saying Goodbye to a trusted Steed | FerrariChat

saying Goodbye to a trusted Steed

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by turbos7903, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #1 turbos7903, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    And Hello to her new replacement.
    After a great deal of consideration and reflection I say goodbye to my Grigio Silverstone Scuderia. After five years and 14000 miles of sheer Joy its time to pass the custodial responsibility to another.My reasons are personal but the cars and coffee community uncategorically and unanimously encouraged me to make this change. I have engaged one of our trusted Car Community Brokers to assist in this transition. I just felt that the Scuderia has been such a big part of this close knit car community that it deserved a proper send off so I write this thread as a goodbye....And now a Hello to the new Steed who like every other car I have owned will be " Meant to be driven" .Please Welcome her to the community soon . My custom orderd 2015 Sapphire Blue Porsche 991 GT3. Jon in Delaware.
    Please post pics of the events you remember the Scuderia participating in.

2. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Jon
    Sorry to see the old girl go. I was there when she was delivered and fondly remember many hundreds of miles with that baby in my mirror or in front listening to that glorious ripping howl.
    Good luck and great choice in the GT3.
    I always loved your yellow one. What goes around comes around.
    I will post some memorable shots of the scud when I get back to my computer.
    A nostalgic moment here as there's a good chance the 308 will turn over 100,000 miles on the frosty balls. Pretty sure I'll make it.

Best
    Bob

3. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    arguably Bob 10k of the Scuds 14k were spent in your presence. Congratulations on your 100k milestone on the 308. May it serve as a testimonial to drive the Damn cars and quit embracing garage queens! Jon in Delaware

4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Congratulations Jon!
    As i told you personally, this is the right move. You wringed every bit of enjoyment out of her and i don't know what more you could have done. While I will miss her, your new porsche is going to be spectacular and a more than worthy successor.

Congrats!

Bob, i look forward to seeing you pass the 100K mark! Congrats!

5. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Thanks Joe.

6. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    #6 rcraig, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    #7 rcraig, Oct 27, 2014
  8. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Those are two great examples Bob. Thanks for the memory! Jon

9. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jon, as I mentioned over on FB, sometimes cool things have to go, to make room for other cool things. As you know, I just went through this myself. As difficult a decision it must have been for you, when the new car comes, it will all be worth it. Can't wait to see it, and take a ride. Congrats to you!

10. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Best thing I have read in a long time. Congrats Bob, as Enzo himself would be proud that you are driving the car as it was meant to be.

Jon, looking forward to some driving time with you in both our new steeds this coming spring!

11. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Jon, congrats on the move to the GT3. Gorgeous color -- you and I both love the blues and the grays! Sad to see the Scud go -- would love to take her off your hands and keep her local. Such a great color combination. Alas, not sure the timing is quite right on my end :(

Bob, excited to hear you're likely to make the Frosty Balls this weekend -- look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers!
    Dennis

12. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Goodbye F Chat, Hello Renn List..:)
    Good luck Jon. I know you always liked Porsche but it will be strange not seeing you in a Ferrari. I remember you in a Ferrari longer then I can remember, Before I was even a member on here. 360, 550 Barchetta, 430 Scud. When you get tired of that Porsche starting every day, no CEL's coming on, or those crazy repair bills. We will still take you back! hahaha
    Again good luck, You chose another beautiful machine.

13. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Of the forty or so cars that I've owned, I've had several that I thought I'd never let go. But I did. Even the Porsche 911, which probably was my all-time favorite.

But no matter how much we may like our old "friends," the yearning for change seems to overcome us, and the vast improvements in newer cars make the older, legacy cars seem quaint and, some might say, disappointing in comparison to these newer cars. This is not to say that older cars should be put out to pasture simply because they are outshone by their successors, but only that life moves on and change can be good.

Enjoy the new Porsche.

14. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Dominic. Thank you. As I read this I have two pages on my computer opened simultaneously. FChat and Rennlist. Thats just frickin hilarious!. Are you spying on me? You are not losing a dedicated fchat enthusiast you are gaining a more worldly automotive commentor. Jon in Delaware

15. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Jerry As always a well worded kind comment. Thank You. Jon

16. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #16 turbos7903, Oct 27, 2014
  17. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #17 turbos7903, Oct 27, 2014
    But as for a Professional Picture that will last to eternity. ( Its hanging on the wall in my Car inspired room at the house in 3 foot by 5 foot glory on canvas)
    Bob Craig is a photography Genius
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    #18 turbos7903, Oct 27, 2014
    And lets not forget the dozens of rides given to young and old enthusiast over the years. Assuring the Hobby has infected yet another generation of Custodians.
    Autumn at the Boys and Girls club Christmas Fund Raiser Greenville Car show.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    As you know Jon, I think you're making the right choice. Looking forward to seeing the GT3 at Cars and Coffee. Scott's comment above is certainly making me think even more.

20. dlbutler

dlbutler Formula 3

Sep 18, 2009
    #20 dlbutler, Oct 27, 2014
  21. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Love it Don!

22. RobD

RobD Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    USA
    Congrats on the new GT3, Jon! Looking forward to seeing it at C&C. GT3's are great cars. I really enjoyed my '07 GT3.

23. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    #23 TurboRegal84, Oct 27, 2014
  24. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Great choice Don. I must say that was probably one of the greatest weekends ever. The trip up with Josh navigating the entire way on back roads, Bella, and Watkins Glen. The trip up at night hitting that hill climb in the pitch black, popping out of the back roads Forrest and finding that Italian restaurant with the whole crew being car nuts. And then the ultra high speed run through the mountains back from Watkins has to be one of the best sustained beautiful road runs in history. Epic. Oh and let's really test the memory. Walking by the grandstands behind the pits. High wind gusts. Great sundress made of light material. Thong...............
    Oh well, another time conversation maybe.

Bob

25. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks Jon. One of my favorites too.