Classics On The Green | FerrariChat

Classics On The Green

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 360gtracer, Mar 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Mid-Atlantic folks,

With my old blue car, I've become involved with the Central Virginia British Car Club (CVBCC). Some of you may be familiar with the annual "Classics On The Green" show held at the New Kent Winery in New Kent, VA and hosted by the CVBCC. This is the same show which used to be held on Brown's Island in Richmond ("Classics On The James" then).

Each year they have a "featured marque" - last year was Mercedes-Benz, and several classic and iconic M-Bs were give prime "real estate" for display. As it was also the 50th anniversary of the Porsche 911, the Porsche club was invited to bring one of each year 911 - there were probably more than 50 911s all lined up along the fence which separates the show field from the vineyard.

This year (September) the featured marque is Ferrari. I was speaking with the show's organizer just yesterday, and they'd love to see a great turn-out of Ferraris this year (there were very few last year). They are willing to do the legwork to set up something nice, but there would probably need to be a sponsor involved to help cover costs (only actual costs, no pass-thru for the organizer). Additionally, it would be great to see some very classic or iconic Ferraris (about 4-6 cars) for the "prime real estate" display.

If anyone has contacts which may lead to a sponsorship (FoW, FCI, Competizione, other??) or a classic car which could be part of the prime area display, please let me know or have them contact me directly.

Thanks!

gp

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You want a 2005 612 Scaglietti?

3. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #3 Cobraownr, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Bob/Don - they would both be great for the display! Thanks!

I'll keep in touch - still lots of time. BTW - COTG weekend is Sept 13-14, actual show is on the 14th.

gp

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I realize mine is still more old than classic at this point, so if you need to bump me at some point, I'll understand.

6. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It's never too early to plan for an event in September. The Classics on the Green is a well run event you definitely don't want to miss it. I will be there with the Mondial.

Bill P.

7. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #7 360gtracer, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Classics On The Green is also growing. I don't know if the full agenda is published yet, but Saturday will include a JCNA-sponsored Jaguar Concours at the event hotel (Wyndham Virginia Commons), a road rally, and a very nice dinner w/ excellent music provided by Richmond's own Kings of Swing (The Official Kings of Swing Website :: Virginia's Party Band for Weddings and Parties!). Sunday will be a guided tour from the hotel out to the show field at the New Kent Winery. Promises to be a fun weekend.

gp

p.s. - I've been out to see KOS twice now, and for a swing-type cover band, they are EXCELLENT.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I should be there, I live about 10 minutes away.

9. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Now that the FCA National is in the history books, I wanted to bump this thread and get more word out about the show.

We're hoping for a really good Ferrari turnout this year, and are planning a few special things. Ferraris will have the premiere show spots. Additionally, Ferrari owners will have access to the large tent, where we hope to have tables, chairs, and refreshments available.

Please put September 14th on your calendar, and if you have a Ferrari or two you'd like to bring out (especially a vintage or more "special" Ferrari), please let me know.

Bob/Don - still hope to see you and your cars there. Let me know when you can commit - we can probably use them in one of the special displays we have in mind.

Thanks!

gp

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My vehicles may change by then, but I should be able to bring whatever I'm driving at the time. I'm trying to move the 612 and have a deposit on a 599. Possible though I could still have both by then but I'm reverting the 612 back to stock, removing the stick on shields, picking up stock rims, so it'll be even more appropriate for your show if I still have her. The 599 will also be stock anyway. I have family down that way, and would love to come, see no reason why I would miss it. I can't swear something won't come up, but count me in.

11. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I will attest based on last years event, this was a first class event. Well organized, various food and wine booths with seating inside tents to enjoy lunch. Beautiful scenery of all the cars displayed on the vineyard hills.

12. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    #12 dsd, Jul 3, 2014
    My 575 and I did Classic on the James in 2007 and even came home with a plate :)

Can you share exact dates and location, I'd love to participate again.

While not a vintage Ferrari, its my baby:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Found the website, looks like it is September 14. However, Car Registration appears closed, as well as tickets?

Register a Car

Broken Website? Not a good way of still adding cars :)

-dsd

14. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    DSD,

I don't think Registration is open yet. I think what George is trying to do is just get people interested and talking about the event. I'm sure George will get in touch with the event organizer's and let them know about their website/registration.

By the way, you don't have to have a vintage car to participate...Just a Ferrari! I remember your car from the 2007 event! Hope to see you down there this year!

Bill P.

15. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #15 360gtracer, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Yes, Bill is correct. And sorry I haven't responded sooner - was out of town all of last week.

Ferrari is the featured marque this year, so we're trying to garner as much interest as we can. I will certainly point out to the organizers the website problem. They typically open it up a bit closer to the event than we are used to (with FCA events). Please keep trying.

There is a large tent which will be turned over for exclusive Ferrari use. FCA-MAR will provide a little something, and we're looking for other small "sponsorships" to help make it nice for the Ferrari owners there.

We're planning a display of some very special cars at the top of the hill, and will very likely (though this could still change....) have all the Ferrari show cars lining the walkways into and out of the tent. This area is visible from all across the show field - it should be visually stunning.

And don't forget that it is expanding to a weekend long event. Welcome reception Friday evening, JCNA-sanctioned Jaguar concours at the event hotel (Wyndham Virginia Crossings) on Saturday, a road rally on Saturday, dinner with live music (Richmond's own "Kings of Swing" - GREAT band!) on Saturday evening, show car "parade" from hotel to show field on Sunday morning, and then the show itself Sunday morning/afternoon.

It should be a fun time - I plan to participate in as much as possible, since the old blue Jag is running so well now! :)

gp

p.s. - just looked at the website - registration should be open *TODAY*! (let me know if you have any problems)

16. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Cool, I will register. Wonder if I should put the 2011 XJL SC on the lawn (a bit of modern)?

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Love the wheels on your 575!

18. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    Registered with a room at the Wyndham. Hope to see everyone there!

-dsd

19. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    #19 dsd, Jul 15, 2014
  20. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell

George,

Just a heads up - Trying to register for the weekend package. Link is not working, it just reloads another information page.

Curtis

21. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Yes, I sent that problem to them yesterday. I hope they get it working soon....

Thanks very much Curtis!

gp

22. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #22 285ferrari, Jul 16, 2014
  23. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #23 ProRallyCodriver, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
    I haven't been much of a carshow person. Always more into racing but getting older and slower now. Wine and classic cars? Sounds like worth the drive down and I just had my complete exhaust ceramic coated last week and wheels powder coated today so car is looking spiffy to show. So you just get a grassy parking space, open your engine compartment and stand around? Intriguing.

24. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Well that depends on what you're driving Dave. ;) If you're driving a Ferrari, you get a primo parking spot along the walkways into the tent. And if you're driving a really, REALLY COOL Ferrari, you could get and even more primo spot! :)

gp

25. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #25 ProRallyCodriver, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    No Ferraris.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1043959_10201384129713005_2071661258_n.jpg

and/or

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/542641_431781020216423_1605078105_n.jpg

Is this open to modified cars? Have read that the Rockville Antique show discourages allowing modified cars. I dunno, the Delta was a factory team car so perhaps you can say it is original. Is a judge going come scoff or are these more like all-day Cars and Coffee and everything in reason is appreaciated?

Its just going to be weird going to a car event to relax and not have to worry about a time to be on grid or constanty fixing something. Not sure I can handle it. Wine may help.