Shenandoah Nat'l Park | FerrariChat

Shenandoah Nat'l Park

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by David Lind, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Sometime next year I am planning to drive my Mondial from Louisiana all the way to Watkins Glen for a race. I intend to drive all of the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Dr. in Shenandoah. I have only found 2 threads which mention the latter, and they are both pretty old. While the mountains won't have changed much, the road conditions and police presence may well have.
    Don't get me wrong, I am not planning a 9/10ths banzai run, but I would like to be able to motor briskly on occasion.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    The Park is aggressively patrolled.

This is due, in part, to its' popularity with motorcyclists.

Each and every time I've driven through it, I've seen heavy speeding enforcement. That said, it's been a while since I've ridden out that way.

CW

3. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    +1

Speed limits are too low for spirited driving (for a good reason - lots of blind corners and random deer/bear crossings) and unfortunately very aggressively patrolled. I've never driven a Mondial so I don't know how wide it is, but I found Skyline Drive to be too narrow for a Diablo in the fun stretches.

4. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

And the speed limit is really low. 35 or 40??

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, the limits are very low.

Also, it should be noted that, as a Federal park, it is patrolled by Federal police (as opposed to VA law enforcement). And, Federal law (as opposed to VA) is applied.

Federal charges, in contrast to VA, split speeding and reckless driving into two separate offenses. So, whereas in VA, reckless is automatic at some point above the speed limit (20mph and over the limit), that's not the case in Federal. Still, they will likely throw the second reckless charge in addition to the speeding and then the Court, unless there are aggravating factors, will likely drop the reckless charge. So, in that sense, being caught in the Park is better than being caught on VA roads.

Same for the GWMP.

Just good to know, pre-emptively, because it's not like anyone tells you any of this.

CW

6. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Wow! Thanks for the info, but it sounds a bit draconian. I hope the scenery and wildlife will compensate for the occasional frustration. 35 MPH sounds REALLLLLLY slow.

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I live not far from skyline and go once or twice a year. The police presence hasn't been bad, but you will get stuck behind someone within a mile or two of entering the park and there's really no passing, so best to just go for the scenery, which is phenomenal.

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Yes, all double yellow lines, too, IIRC. So, no passing. There are a couple of turn-offs and scenic overlooks, but be prepared for traffic depending on what day and time you're driving through. Obviously, weekends are worst.

CW

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Make sure your brakes and brake fluid are in good shape, lots of elevation change in many parts. Lots of downhill braking.