Good Reference for a PPI near DC area/Bethesda MD? | FerrariChat

Good Reference for a PPI near DC area/Bethesda MD?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by jimzdancewicz, Mar 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Hello All. New to FC. Have my eye on a 89 Mondial T in the DC area/Bethesda. Looking for
    reco on indépendant PPI shop or tech? Message me or call 610-306-5132

2. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Hello, I am looking to buy a 89 mondial t near the DC area. Any recommendations for an independent PPI?

Thanks
    Jim Z

3. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is only one I can personally recommend. Competizione in Gaithersburg, MD.

4. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks Moorfan. Called, they don't do them anymore (Nice guys on the phone) i have the car going to Wisko Engineering WISKO Race Engineering. They seem nice. Ferrari of Washington was great but it had to do with scheduling. Here's hoping I am a new first time Ferrari owner.. Thanks

5. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Those are three good choices you've discovered: Competizione, FOW, and Whisko Racing.

Good luck.

6. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Thanks Toggie. Interesting new issue. They are saying that due to the age (26 years) the car doesn't require a MD inspection or emissions. I know I need one in PA. Can anyone confirm? Really just worried about getting her home!

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Competezione
    They have my TR in for a major now and also service my 360. Richard has been my tech for 20+ years now. Great shop, good people

Sent via itty bitty electrons

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)

Al,

Agree, but in post #4 of this thread the OP called Competizione and they said over the phone they don't do PPIs any more.
    Have you heard anything about this?
    Seems a bit strange but I guess all things are possible.

- Ron

9. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Call Richard Garre @ Radcliffe Motorcar Co.
    410-517-1681
    He's a total straight arrow.
    I trust him with my GTC.

Enjoy your "new" car!

10. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis

Just a hypothesis here, no inside knowledge on Competizione...

When I was looking for a shop to do a PPI for me three years ago, I was told a lot of shops stopped doing PPIs because there were situations where the shops were getting sued for "missing" something, and they didn't want that liability (which is completely understandable).

I wonder if some shops may turn down PPIs for new (unknown) customers (to limit risk) while still offering to do do them for good, known customers?

Certainly an unfortunate situation, especially for people trying to get their first exotic, but also understandable from the shop's perspective. It's really too bad that we live in such a litigious society where businesses feel compelled to not offer a service due to possible risk of being sued....

11. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    +1
    another great choice.

12. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Thanks Ron, I did not know that had changed. I know the shop has a lot of cars in for service right now. Their business is booming, and rightfully so. I don't trust anyone else in this area with my cars.

Off Topic since you're also a pilot:
    I agree that it's a shame our society is so litigious. I think it may be one of the reasons the Piper aircraft plant shut down (Chapter 11) in the mid 80s.

We truly need tort reform in the US. I'd flown the TriPacer, Colt, 140, 180, Arrow, Cherokee 6, Apache and Aztec. It's sad that greed and lawsuits can cause a good biz into bankruptcy.

Sent via itty bitty electrons

13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

In PA, hang a classic plate on it and you can skip the emissions inspection. Also, if you drive it less than 5,000 miles a year, no emissions test needed.

Basic street worthy state inspection will serve you well on a car this old. Especially a Ferrari.

If it passes the PPI and you register/title it in PA, you have, I think, 30 days to get it inspected, gives you time to remedy any inspection issues.

Seeing as you are in Berwyn, you could run it over to Don Galbraith's shop off route 30 for once over. I seem to recall he had a good Ferrari guy

DON GALBRAITH MOTORING INC.

Algar, of course, would be a good choice as well.

Happy hunting,

D

14. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Al, I agree.
    Plane manufacturers get named in almost every aviation lawsuit.
    And, as we know, the accidents often are due to pilot error.

Maybe Competizione will still do PPIs for existing customers.
    We'll have to ask them to find out for sure.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I use Wisko and recommend them. I do most of my own work but for the really technician stuff I get their help. They just did belts on my 360CH.

16. SpykerBAS

SpykerBAS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    B. Sokolow
    Hi Jim,

Welcome to FC. Join the club, and then bring the Mondial T to C&C in West Chester this Spring! I second the recommendation of Radcliffe, and I agree with Dave about the PA registration and emissions exemptions. PM me with any questions.

Brett

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#17 NbyNW, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
    Yes for Radcliffe also. Stop by their shop on May 2 for their car show. You'll see some fantastic cars and meet really nice folks.

18. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    jimzdancewicz,

Once you get your F-car, have it serviced at Competizione. They are awesome and great to deal with. They serviced my 360 (belts, tensioners) several years ago when I lived in VA. I called Richard a couple of months ago and he told me what to check for a door latch issue. You can't go wrong there!!!!

Good luck with the purchase!!!!

19. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    #19 jimzdancewicz, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Here is an update: My dream of owning a Ferrari will have to wait.

Wisko Engineering did the PPI and the car didn't do well. Large oil leaks on the shop floor from just 1 day of sitting. Undercarriage inspection showed substantial oil on many of the lower components. Looks like fairly major issues with a few other smaller issues. Ballpark was $8-10k
    to fix. Being as I was going to buy the car for $35k, this deal went south quick as it was way more than I want to get involved with at this point.

Thank god I read many of the threads on here about the importance of PPI's. Being fairly new at this and somewhat drunk on the euphoria of actually potentially buying a Ferrari, I almost skipped it. Needless to say it was worth the $350 for the PPI.

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone has a info on a 89-93 Mondial t in great shape, please let me know.

Thanks
    Jim Z

20. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    It's not a failed PPI. It's just data on what she needs. Your dream is still there, this just wasn't the car.

Excellent information for someone who wants to do the work. Just not what *you* want.

Glad you did it and learned though, right?

I've known new buyers who have spent over 5K in PPIs on multiple cars to find the one that spoke to them.

You should have 8-10K readily available on a purchased car. EVERY one needs something. My advice was always save up for your comfortable purchase price then keep going another 25%. You might need it all, you might only need some. This is a cash game and you need it available or you're not gonna have fun with your first.

21. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    You are right Brian. Not so much as a PPI failure. but rather than a failure of expectations. You are also correct, They all need something. Here is hoping I can find one that needs less than this.

Thanks