Need a good picture framer | FerrariChat

Need a good picture framer

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by turbos7903, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Hello to my fellow mid Atlantic enthusiast. I have some great posters that I received at Christmas and I'm looking to have them framed. I've gone to the local storefront framers before and found their work expensive (like $250) and average in quality . Any good suggestions from the crowd on a good picture framer at a reasonable price within a 30 min drive of Newark Delaware ? Thanks

2. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Jon,

Don't have a specific recommendation in DE, but Michael's frequently sends out discount coupons on framing if you're looking for something basic. I recently had them frame three Ferrari lithographs which I used to redecorate my home office (plus shelves for some of my 1:18 collection). I think it turned out quite well, if I might say so myself. 😉 See attached.

Cheers!
    Dennis

[​IMG]

3. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    That's is nice. I'm not on a Michaels email blast. Please let me know if you see a coupon . Thanks Dennis

4. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I've always found framers expensive and the quality no better than what I can do myself. (Granted, I have a photography background.) If you care to venture this way, per Dennis' suggestion, but use their coupon to buy a frame from their store, then frame it yourself.

If you prefer to use a frame shop, in addition to Michael's, locally, try Hardcastle Galleries. A very good friend of mine's father owns these two shops and they do good work. There are two locations, one in Newark Shopping Center (302)738-5003 and the other at 5714 Kennett Pike (302)655-5230. FYI, both shops are open Tuesday through Saturday.

5. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Grab the Sunday paper, go to their website, or just go into their store and pick up a circular (there's usually plenty by the entrance).

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Michael's does a pretty good job, but you're not going to find them that much cheaper than a "real" frame shop.

DIY is the way to go. You can buy some VERY NICE pre-fabbed frames at Michael's and do the rest yourself. AC Moore as well.

Just get UV resistant glass so the posters don't fade Tru Vue - Museum Glass®

Printed posters tend to be more susceptible to fade.

D

7. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Great suggestions all. I will check out the friend of the family Alex. Thanks. I dont trust my practicing on these particular set of posters. Jon

8. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Z Gallerie in West Chester is where we have all our frames done. Nice quality and not pricey.

9. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    I've used michaels quite a few times with no complaints. I always wait for a coupon to come in the mail. Usually 40-50% off.
    Recently I had a groupon for framesandart.com and used their newtown square location. I had a very good experience with them as well.

10. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I just had a print framed at our local Michael's using one of their 50% off coupons. While have no complaints with the quality of work (it really does look great), I think prices are artificially jacked up so that they can offer these coupon discounts to draw in business. I know, probably stating the obvious here.... Even with that coupon, I still paid over $200.

FWIW.

gp

11. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    I just had a car print done at Michaels and they do a fabulous job! One of the things they do is use a computer to photo the print and then add the matting so you can get a feel for what the final product will look like before you say go on the project while you stand there picking out frame and matting. It turned out better than even I expected.

Bobert

12. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Great news on the Michaels option. thanks for the heads up. Jon

13. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware