348/355 ride/drive request Philly, PA | FerrariChat

348/355 ride/drive request Philly, PA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by TheAmishSasquatch, Oct 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    #1 TheAmishSasquatch, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Hi everyone, thanks for reading my post. While I'm still 2-3 years away (realistically) from acquiring a Ferrari. I would like to take the time now to meet with as many 348 & 355 owners as possible and view your cars in person. I would very much like as many opportunities to ride and drive as many examples as possible to better familiarize myself with variety and conditions of cars out there as well as I would also like very much to learn more about these great cars with info strait from the horse's mouth (so to speak) Thanks again for your time. Feel free to PM me.

Located in NE Philly near Grant & Academy ~Mike

2. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Your best bet it to attend the West Chester Cars and Coffee on Saturday mornings. There are usually a couple of 348/355 in attendance.

3. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks. Ive gone several times. Chatted with a 355 owner a bit but no ride or drives. Haven't seen any 348 there. Rode shotgun in a 308 QV, Elise and NSX. All of which are the typical 30-60k range exotics one might choose from. I like the Elise as it seemed more like a modern X1/9.. hated the Elise because the top was on and a PITA to get in/out of. The 308QV was great and is a dream car of mine, but I want to experience a 348/355 before I really consider it. The NSX was my favorite of the group, despite the unemotional sounds from it (to quiet/non exotic for me).

4. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    182 views and no offers? Is my request really asking so much? :/

5. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    subscribed

6. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    LOL in the quiet car on the train. Nice.

7. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    No, but from a practical standpoint many people will be hesitant to invite a random stranger to show up at their house to go for a ride in their Ferrari. It's a sad fact, but people have to be somewhat cautious with regard to their own safety and well being.

I don't have the model you're interested in, but I've given plenty of rides over the years. I enjoy doing it, but in all of those cases it was at a public event where I had a chance to speak with the individual and size them up before offering a ride. I would never invite someone to my home for that purpose that I hadn't previously met.

I'm not trying to be a kill joy, but I think that may be the reason that the response has not been better.

8. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Thats very understandable and I agree completely. I did not say or imply meeting at anyone's house or being a stranger before hand. I want very much to meet with the people who own the cars and get to know them, so I can learn more about both car and owner. Learn what ignited their passion for these particular models and their experiences while owning their cars. Yes I want to get as much hands on time with each model and as many examples as possible to form a better reference, but I'm not some ya-who looking to joy ride. I attend C&C and think its a great way to network, make new friends and get face time with the machines I'm passionate about. Its also in an environment that is safe for both myself and the owners & cars. You make it seen as though the owners are the only ones with something to loose or are in a vulnerable position. Perhaps thats ego speaking? I'm looking for owners to say whether they will be at a certain event and if they are willing to help me in my quest. So far the answer is an obvious "no" and is very disappointing for me as not only does this reenforce common stereotypes of Ferrari owners (which I try to give the benefit of doubt), but also is impeding steps I need to take on the path to acquisition of a life's long goal of Ferrari ownership as an enthusiast.

9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, I think so. That plus your unusual screen name (which might seem weird to some people) and the fact that you haven't even seen fit to create a profile, telling us something about yourself.

P.S. Brace yourself, the teacher in me is about to come out: it's spelled "yahoo." :)

10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Have you tried visiting Algar or any other dealership with a 348/355?? Usually I go to a dealership to test drive a car and not my neighbors house. Just saying.

Honestly, keep reading in the 348/355 section and then speak with some owners at a C&C and make a decision and buy. I had never drove a 360 before I made my purchase. They are after all just cars.

11. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you for the suggestion E60 M5. I was trying to stay away from the dealer network as I doubt they will be very accommodating seeing as I'm not technically in the market to buy, just yet. I was hoping I could meet with and rely on other enthusiasts to help me, but I've clearly wandered into the wrong crowd and somehow offended the sensibilities of my peers.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Think about the number of 348/355's in the US, how many of them might be in the greater Philly area and how many of those owners are regular fchat users. Then, adjust your expectations accordingly.

I'd suggest more patience and less attitude.

13. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Perhaps your rite. I am impatient. If however you consider the fact I've been waiting since I was 10, I'd say that's pretty patient lol. As for the attitude: it was certainly not my intent to ruffle feathers or make a scene or over step any unspoken taboo's in my request. My attitude is only in regard to the responses from members who are reading alot more into my request then whats actually there. I would never expect a stranger to let me drive their car or meet at their house. Especially in Philly! Whether it be a Honda, a Ford or a Ferrari. I actually like buying cars that have a strong enthusiast network, as I believe "the people" is a big part of the enjoyment of ownership. I enjoy meeting new people, making new friends, learning new things and sharing my passion & enthusiasm with other like minded individuals. All I was wanting to know from my original post was if any local owners were willing to meet and chat with me (at any venue) and if any would be open to letting me experience their cars at any time (doesn't have to be the first time we meet). Unfortunately translation and tone can easily be lost on the web and in a forum post.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd wager if you're lucky, there are 2 dozen 348/355 owners in the greater Philly area. There might be 5 of them that are fchat members, maybe 1 or 2 that are active members. If you're lucky, maybe both of them will eventually read this thread. That's slim pickings, so you need to widen your net or wait more than 4 days for them to respond.

None of the members made any responses reading into your comments until you had made 2 replies to your own thread in 3 days trying to drum up responses which made you look impatient and appear to be an ingrate.

I would try posting in the 348/355 area of the board as well.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    If I still had mine, I'd be happy to give you a ride.

But, I don't and I'm 3 hours from Philly. :)

16. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    I guess I just figured every Ferrari owner in the area is as enthusiastic and active as possible (as I know would be) and this section would be my best starting point. It was not my intent to seem like an ingrate.

17. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks. Its the thought that counts.

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I know it wasn't your intent, I'm trying to help you out :). I'm in the same boat, too far away to help. Here's a taste of what it's like, though:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acpYaCgwcos]Top Speed Pro-1 f355 Challenge exhaust in VA mountains - YouTube[/ame]

19. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    I know you are and its appreciated. I see how my second post could especially be taken as demanding or ungrateful even though it was not even in my mind as such. And I'm certainly not that type of person. I nearly hugged the fellow in the 308 for taking me in a spin. It was a dream come true for me! But as I said: tone and intent doesn't translate well over a typed message on an internet forum. Thanks for posting that vid. I watched it the other day and commented in your thread. Despite what the nay-sayer say, it sounds great for $700!!! It is a touch loud but hell its only complimenting the loud yellow of your car and in that respect is perfect!

20. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
  21. TheAmishSasquatch

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks again. It was a blast to be in at full song and a very nice/well maintained example to base my searching from. I loved it!