Headed to DC for the weekend. Regular tourist questions | FerrariChat

Headed to DC for the weekend. Regular tourist questions

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by rext, Apr 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    You guy probably hear this all the time.
    Heading into dc to see some sights. Staying in Foggy Bottom Residence Inn for the weekend. This will be my first trip. Love the history. We have admission to the White House on Friday.
    Is there any intel on what should be a priority to see or best times to go? What about seeing monuments after closing times? Walking around ? Places to stay away from? Places to eat dinner?
    Anything you can share would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rex

2. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Take a tour for the monuments, at least that's my suggestion. Air and Space, National Gallery, Natural History and Spy Museum are the must see's in my opinion. I can't help much on the restaurants. I don't eat in the district much.

EDIT: Don't know how much time you have, but one of the most important stops in the area is across the bridge, Arlington National Cemetery.

3. amstokesdb9

amstokesdb9 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2009
    Arlington
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I enjoy walking around the tidal basin at sunset. Going that way, you will hit some worthwhile monuments that are often missed (FDR is my personal favorite).

Also, Georgetown is great and close to you but do yourself a favor and don't go during the weekend. It just gets too jammed with tourists. Dupont Circle is better for restaurants anyway.

4. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    For some good eats, try Founding Farmers at 19th and Pennsylvania. You need to make a reservation, but it's a pretty novel concept with some really good quality food.

Depending on interests, the tour of the US Bureau of Engraving and Printing can be fun. It is also right next door to the Holocaust Museum.

5. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Piper- I think I have similar interests. I am planning on all that you mentioned.

DB9- I will check on Dupont Circle.Good advice on Georgetown. I will take your advice on the walk.Looks like the forecast Friday will be 75 and some rain. Maybe I can make that work.

GT- I will check into Founding Farmers. Had not thought about Bureau of Engraving.

Thank you Gentlemen

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    To expand on one of Piper's recommendations - at the National Gallery of Art, be sure to visit Gallery 6 (iirc) - the only original DaVinci in all of North America. Small, but worth the visit. You can step right up close and see the detail and skill he applied to his art.

Be aware (if you're not already) that admission to the White House may still involve a lengthy wait in line. Unless you enter through the handicap entrance. You miss a room or two there, but there's essentially no line. At least when I did it.

Enjoy!

7. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Off the beaten track and much less well-known than the "big name" attractions is Hillwood Estate/Gardens/Museum.

This former home of Marjorie Merriweather Post is absolutely fascinating. It's a real treasure and is well worth the visit.

She was heir to the Post Cereal Company fortune and was married to EF Hutton (her 2nd husband, actually), and they transformed the cereal company into General Foods. Here's the link:

Marjorie Merriweather Post | Hillwood Estate, Museum and Garden

If you have the time, you'll be glad you included this on your travel agenda.

8. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Go to Fords Theatre, museum in lower level, and house across the street where President Lincoln died. Well worth the time and really brings to life the tragedy of this event.

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Great place! Definitely get on Open Table and make some reservations if you haven't already done so (not just for Founding Farmers, but for any restaurants you want to try.) If you're in the mood for Italian and can get over to Georgetown, I love Filomena on Wisconsin Avenue.

10. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Founding Farmers--Kentucky Burgoo Stew....I will have to see if it is on par!

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Re: Tidal Basin...

What are the cherry blossoms doing this year?

CW

12. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Festival was last weekend followed by a pretty good blow. My guess is a lot of the blossoms are gone now, but haven't been to see. I was down there once when a good storm passed through during the festival and they fly like snow in a heavy wind.

13. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    Cherry blossoms are probably done, or close to done. I think I saw on the news that last week was "the" heavy tourist viewing weekend. Hopefully someone closer chimes in....

gp

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I would suggest Ebbit Grill across from the White House is a little historical, for lunch or dinner.
    History | Old Ebbitt Grill

Have fun!

S

15. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Since you like boats, Annapolis isn't too far. We host Cars and Coffee Sunday mornings, 9am-noon at City Dock.

You should also check out Katie's in Great a Falls Saturday morning 7am-9am.

+1 on Old Ebbitt Grill!

Enjoy your visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. rext

rext Karting

Jul 20, 2008
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Rex
    Just got back this evening and wanted to leave you fellas some feedback on my trip. I don't really know where to start! We had a great trip and experiences. We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect. Everyone was very courteous and helpful. This morning at Jefferson memorial I was looking at my phone map to determine where the Pentagon was in relation to where I was standing. A gentleman jogging by actually stopped to offer directions if we needed them! We weren't lost only getting bearings. That was very hospitable as an example. Much like the entire trip.
    Got into Legal Seafoods,and Founding Farmers. Both were excellent. I had a few preconceived ideas of what DC would be like and,thankfully, it was like none of them. Our representatives office helped with getting into the White House and arranging a tour of the Capitol. I walked my ass off since Thursday trying to see as much as possible. We didn't get everything accomplished but we made a dent in it and left enough for a return trip.
    I am a very Patriotic person. This trip meant a lot to me. The Star-Spangled Banner, the constitution,bill of rights,and Declaration of Independence,WWII memorial,Vietnam memorial,Arlington were the highlights for me. They all gave me goosebumps.
    I don't want to bore you with what you already know. You guys live in a special area,don't take these things for granted no matter how effed up this country seems at times.
    Thanks for your advice and what I didn't get to this time I will happily do on the return visit.
    Rex

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    DC is full of great people, despite what the media and political muckrakers say. Glad you enjoyed our town!!