FCA-MAR Spring Thaw 2014 | FerrariChat

FCA-MAR Spring Thaw 2014

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by BillP00, Mar 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Everyone,

Due to some uncontrollable circumstances, the FCA-MAR 2014 Spring Thaw has been moved to the Clydes Restaurant in Tyson's Corner, VA. 8332 Leesburg Pike
    Vienna, VA 22182. The event will still take place on Saturday, April 12th only the location has changed from Reston Town Centre to Tyson's Corner.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on April 12th!!

Bill P.

2. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Planning on being there.....

gp

3. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I will be there as well, though it's definitely a shame to have to move. The public access really made this a nice event in my view, as did the open space of Reston Town Center.

4. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Too bad. I agree.

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Drag. I'm paid up already so I'm going, but might not have if I'd known. The venue just isn't going to be anywhere near as fun. If it had to be Clydes, we should have gone to Ashburn.

6. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Bill, I understand the reasons for the move but a better location may have been at Katie's. Heck, you could have even done it Tysons 2 on the upper level and gone inside to any of the restaurants for lunch. The Clyde's lot is pretty depressing and has poor access roads because of Metro construction - you either have to come in through the rough service road by the old Big Screen Store / Lifetime Fitness or squeeze in from International Drive in front of the Courtyard Marriott.

Maybe too late in the day to change the venue so watch out for those splitters as you make your way in!

Sad about Reston Town Center's cash grab.

7. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Arjun,

Unfortunately, I didn't have any say in the matter (as far as location is concerned). I just wanted to get the word out so that people don't show up at Reston and wonder where the rest of crowd is? I know that Tyson's was considered but not much else about why that was not chosen.

As far as Reston Town Centre goes...I don't know if this is a permanent change or if this is just for this year only. We can only hope that we will be back at RTC next year. But this may be a good opportunity for people to make suggestions here in this thread as to other possibilities if we don't return next year. I will pass the suggestions along to the event organizers and see what they have to say.

Bill P.

8. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    +1 for Katies. Clydes Tysons Corner is not an ideal location for an event like this :( Just being honest..

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Lunch at the Old Brogue/Katies sounds great. Probably too late though.

10. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Guys,

Let me clarify something. It is TOO LATE to change to another location. This year's Spring Thaw will be at Clyde's in Tyson's Corner.

What I was asking in my previous post was for some suggestions (for next year) if we do not return to Reston Town Centre.

Bill P.

11. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    My suggestions for future venues:
    - Top of Tyson's Galleria parking garage (nice nig open lot)
    - Katie's Coffee (would have to be really early)
    - Gravelly Point Park (nice flat open parking lot)
    - Rockville Town Center (similar layout to Reston)
    - Park Potomac Shopping Center (Potomac, right off of 495 and 270 at Montrose, good restaurants)

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    May not be central to everyone, but Clydes of Ashburn would be outstanding. I can't think of a venue though that can replace Reston Town Center. Wonder what the hell happened. Can we go picket?? :D

13. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    National Harbour, just off I-95 and the Wilson Bridge in Prince George's County, Maryland, might be worth a shot. Lovely setting on the Potomac River, many restaurants that might be interested in a tie-in with the event, good access off the Beltway. If someone from MAR gives me the OK, I will try to contact site management to check into feasibility for next year.

14. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    +1 for National Harbor in 2015!!

Has everything that the Spring Thaw embodies. Beautiful setting on the Potomac River, lots of parking, lots of wonderful restaurants, easy access logistically/physically, and the public still has access which is half the fun too. I bet they would love to host the FCA-MAR.

15. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    +1 for National Harbor, it is what Reston Town Center was 20 years ago.

16. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    National Harbor does make a lot of sense. Would be a GREAT venue. Bill, assume you're in touch with Laura. Does she want this sort of feedback or are all the bills paid and contracts signed with Clydes, too late to change?

17. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey Bob,

I am in touch with Laura who is the Event Organizer. I'm also in touch with Bob D. who is the Assistant Regional Director for Club Events. It's definitely too late for 2014. Bills and Contracts have been signed with Clydes of Tyson's. Like I said, I'm just looking for suggestions for next year so that if Reston is definitely out of the running I can mention what was suggested here in this thread.

P.S. I too had mentioned National Harbor when I first heard about the venue change. :)

Bill P.

18. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I honestly thought that this was an April Fool's joke. Bummer.

19. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
  20. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    National Harbor or City Dock Annapolis. They get 700+ Corvettes at City Dock for their annual meet every year. V

I feel bad about the changes given all of Laura's heart, soul and time planning this event.

Annapolis is a very bucolic setting with lots of great restaurants and historic sites to see.

Good luck Bill and thanks for the update. I'll see you at the FCA annual meet at the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Thanks for catching that.
    The FCA-MAR website has now been updated with the change in venue for the Spring Thaw.

22. FUNRARI

FUNRARI Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2008
    Washington D.C.
    Full Name:
    Z
    See you all there!

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We have some nice weather! [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

24. RacerrRex

RacerrRex Rookie

Dec 27, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry if this belongs somewhere else, But I have ton of pictures from today... How can I upload them here?

25. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go to advanced options for your post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk