of town when his house caught on fire but it was a spectacular french château

Dick Marriott has a large collection of vintage motorcycles that he rides regularly, for cars however i have seen his Chip Foose Prowler, Model T and a really cool Pontiac GTO but no F cars i know of

13. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Is there any confirmation if any of these cars or bikes were lost in the fire?

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    from what I heard, the house was only under construction; a whole lot of wood framing went up in smoke, but that's about it.