Fios/Xfinity | FerrariChat

Fios/Xfinity

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by tomberlin, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Fios at our house is dead and they won't send a repair guy until Friday. We used to have Comcast and it was terrible.
    A switch to Xfinity would save a $100/month for the length of the 2 year contract.
    Anyone using Xfinity and happy with it?

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Have FiOS and our line has been cut at least twice during construction stuff. Repair time is terrible but no complaints with their service - but it is expensive. Constantly get offers from xfinity. Interested to hear comments since my "contract" is up.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I switched from Comcast to Verizon a couple years ago. Service at both is terrible. Price is comparable if you don't factor in whichever promotion each one is offering at the time.

4. Zxgarage

Zxgarage Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2011
    MD/ DC area
    Full Name:
    Zack
    Agreed ... Like jumping from a hot pan into the fire.

5. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    We have Comcast/Xfinity and it seems fine. If we have an issue (rare) service is fairly quick. We keep getting offers from verizon but the wife despises the company. They both seem to tack on fees every so often that you have catch, and then they apologize and remove them. I swear if more Cable apps come out, I might just use the xbox one with the internet connection and be done with it.

6. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    #6 360gtracer, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Funny this should come up today, as I was just discussing this very topic (not knowing it was here) with a good friend over lunch.

He has had Fios for quite a long time now (10-ish years, I think he said), with virtually no problems. Nice.

We've had Xfinity for almost 3 years now, but with minor problems. Our service provides TV/phone/internet. For over a year now, our phone service drops off almost every day and almost the same time (9-9:30pm), but nothing else is affected. We've called several times, but to no avail, so we've just lived with it.

Recently one of our HD tv boxes died, so I called to try and get them to fix both problems at once.

Had an appointment for this past Tuesday and left work early to be home for it. Got the confirmation call on the way home and positively acknowledged the appointment. Was home 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment window.

About an hour into the window, I saw a readable voice message email on my phone which said something about "rescheduling". Apparently, they tried to call right at the start of the appointment window, but the house phone never rang, so they cancelled my appointment on me. I was livid!!

After an hour or more of yelling at them on the phone (hey, this was *their* failing, not mine!), I got nowhere but a rescheduled appointment for Saturday, noon.

During the call, I fired off a message to the Sr. VP of Customer Service, complaining about my initial appointment being cancelled on me (I was still furious). Later that day, someone else - from "Comcast Quality Dept" called and begged for one more chance to make me happy. Said she would try to get someone out that evening. Oh by the way... "It'll take your tech about 2 minutes to swap out the HD box and fix that problem fully." Don't think they got that message, as no one ever showed up and the gal never called back to check up, as she said she would.

Next day I get an email from yet another person (the third) in the VPs office, apologizing for the problem and wanting to fix it for me. Noted my appointment for *Sunday* morning. Uh, no, should be Saturday. So I emailed back, stating that the first gal set up my appointment for Saturday, not Sunday.

Got a reply back from a *FOURTH* person saying that Saturday was all booked up and my record shows an appointment for Sunday. The only way to reschedule it would be to push it farther out in the future. Um, no.

So we're expecting them on Sunday, but if they reschedule or cancel on me again, it all gets turned off - cancelled - we're done. Time will tell.....

As far as their actual service goes - it's acceptable at best. The HD DVR is flaky and has already been replaced once. The phone problem has already been described, and the wifi router they provided barely gets the signal throughout the house (it's not *that* big of a house!).

If you have the option of Fios, I would say "go for it". At this point, I simply can't imagine their service being worse than Comcast's. Unfortunately, I think Comcast is the only option in our neighborhood (we're in the sticks).

Good luck!

gp

p.s. - I just, moments ago, received yet another email from Comcast - a *FIFTH* different person. This one claims she has *escalated* my issue to a "Local Regional Office" for resolution. We shall see...... But I'm not holding my breath.

7. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I got email from person #6. Appointment for tomorrow (Sunday) morning, 9:30-11:30.

We'll see if they can fix it. In the meantime, our phone dropped offline during a call with a close friend this evening. Frustrating. It took 15 minutes for the phone to come back online.

gp

8. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Guess I'll be staying with FiOS. Can't imagine the hassle of a switch to Comcast. Through their pricing bs I'm getting a $25 discount and the best offer so far for 2 yrs is a $15 discount, so it goes up $10/mo. They're calling constantly for me to re-up but still have a couple weeks for a better offer.

9. AlxSTi

AlxSTi Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2011
    Wilmington, DE
    Comcast is one of the most unorganized big evil corporations with the absolute worst customer service. Missed appointments, incorrect billing, rude incompetent customer service reps.. it never ends. I would avoid Comcast by any means possible.. including paying more with FiOS.

10. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    *CANNOT* argue with this assessment..... (even if they did get our problems fixed yesterday)

gp