New track approved in VA | FerrariChat

New track approved in VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by bobzdar, Jun 11, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
  2. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
  3. PhillipJ

PhillipJ Karting

Jan 4, 2010
    Alexandria
    Full Name:
    Phillip Jones
    That would be fantastic!

4. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    That would be awesome!!!! I have been wishing for a road course closer to me. Time to buy a track car :)

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The group building it are the owners of Old Dominion Raceway that was open for around 60 years, so it's not a pie in the sky type of thing and has been in the works for a while. I'm hoping they meet their goal of having the 1/8 strip, oval, road course and main buildings built and open by next summer, though all I really care about is the road course. Their location is pretty much perfect, right off of 95 and right in the middle of D.C. and Richmond. It's only 45 minutes from my house so will be an easy drive for me.

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Getting from DC to that location certainly will not be pleasurable but beggars can't be choosers!

Looking forward to seeing it and driving it in person.

Any news on whether there will be paved run off on each of the corners?

LS

7. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Yay! Right down the road from me... I had heard this was in the works but didn't realize there was going to be a road course. Now I am much more interested.

8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I would imagine most folks going to the track will either be heading out long before the beach crowd on the wekends, and will be going against traffic on the weekdays. It is getting home that will suck in the evenings.

9. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Agreed, prob not too bad for a weekday track event...can't wait to see it.

LS

10. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    I found a WTOP.com article from the end of May that says the track has county approval but is waiting on VDOT approval. Hopefully that comes through as well... Looks like they at hoping to open in 2014.

Maybe by then the HOV expansion work will be done and make for a nicer ride for you guys coming from the DC area.

11. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    And getting out to Summit Point is any easier? Not for some of us.... ;)

It'll be interesting to see if this comes to fruition, or if it succeeds. I hope so, but I think it'll be tough without any (or with very little) name recognition. SP at least held big pro races back in the 70's/80's, so they are known.

If this road course does open, and gets SCCA participation/events, I know where I'll be. Back in SCCA!

gp

12. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Giving it a full 1/4 strip would also do wonders, get the NHRA Mid-Atlantic Summer Nationals there! The place has potential, location, and the available space to be a real motorsports mecca! Every other mid-Atlantic track seems to be an out of the way hike to get to.

13. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #13 MBFerrari, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    I just heard about this from the guys at Classic Car Center in Fredricksburg. It is a go from what they heard. Should be cool....

14. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I enjoy Summit but it is definitely bare bones.

It would be nice to see some updated plans!

LS

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Wish the road course was longer. Love VIR and Watkins Glen. Would be great to have a local track to compete with those.

16. Pantera1523

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    #16 Pantera1523, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    Just did a google search trying to find more info on this new track. Found their website which claims they are opening Feb 2015!! The calendar on the side is already filling up with events but no details on the events. I'm really hoping they do something similar to Friday At The Track like Summit Point does.

Also no detailed track maps yet, though one description says it is 2 miles with 12 turns and another says 14 turns...

Here is the link I found if anyone wants to check it out. Dominion Raceway | Dominion Raceway

Edit: Just found an updated overall map showing the whole facility. Pull down the Navigation menu and select DR Map. I missed it the first time as I was looking at it on my iPad.