am I screwed? I need a traffic lawyer for VA ticket | FerrariChat

am I screwed? I need a traffic lawyer for VA ticket

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by turbos7903, Aug 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    OK just two hours ago traveling Rt 66 in VA got pulled over for 82 in a 55. No idea it was a speed limit of 55 but doesnt matter. On top of it I have a permanent mounted Radar detector and it was unplugged but still mounted. Officer gave me No break on either count so I have a summons to go to court for Reckless speeding for 20+ mph over speed limit and radar detector. Need a referral to an attorney as I HAVE to go to court. What is your experience? What am I facing likely? Any suggestions? Jon Helpless and not in Delaware

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Man that really sucks! They don't play around in VA.

I'll ask around, what county are you scheduled to appear?

I've heard Virginia traffic court is wonderful ;). I am sure things will go very smoothly.... but just in case, I would consider banjo lessons and vaseline. It will make you real popular in the clinker.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Jon,

Reckless driving for 20+ mph over is a serious charge. Treated the same in VA as a DUI.

Which county is the ticket issued for? Fairfax Co., Prince William Co., ??.
    The county makes a small difference on who is the best attorney to recommend.

Highly recommend you hire an attorney for this.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Jon,

PM sent.

5. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    County is Fairfax. Thanks Jon

6. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    What car were you in?

7. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Fairfax is by far the toughest local county on traffic violations. Especially reckless. From experience (although I was on a bike with the same numbers.)

Good luck.

8. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #8 ProRallyCodriver, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    Fairfax blows. Its all about revenue to pay for lavish courthouse, Taj Mahal government building, police helicopters,..... Yet, can't/don't prosecute felony embezzlement cases because there is no $ in it for them. From what I've seen, probably rapist and worse walking the streets also.

9. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  10. CrusaderTBC

CrusaderTBC Karting

Apr 28, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Tony
    You only have to go 15+ mph above the limit to qualify for reckless. Reckless is a class 1 misdemeanor in VA. maximum penalties include: $2500, up to 12mo in jail, 6pts and suspended license.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #11 JoeZaff, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
    FWIW,
    regardless of what Virginia wants to call 20+ mph, Delaware will consider your conduct, not the offense, in regards to your driver's license. Another words, if Virginia wants to make driving over 10 MPH over the limit a capital crime, that is their problem and you will have to deal with them, but Delaware is ultimately going to treat it as it would if you were driving 10 MPH over in Delaware.

It MAY also be the case that certain offenses aren't reported to DE. I haven't seen the reciprocity agreement between the two states.

Here is DE's statute adopting the Driver's License Compact as pulled off their website.

ARTICLE IV

Effect of Conviction

(a) The licensing authority in the home state, for the purposes of suspension, revocation or limitation of the license to operate a motor vehicle, shall give the same effect to the conduct reported, pursuant to Article III of this compact, as it would if such conduct had occurred in the home state in the case of convictions for:

(1) Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle;

(2) Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a narcotic drug, or under the influence of any other drug to a degree which renders the driver incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;

(3) Any felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle is used;

(4) Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another.

(b) As to other convictions, reported pursuant to Article III, the licensing authority in the home state shall give such effect to the conduct as is provided by the laws of the home state.

(c) If the laws of a party state do not provide for offenses or violations denominated or described in precisely the words employed in subdivision (a) of this article, such party state shall construe the denominations and descriptions appearing in subdivision (a) of this article as being applicable to and identifying those offenses or violations of a substantially similar nature and the laws of such party state shall contain such provisions as may be necessary to ensure that full force and effect is given to this article.

12. Monto

Monto Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2009
    Jon,

My son got one for doing 84 in 55 last night. Since we don't live in VA, the cop told him that he had to call the number and they would give him the fine to send in. This was on the Eastern Shore, so it may be different, but still VA. Jodi went on the state web site and they give the fines as $62 plus $5 per mile over the limit. Before you get a lawyer, call the number on the ticket and ask.

Good luck and we will trade war stories as the drama progresses.

13. David4315

David4315 Rookie

Dec 13, 2007
    It just happened to me last Feb. I was pulled by the Park Police for 62 in a 40. Like your experience, the officer was a humorless sob. Because I maintain a security clearance I did not want to mess with this and got a lawyer. Ironicly I showed up to court early and the prosecuting attorney immediately agreed to drop the reckless and just give me the fine before my attorney had even showed up. Again, don't panic and be respectful in he process and you will likely just get a small fine.

14. RaptorAKL

RaptorAKL Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    McLean, VA
    Is the $1000 "evil driver" fine still included as part of going 80+?

15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yup, that sucked, and I will never have residency in VA again. EVER.

Anyway, to the OP, your issue will be with the way the VA Code is written. In VA, it's either 20mph or more over the limit OR over 80mph. They've got you either way. At first blush, since you're only 2mph over 80, I suspected they'll deal you down to a mere speeding. However, the way the code is, you're also 8mph over the 10-19 over the limit citation. Since you're not a VA resident, the real question is what reciprocity does DE have with VA. Don't know. That's going to be critical.

FYI, jail time in FX county is only for 90mph and up. It's an "unwritten rule". But, it certainly makes sense to inquire with an attorney, regardless, as being caught in the mill as grist doesn't feel so good. Especially if you could have done something to easily save yourself. You might be able to push for a PBJ (Probation Before Judgment) and agree to a driver improvement program. Lots of options to derail this, though.

Good luck.

CW

16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    CW,

Glad you explained what "PBJ" means.
    I was thinking "peanut butter & jelly sandwich" - perhaps something they serve in FFX jail if you're good.

17. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    no; repealed two years ago.

18. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    Jon -

A friend of mine was caught at over 100mph in a 55. His attorney managed to bargain him down to 1 night in jail and $1500 fine (I think 30 days suspended). Originally, he was looking at a week or two and a much larger fine.

As others have said, get an attorney. I will find out if his was in Fairfax and if so the name of his counsel.

Note also Joe Z's comment on how DE is involved. Any guilty plea or judgment may come to bite you in Delaware as well. Even if VA lets you off with a fine, if the entered judgment fits in a DE violation, you will be assessed points and license privilege penalties as if the infraction incurred in DE. DE is one of the few states to do this. I have DE points, regrettably, as a result of a FL citation I could not contest. I have heard that some people get lucky and the report never makes it onto their license. Regardless, keep this in mind when you negotiate your deal.

19. clickclickboom

clickclickboom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    PA
    Full Name:
    Terry
    My brother-in-law got hit yesterday for 70 in a 55. He was on 301 coming back from Duck. He was in the minivan, polite, apoligetic and got no slack. He asked the officer what the total fine was going to be, he said "I don't know".

20. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Jon, my neighbour was caught 81 in a 55 in Fairfax - he got a lawyer but still had costs circa $1K but no points - happened a couple of years back, he'll see if he has any contact details to pass along.

Jeez when they compare this to being DUI - they clearly have their heads up their arses !

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    It's true...the judge gave me jail time, but a 1st offense in VA for DUI (at the time) came with no jail time (other than what was served directly after being pulled over). VA is off the hook loony.

CW

22. nickd

nickd Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2006
    Landenberg PA
    Full Name:
    Nick Dunlop
    Jon, my neighbour was caught 81 in a 55 in Fairfax - he got a lawyer but still had costs circa $1K but no points - happened a couple of years back, he'll see if he has any contact details to pass along.

Jeez when they compare this to being DUI - they clearly have their heads up their arses !

23. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ummm, its Fairfax Virginia, its not the only thing they have up their arses.

<<<<<<<<insert banjo music here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

24. David4315

David4315 Rookie

Dec 13, 2007
    Also meant to mention my fine was only 150 plus court costs.

25. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Personally, I just choose to play their game to win - I don't drive so fast and they don't take my money. I call that a "win" in my column.

I may not like it, but I like them taking my money even less. "Cost-benefit"....

But that's just me....

gp