Recommended Car Stereo Shops in DMV? | FerrariChat

Recommended Car Stereo Shops in DMV?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by karmavore, Jun 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Torney used to be my go-to, but he's closing up. Any other recommendations?

Ideally someone in Maryland and someone who can do a little bit of interior work too.

...and no shops with a "z" in the name or that sell "rims". I'm looking for something classy.

Thanks!

2. Rapido308

Rapido308 Karting
    Owner

Oct 11, 2011
    PA
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Algar uses Goodman stereo close to their dealership in Pennsylvania. I have used them and they do a fantastic job. Not sure if you use Algar for service, but if you do, they can coordinate with them all at once.

Not sure if this helps, they are pretty far for you, maybe someone has a closer shop, but if you do decide to use them you will be pleased.

3. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    In my opinion there are two good choices ...

MD side of the beltway..

DSI Electronics
    9855 Washington Blvd, Laurel, MD 20723
    (301) 490-4197

VA side of the Beltway...

Hurley's Auto Audio
    1524 Spring Hill Rd, McLean, VA 22102
    (703) 790-8744 Gary

I have used both without issue.

4. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    +1 for Hurleys. And Lim's Ulpostry for interior is next industrial building over.

5. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks, guys.

Does anyone really like Lim's work? I have yet to see anything on his Facebook or website that looks great.

6. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    I sublet out work to Lim's and never had a complaint. Haven't been personally in years and I think the old man has since retired and son runs place now (?). Twenty years ago they did custom dash, center console, door panels,...on my Lancia and turned out nice. Surely the craft and experience has been traded down in the family that few other shops will have.

7. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Can anyone post recent Lim work that is good? Genuinely; I'm interested but so far unimpressed.

8. cheny4

cheny4 Karting

Feb 15, 2009
    No VA
    Full Name:
    Cheny Y.
    I've had Lim do my '95 355 spider seats and all seats and headliner in my '78 450 SEL. I am extremely pleased with the work and the interaction. Prices were reasonable too.

9. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
  10. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Car Trendz in Alexandria is excellent. Hurley's is technically best. Caught them one time trying to charge me full MSRP on discontinued gear though, over the going price of the replacement part numbers. Walked and never looked back. They have the best techs probably, but buyer beware.

11. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Perhaps I'm not being open-minded, but a shop called "Trendz" is what I want to avoid.

Any opinions on Driven Mobile in Chantilly?

12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree it's a bad name, but they are very good.

13. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    I've used Hurley's, probably got charged extra for the parts. BUT, the resulting Nav and rear view camera system on my Range Rover is fantastic over OEM.

14. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have never heard a single complaint, ever, about Hurley's service. It's universal. All the Penske dealers in Tysons recommend them exclusively.

15. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Most of this stuff, especially on an older car like mine, isn't rocket science, it just requires attention to detail and a pride in ones work. Point being, I'm not going to overpay for components in order to have them screwed down by someone that says "sir" a lot.

16. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Five people all suggested the same places and you are still skeptical because they don't post the best pics on the interwebz?

I've used Hurleys since the 1980's (remember Alpine advertising w/ Countach endorsement posters and Pioneer sponsored Ferrari 308GTB) and everything played cassette tape. Had a stereo stolen from a unique old car in 1985 that the thief ripped my dash in half getting it out. Hurley's took care of the entire claim including replacing the dash and with the insurance $ provided an upgraded system. Greedy I think not. Have gotten other stereo systems and alarms from them since. Greg Hurley is a stand up guy and that is how he has been in the business spanning decades. Employees come and go but the ones I've dealt w/ are also gearheads who appreciate cars and not just a techgeeks.

I manage a one of the above mentioned dealerships nearby and send lots of different types of work there no one else would ever figure out (haywire parktronics, navigation systems, mangled in collision remote radar detection system components, .....) and they always get it done so these are people who know more than screwing in components.

Lims, done business w/ them myself since 1990 w/ entire custom interiors to just a dropping headliner. And last 10 years at the dealership been sending them work (flood damage, convertible tops slashed, complex roof malfunctions, not Cheap & Fast Sue from GasMonkey stitching seats and door panels). Despite having demanding customer expectations because of the luxury brands we sell, never had a complaint.

Don't know if FB links to pics will work for you but Hurleys stereo system and alarm went in this years back. Car is a beast to drive so they let me drive into their workshop despite probably what their insurance wants to hear. Not anything special but already miles of other aftermarket wiring and they kept their wiring nicely hidden and keyless alarm probably going on about 10 years old still functions despite ingesting dust galore and driving thru a beaver pond.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/61325_111977812196747_3656685_n.jpg

Alpine stereo and amp in my truck has taken a beating of jumps and bumps and still keeps blasting tunes.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/33547_111977898863405_5569080_n.jpg

Lim's did dash, door panels and center consoles in my old jalopy. 20 years later and still together.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/526460_3650133887284_1575346116_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/942598_511672355560622_1227482598_n.jpg

Another super thing about both of them, someday when the Metro figures out how to run trains on Silver Line, you'd be able to drop your car and walk to Metro to go to work or shopping or home and pick up by riding Metro so no cabs or spouses following you all the way there twice.

17. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I’m not skeptical of the work, you totally misread my comments. My point is: what I need isn't so complicated that it’s worth getting ripped off over (at least two members feel they were ripped off).

Regarding Lim’s: I have not seen one (custom) interior on his site/FB page that doesn't look like it was built to a budget or is just cheap looking. I’m not impressed.

You see…

Many of these type of businesses get a reputation that sticks around longer than it should. One person has a good experience, they hype it up beyond what it deserves, the sheep follow.

Also, many of these shops get a reputation based on one installer, so work done 5 or 10 years ago (let alone 30 years ago!) is often irrelevant to what they are doing today.

18. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you want the quality shop that will do top work and not rip you off, Car Trendz.

As for Hurleys, their reputation isn't some out of control rumor from 30 years ago. They've maintained the best quality in the area for decades and it's very well known among car enthusiasts and dealerships alike. Their ability to retain the best talent and maintain quality control stands as a model for all service businesses. Doesn't mean I'm recommending them, just being fair. You choose Hurleys, you're getting the best, zero worry, zero hassle, but you'll pay for it.

19. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Thanks Piper. You've worn me down. I'll swing by Car Trendz. ;)

Hurleys Yelp reviews seem to echo my concerns.

I could hire a master wood worker to scrape old paint off my house, but it wouldn't make much sense....

20. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    #20 onboost, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Again, on the Maryland side..

There is DSI Electronics, been around for years as well, excellent work, and can take care of whatever upholstery issue goes with the electronics install.
    http://dsielectronics.com/

Upholstery..
    - The Leather Clinic in Rockville; http://www.leatherclinic.com/index.html

- Longo's Upholstery & Top Shop in Rockville; http://www.johnlongo.net/

- Victor's Custom Interiors in Glen Burnie; http://victorscustominteriors.com/

I have personally used each of these shops listed for various projects, custom, stock and/or repair, given a particular price point I was trying to be. None of them are what I would call cheap, but they all turn out a quality product for the money charged.

Yes, a couple appear to cater to motorcycles, however I can assure you they do autos as well.. including those precious Ferraris!

You have choices..

21. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia