456 Straight Pipes | FerrariChat

456 Straight Pipes

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Bill17013, Jan 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    I want to replace the muffler on my 456 with straight pipes. Does anyone know a place in central PA that can fabricate the straight pipes in ss and make the swap? I'm told that any good muffler shop can do it, but I haven't had to replace a muffler or have exhaust work performed for 20-25 years, maybe more. Thanks.

2. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    I know a fantastic shop that will do stainless steel straight pipes for your car, but unfortunately is located here in VA. Let me know if you can't find anything local and I can give you the info. He did stainless straight pipes for my M5 that are amazing!

3. Evan.Fiorentino

Evan.Fiorentino F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    South East Florida
    Full Name:
    Evan
    Might be worth the trip out here to Fabspeed on a nice day!

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Won't that make the car crazy loud? Also, doesn't that fail inspection? Why not just put a nice street legal free flow exhaust on it?

I'm just curious why you'd do that. (Except of course for loudness.)

D

5. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    D - I don't know the answer to "crazy loud", and the answer to that affects the inspection answer. I don't want loud. I do want more of the classic V12 sound and looking for ways to achieve it. This may or may not be the right direction. Maybe free flow is the answer. And, the sound may not be obtainable.

Don't know what part of the suburbs you are from, but have you ever eaten at the Frebch restaurant in Ardmore on Lancaster Avenue? La Maisan (sp). Wonderful.

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hey Bill.

I have not been to La Maison in Ardmore. Are we talking high end, uber rich French food?

And in PA, unless you have a friend who will pass you, a modified exhaust without mufflers will fail inspection 100% of the time.

067 Pa. Code § 175.80. Inspection procedure.

straight pipes are not street legal in PA.

7. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    D - I am not eliminating all of the mufflers, just the one between the cats and the rear mufflers. Guess that wasn't clear. Seems the easiest place to start sound adjustments. Bill

8. Sechsgang

Sechsgang Formula Junior

May 29, 2006
    Wayne, PA
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Yellow awning right off of rt 30 around suburban sq...nice place actually.

9. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    Drew - I had dinner there recently. I agree. It is a nice place. Does the Molin Body Shop in Wayne still exist?

10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    What year is your 456? Look into Classic plates if it is 15 years old.

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Then it might just fly, although I dunno.

I think the easiest/best place to start would be with a good, high end shop that works on Ferrari exhaust systems. Most even post youtube videos that give you a clue as to how they'd sound.

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

only Antique plates in PA make you exempt from inspection.

If you do 5K miles a year, or less, you're exempt from emissions inspection, but that's just the measurements at the tailpipe, not an exemption from having a working muffler.

13. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like your attitude. I ran straight side pipes on my 67 vet for 20 years. The insides rusted and I had them cut in half and the guts removed and re-wielded. The wife used ear plugs. I redid the system last year with larger stainless pipes. They sound great. My 72 Ferrari has three systems. Straight through resonators and original mufflers, original resonators, or muffler delete\straight pipe replacements. Ran the straight setup several times for over a year and then switched back. It's like a drug especially on the track or flat out beside a Jersey barrier. It's not for everyone though, some think your nuts to do it. You'll never be satisfied until you try it. I had the resonators made with stainless at a hot-rod muffler shop and pipes by Midas.

14. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Didn't say a Classic tag make the car exempt, just suggested looking into getting one for it. As far as the less than 5k a year, it is only a visual inspection that a cat is in place. Since there are a series of mufflers on the car. The best option is having the car inspected at general shop that doesn't exactly know what should be on the car.

15. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    #15 BRADAN, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

I really don't want to get into a semantics argument in an exhaust thread.

Looks like Bradan may have a nice alternative, assuming it passes muster with PA DOT.

A visual inspection by anyone who isn't an idiot would locate missing cats. Secondary resonators, I'm not so sure, but brand spanking new straight pipes would sure as hell be a good clue.

I hate state inspections that focus on stuff that does no harm. This is one of those items. As long as your car doesn't throw a check engine light, switching out a part of the exhaust that doesn't effect emissions should be a no brainer.

D

17. Bill17013

Bill17013 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Bill Kramer
    It appears Bradan has exactly what I want. I call it a muffler. Some call it a resonator. I can now call it outa here! Sorry if my initial post was confusing. Thanks for all the answers. Bill

18. Sechsgang

Sechsgang Formula Junior

May 29, 2006
    Wayne, PA
    Full Name:
    Drew
    No idea haha. I've been away for a while.

19. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    Fabspeed Motorsport USA manufacturers 456 high flow catalytic converters and center resonator muffler center section high flow x pipes. Visit our website for pictures and details.

A center muffler under car X pipes is a simple cost effective high performance upgrade that adds both power and sports car sound. No one makes rear muffler bypass pipes tat I know. It's easily doable but one would have to fabricate the proper pipes and hangars and quad tips.

Evan at fabspeed can help with any Ferrari requests.

20. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Nouvalari-USA makes 456 exhaust delete pipes.
    Give me a call
    610-788-2123
    100% polished t 304. Stainless

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk