Non-Ferrari Auto Body recomendations in West Chester PA | FerrariChat

Non-Ferrari Auto Body recomendations in West Chester PA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Mojosan, Sep 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mojosan

Mojosan Formula 3

Jan 31, 2008
    NJ
    Daughters 3 week old Honda got every body panel on the left side scratched and dented by a couple of drunken morons fighting on the sidewalk.

The police arrested the guys and are asking us to provide 3 estimates. I'm paying for this out of pocket (and the car is leased) so any recommendation on a West Chester body shop that does good work and offers good value?

Thanks.

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    If the body work is VERY minor, and we are really talking mostly paint work, the best place far and away is Carisma… That kind of thing is basically their bread and butter and they are extremely reasonable. There are two locations, one of which is right on 202 in West Chester. Beyond that, the next step up would be Sterling auto body in West Chester, which was recently renamed or maybe bought out. They are more of your regular car repair facility. Very reasonable and good results from my very limited experience with them (at least from experience when they were called Sterling Autobody). If you want it done to a factory type standard your best bet would be Classic Coachworks in West Chester or Cavallo's… but both are going to be more expensive. Finally, if you want her Honda to take first at Pebble Beach, take a 15 minute drive to Karosserie… they are the gold standard, but it is probably gross overkill in this instance!

3. Mojosan

Mojosan Formula 3

Jan 31, 2008
    NJ
    It's mostly paint work. Maybe a fender. I'll make an appointment with Carisma.

Thanks for taking the time to pass on that info. Much appreciated.

4. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have had very good luck with Gran Sport, on two of my prior trucks, one of which had similar damage to what you described. Uses OEM parts and works with insurance well, although you did mention you're paying out of pocket.

5. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    I use performance collision on Lancaster ave in Frazer for all of my inventory cars that need paintwork.

6. mikeswanson

mikeswanson Rookie

Sep 9, 2014
    I second Grand Sport Auto Body in west chester pa. Just had my car fixed there from hail damahe in the sprong and they couldnt have done a better job. Looks like a new car and it was pretty bad. Unfortunately I couldnt go through insurance but they worked with me. Great team over there.....friendly

7. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I have used Concord Auto Body and Keenan's both with great success and service on my "normal" cars. They are rated #1 and #2 respectively for State Farm.

8. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #8 ProRallyCodriver, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Which means they save Statefarm $ by using aftermarket and junk parts, rush the jobs to avoid paying rental if Statefarm says they are too slow, .....not usually in the best interest of the car owner.

In most cases, you want to avoid any shop refered to, rated by, or which has a direct repair relationship w/ the insurance company and large shops that refuse direct repair relationships and still have lots of work are the quality shops. Also, using a shop certified in the make of vehicle is in your best interest (and if there is structural damage, only those shops can buy the parts). They will use OEM parts, have the proper equipment and training. Collision repair technology w/ aluminium and composite panels and electronics-reseting headlights, SRS, accident avoidance, parktronics,..... has taken a jump and there are still shops operating behind the learning curve or without investing in the equipment. Have re-repaired cars butchered at other shops costing $10k+ in additional work in several occasions. Plenty of hacks out there.

9. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    That was not the case with the last time I used them. New OEM parts, wasn't rushed except to put me at the front of line instead of waiting weeks to get in (I had to compete with the big hailstorm that damaged tons of car in the area), and very high quality work. I researched because I was concerned about the aluminum work.