New to DMV area and need some help! | FerrariChat

New to DMV area and need some help!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by ShowcaseC6, Jul 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    Hey all!

I just moved to DC from SoCal. Just started getting settled into my new place and had my car shipped out to meet me here. Everything has been great so far, but I'm starting to have a few questions and figured you guys would have some great answers. So here goes:

I've been Zipcar-ing around for the past week to get a feel for the area and noticed that, comparatively to SoCal, there really isn't much of an exotic car presence here. For context, I brought my Maserati QP with me (which I figured was pretty low key...I mean, it's no 458 right?)

1.Where is it safe for me to drive that car around & where are the areas that nice cars are "common"?
    2.Where do you guys get your cars washed/tires changed/etc?
    3.Anything else I should be aware of driving around here? (Got my EZPass!)
    More importantly:
    4.Anyone up to meet for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Thanks guys!

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Nice places to drive in every direction from DC.

Annapolis to the east,
    the rural counties in Maryland to the north,
    the rural counties in Virginia to the west, and
    the Williamsburg / Richmond / Fredericksburg areas to the south.

3. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    #3 ShowcaseC6, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Agreed the scenery is nice and the drive is quite beautiful, but perhaps I'm being overly cautious/aware/paranoid cause I'm new & lost. I guess my question was more geared towards asking where is it normal to see nice cars. Drove out to Tyson's Corner to go to WilliamsSonoma, and that seemed OK? Stopped in Falls Church for Home Depot run and that area didn't look too bad either, but I don't think QP-safe.

I'm used to OC/LA where it's acceptable to drive anything more or less anywhere, daily, so that's why I ask.

Also, is F&MoW better or Criswell Maserati?

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  5. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Welcome to the area! I think that you will actually find the DC area to be quite full of exotics, especially considering that something like 6 of the 10 wealthiest counties in the country are here.

The areas with the most exotics seem to be Great Falls / Tysons in VA, and Potomac in MD. The Cars and Coffee at Katie's in Great Falls on Saturday mornings is quite a spectacle. There is also a smaller one in Bethesda a bit later and others in Annapolis, Fairfax, and Leesburg. Most have threads in this section. Finally, Georgetown seems to attract a good number of exotics on weekend nights, though it is quite congested.

In terms of deals and service, Criswell Maserati is quite new. Not sure how much of a track record they have. Ferrari Maserati of Washington seems to be OK, but is quite far if you are in DC or MD. If not warranty service, most everyone here would recommend Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD. They service Ferraris and Maserati, and will also do Fiats, Lamborghinis, and vintage Italians.

There are also lots of evening car enthusiast meets, many of which are posted on various Facebook groups and other social media. Just depends what you are into.

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Oh, and as for washes and tires, lots of independent detailers in the area. I have used D&D Detailing in Ashburn, VA a couple of times and been very happy with them, but they take months to get into and only work weekends at their facility. I used Competizione for tires, as they just source through Tire Rack and have great equipment to get the car set up right.

7. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    Awesome! Thanks guys, that's the advice I'm looking for. Are there any normal washes that are OK, or does everyone only use a detail guy? I mean, where do the S-Class go?

Also, is there like a Rodeo drive or similar around here? LOL.

8. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    lol I took my Ferrari F430 everywhere, grocery shopping, mcDonald's.... lots of exotics I run into. Where exactly are you?

9. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    NW DC! I live right in the district, kind of by Penn Quarter/Downtown area.

Where is this area that you're talking about?

10. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I believe you want M Street in Georgetown on Fri and Sat nights between 8pm-2am.

There you will find all of the "exotics" and a place to Showcase.

Everyone is correct in that there are loads and loads of exotic cars in this area...a baffling amount actually.

And, you are right, it is not really acceptable or normal to drive them around everywhere.

I'm in Penn Quarter too. PM me if there's anything else you need and I'll do my best to assist.

LS

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I think Chevy Chase/Bethesda has a nice show off strip too.

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ

I have seen a lot on Connecticut Ave on Sat and Sun afternoons...Diablo, Countach, Pantera, 308, Gallardo, Murci, 360, 355, etc.

13. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    LOL not looking to 'Showcase'. I just wanted to know what areas are nice, such that I might park my car and blend in a bit (safe to park etc.).

The the feeling I got, after this past weekend, is that it seems like this is a weekend nice car crowd. Also noticed enforcement is NOT lax. If anyone saw a QP pulled over in Dupont, that was me! The cops were very nice and understanding, though.

Thanks for contributing your 2 cents to helping me settle in around here!

14. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You now have Maserati of Arlington, as a closer in place for service. Right on S. Glebe Road a block of I-395. You can drive safely, most anywhere inside the Beltway.

15. taz55555

taz55555 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Maryland

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Driving within DC limits sucks, you need to head out MD or VA. The roads in DC are treacherous, not many places to park safely and most drivers suck. The QP will be fine but I won't take my sports cars there unless I know exactly where I am going and have a safe place to park. Outside of DC there are many places to go.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Also, FoW has been very good to me, no issues. Ordering a Huracan from them next week.

18. ShowcaseC6

ShowcaseC6 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 16, 2006
    OC/LA/DC
    Full Name:
    V
    Dear all - Thanks for all your input. Been enjoying NoVA a lot! It's beautiful out here in such a different way from SoCal, that I think I'm falling in love with it too!

Do you guys run radar detectors around here / do cops take that prohibition seriously?

Is Maserati of Arlington open yet? Couldn't find it on Google Maps.

19. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    Cops here take radar detectors very seriously. I was once questioned why I had one in my posession at all.... even disconnected and in my glovebox. I would never use it here honestly.

20. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #20 toggie, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    And, some of the Virginia State Police use radar detector detectors.
    If you use one, use it selectively when you're in Virginia. Don't leave it on all the time.

Also, in VA any speeding ticket more than 20 mph above the limit (or any speed above 80 mph) also gets you charged with Reckless Driving.
    Reckless Driving in VA is a Class 1 Misdemeanor criminal offense - same as a DUI.
    You'll need to hire a lawyer and hope your attorney can get the charge reduced to Improper Driving at trial.
    I normally don't like Jalopnik stories but here is one on a guy who spent 3 days in jail for speeding in VA:
    http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Awesome. I can't wait to see it. I'm really attracted to the Huracan. Might be might replacement for the 355.

22. speedsterr

speedsterr Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2013
    Btw there is a hand wash car wash next to tysons. Same street that Hermes is on.