Monterey Speed Week August 2015 | FerrariChat

Monterey Speed Week August 2015

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by SpykerBAS, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Heading to Monterey in August for Concorso, Pebble and the Historics. Have any of you attended, and do you have any suggestions for must see things to do?

Thanks,

Brett

2. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Hey Brett. Ive been trying to get people to go for years. No takers. Too expensive, too far, no time and so on . Ive been there twice and willing to go again for sure. Lets chat at the next opportunity. Jon

3. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    I would love to go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I've been several times

Hotel in Carmel is best since a lot of action is there. Reserve NOW.

There's SO much to see its good to have a plan & schedule it

5. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    This website Monterey Car Week hasn't been updated for 2015 yet, but it has a good listing of the various public events held during the week. There are numerous manufacturers test drive/receptions and local club events throughout the week too. And to top it off this year, the FCA National Meet will be the Mon-Wed immediately after Pebble. 2015 Ferrari Club of America International Meet

Definitely make lodging reservations as soon possible, and be prepared for price gouging.

6. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    There are more things to do there than you will have time for. Book the Hotel, B&B or whatever now!

7. Flipjack

Flipjack Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Quail, Rolex Laguna

8. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have reservations starting Fri. before the meet. Towing out from the East Coast so I hope I get there in time. This is the fourth trip and probably the last. 1992 1994 2004.

9. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    #9 Green308GTSi, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I drove my Maserati to Monterey last year for 2014 Maserati Days and my daughter & I had a blast. We won Furthest Driven Maserati. In 2004, I shipped the 308 out to Monterey and again it was amazing. For 2015, I hope to enter other concours & rallies during Monterey Week and stay for the FCA Annual meet.

This photo is from the FCA Annual Meet 2004 at Quail Lodge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Thanks, Balsamina. I did not realize FCA was there, too. I will extend. There seem to be no rooms left in Carmel. Some in Monterey.

Brett

11. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Well, that also prompts another thought. Does anyone want to work with me to see if we can ship our cars out? It would be great to have the 458 out there for Speed Week and then show it at FCA. I have no idea how to manage the logistics of that, but I am sure we could figure it out.

Brett

12. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    You're welcome. As if you needed more incentive to spend your hard earned dollars in my state :) I forgot to mention that the Pre-Reunion (formerly known as Pre-Historics) races are held @ Laguna Seca the weekend before Car Week. While not all the cars have shown up, the crowds and parking are a lot easier to deal with and the atmosphere is more relaxed. Sort of like the old days.

Monterey is a good base too. You'll need to leave a little earlier each day to beat the traffic jams. And its worthwhile to keep checking back, as often times people will make a reservation for the following year but then their plans change. You might also visit the Northern California subforum and Craigslist starting in late July to see if people are offering to give up their reservations. Enjoy!

13. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Ok, here is the itinerary so far (and yes, I am staying at a crappy motel for $500/night -- LOL and WTF!).

Friday, August 14th -- arrive SFO and visit Laguna Seca in afternoon on way South, then the Barnyard Ferrari Show if it is held again this year.
    Saturday, August 15th -- Concorso Italiano, Quail if we hit the lottery and the RM Auction
    Sunday, August 16th -- Pebble, Bonhams, Laguna Seca (if time) and then the FCA Welcome Reception
    Monday, August 17th -- FCA Concours in Monterey, relaxing post Ferrari-orgy night
    Tuesday -- Fly home WITHOUT HAVING BOUGHT A CAR AT AUCTION!!!

Brett

14. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    Looks like you'll hit most of the highlights. A few notes:

Quail is on Friday, and tickets are by lottery so you should register your interest now. I didn't go last year, and understand they moved to an e-ticket system to discourage scalping, but if you don't get tickets directly, check FCA and Craigslist as you can find a few through those means. You get free admission to Bonhams on Friday if you go to Quail.

Otherwise, if you go to Laguna Seca on Friday you may want to hit RM and the other auctions in Monterey Friday night - more energy and a bigger selection of cars and closer to your motel. Quail will take you a few more miles further away from Monterey.

If you do ship your car and are attending Concorso with another person, its more cost effective to display the car than to purchase general admission tickets, but you will be discouraged from leaving much earlier than 4pm. The FCA-Pacific Region has a nice presence, it will be interesting to see how many people at the National Meet will be showing the cars at Concorso too.

I don't believe Bonhams runs on Sunday nite. Gooding does. Unless you get to Pebble very early and skip all the pageantry, it will be hard to also make it to Laguna. Getting out of Pebble takes awhile because its a gated community with only 4 entrances and general admission parking is far away from the show. Also, make sure you enjoy the classes of cars that will be racing later in the afternoon. I think they're usually cars from the 1970s & 1980s. I enjoy the cars from the 1950s & 1960s, which generally run earlier in the day.

Don't you want to buy an auction car as a souvenir of your trip? ;)

Hope this helps.

15. ncipps

ncipps Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    How far is Carmel from all the action? Would like to go this year and don't know all the logistics. Any hotel recommendations?

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    First an FYI the FCA Annual Meet will be held in Monterey starting on the Final day of the Monterey Weekend (Pebble Beach Concours), and Ferrari will be one of the Feature marques for the weekend. There will be well over 1,000 Ferraris on the Peninsula that weekend.

I've been going pretty much annually for over 20 years and can answer most questions you may have about the weekend. And yes the prices for Hotel Rooms have gotten insane, which is why I didn't go last year even though it was Maserati's 100 Anniversary year. I went to the Goodwood Revival instead. Not sure if I am going to go to Monterey next year, but I have already booked my rooms for Goodwood.

17. Green308GTSi

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Hello Brett,

I am willing to work with you on shipping our Ferraris to Monterey. Several times I have tried to get enough cars (6) to fill a truck to receive a discount. In the past, Horseless Carriage was open to providing that discount if I could organize a one stop pick up. Algar was willing to allow owners to drop off their Ferrari there. The problem has been, finding others owners going to an FCA Annual Meet. I'm sure other carriers would be willing to work with us if we had full truck too. Also Horseless give a 10% discount to FCA members.

I am planning on attending the Carmel by the Sea concours on Tuesday and staying through the FCA Annual Meet on the next Thursday.

As Joe mentioned there will be about 1,000 Ferraris there which the week a lot of fun and as others have said there is plenty to do.

18. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Here is a suggestion on shipping a car to Monterey. You won't need to get 6 people to ship.(I've done it before) We use Exotic Car transport for Le Belle Macchine.

They do a regular North South run along RT95. (They are Florida based). They also do a regular East West run across the South and to Monterey for the event. They will pick up your car probably about 2 weeks before in the Northeast, ship it to their warehouse in florida. Transfer it to one of the trucks going to Monterey and return it the same way. They will pick the car up at your house.

19. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Barry, let's work on it. Horseless Carriage may have folks who have contacted them directly to make 6. We also can use Exotic Car as a backup it seems (thanks for that suggestion), if we don't mind losing use of our cars for a month. Delivering mine from Texas recently was $1300, so I assume roundtrip to CA is probably about $2,500-$3,000 per car? The BMW I 640i I rented from Hertz for the trip is $2000 for the week, so I don't mind spending another $1k or so to have my own car there for FCA instead. The key for me is figuring out pickup and drop off from the airport without a logistical nightmare.

Brett

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    #20 italiancars, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Most transport companies do their drop offs and pick ups at the polo field area at pebble beach. Also Horseless Carriage will probably have at least 5 trucks coming out of the northeast between the shows, auctions etc.

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #21 WILLIAM H, Dec 19, 2014
  22. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #22 WILLIAM H, Dec 19, 2014
  23. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Barry, keep me posted on the rates you come up with. It might be better than towing.
    Thanks
    Tom

24. Green308GTSi

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Hey Tom and Brett,

I'll check with Horseless next week. Anybody going to Cavallino Classic?

25. JWheel

JWheel Karting

Jun 18, 2013
    Phoenixville, PA
    Full Name:
    Jon Wheel
    I went to Monterey in 2012 and it's an unbelievable time, I'm sure it's infinitely better for owners with their cars. Seems like everyone else already hammered home the key points of interest. I went to The Quail and the Pebble Beach Concours, both world-class events and a miracle that they somehow are in the same area around the same time. The week is just an experience like no other.