Special thanks to Mclaren of Philadelphia | FerrariChat

Special thanks to Mclaren of Philadelphia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by JoeZaff, May 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 JoeZaff, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First... Yes I sold my Testarossa and bought a Mclaren. ... I can't believe it either!!! I have been a dyed in the wool Ferrari lover for as long as I can remember, but at some point I stopped identifying with the newer stuff from the Marque and I have a disdain for modern cars in general. The Mclaren is something very special, at least to me. I have a hard time explaining why I love it so much, and any explanation I give will unintentionally come off as a critique of another marque. Let me just say that ignore the reviews and drive one yourself... It's Much easier to experience than it is to explain... And make sure you try one with the optional sport exhaust... It is sublime.

Most importantly I want to share what an amazing experience I had dealing with Mclaren Philadelphia. They were exceedingly professional and courteous. No haggling, no b.s. I also got a real introduction to the marque. I met with the service department and got a thorough eduction on the nuances of the vehicle and my salesman Hamilton and the business manager, Chad, are real car enthusiasts who could also answer my most esoteric questions.

So how did I end up with a Mclaren... A few weeks ago I organized an exotic car valet for the
    children at DuPont Children's Hospital for their prom. Mclaren and their parent company RDS, brought 6
    Cars, meaning 6 employees took their free time to help these kids. They didn't do it for publicity and shrugged away from recognition. I promised myself I would go there first the next time I was in the market for a car. So I went there when I decided to start looking for a replacement for the Testarossa. I test drove the car and the rest is history... I am really excited about the car, but it feels really good to have given my business to such a great group of people.

Hopefully you will still let me stay on F-chat now that I have abandoned my beloved marque... I will be back one day....

With another Mondial ;-)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Wow !!
    Joe I am shocked!!
    You have always been Mr Ferrari to me.
    You are a very intelligent and analytical person so I am sure your decision wasnt sporadic.
    I dont know what else to really say except congrats and good luck.
    You are always welcome here, in fact please stay. Your posts are always enjoyable.
    Best regards
    -Dominic

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Joe,

Congrats!! Looks like a very special car, enjoy the opportunity!

4. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Joe, it must have been extremely hard letting go of your beloved TR. Believe me I know, I sold a TR several months ago and I still really miss that car.

Here's wishing you many thrilling miles and smiles in the 12c. I look forward to seeing the new car at next year's prom event...

5. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

Thanks! It was awesome to have had the privilege of owning her... It was always and will always be my Favorite Ferrari. It was just time to move on and into something more usable for the limited free time I have.

6. cayman13

cayman13 Karting

Nov 18, 2014
    Congrats Joe. Beautiful car and looking forward to hearing more about your experiences and comparisons.

7. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Joe, congrats again. A fantastic car, and as you said, perhaps more usable more often then your TR. Can't wait to see it in person!

8. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    Joe-

Congrats and drive it in good health! What was it that made you start to look at other vehicles?

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

Thanks!

Ultimately, I think it was my MGB that killed it! Thoughts had been brewing for awhile but two weeks ago it came to a head. it was a beautiful outside and I wanted to take a fun car to run some errands. I couldn't take the MGB because there would be a lot of highway driving involved...and I didn't want to die ;) . I looked to the Testarossa and said--screw it, its not worth the stress and hassle. So off I went in my Jeep. During the drive, I started thinking what the hell am I doing. I have such little free time and when I do, I never use the TR because it's way to stressful. The car was just too damn perfect and I didn't want to mess it up. I didn't buy the car to drive it just 1000 miles a year, but that's what was happening. Most importantly, I felt like the MGB distilled everything I liked about vintage cars and I drive it all the time, so I felt I had the freedom to try something newer without losing my connection to the past. However, I couldn't rack my brain as to any modern car I wanted to have. The truth is that I just don't get modern cars
    Except the Lotus Elise and Miata.

I went to Mclaren to start a conversation since they have a variety of Marques on their lot. I had no intention of buying a Mclaren!

I test drove it and instantly new this was the
    Car I had been searching for. It has the reflexes of a Lotus, the power to weight of a motorcycle, a glorious and totally unique engine note, and the fit and finish of Porsche.

it's suspension also has the ability to be so supple that I can take my wife out to dinner and not feel like I am torturing her!

What I love about Enzo Ferrari was that his road cars reflected his racing heritage. He built his road cars to be the best... The sound, the excitement were a byproduct of driving purpose built machines not the purpose of the machines themselves.

The Mclaren gives me that same vibe. Mclaren is a racing company that decided it wanted to build the best sports car in the world based on its definition of what that meant. There is an amazing honesty in the execution. The 12c is pure. It doesn't screw around, it puts its cards on the table and you either get it or you don't. I am smitten.

10. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    I like that. ^^^^^^^

11. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Sounds like you might be able to assign blame to the PA DOT with that "Ate Enzo" license plate! :)

But again congrats! May you drive her in the best of health!

Cheers!
    Dennis

12. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Congrats Joe!!
    Erik

13. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

One of the things that has "crushed" my Ferrari passion is that the ownership needs to be a complete experience for me....starting with the purchase. I'll let readers dig into the "soft underbelly" of that comment.

Find a brand that really cares about having you as a customer.

14. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Congrats Joe.

Your TR sure was special, but I understand your rational. Will they be retailing your TR at that dealership?

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks! I didn't discuss their plans for the TR, but somebody told me they saw it on their website. I firmly believe it is the nicest one available so I hope it goes to a good home!

16. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I can see why Joe left Ferrari after two good experiences with the Mondial and the Testa Rosa. For him (and for me, too) the passion for cars is not necessarily a marriage to any one car forever, but instead it is the ability to sample/savor many different cars over the years.

I just treated myself to a new BMW 228i, which is going to be my daily driver. Will it be my last purchase? Probably not, because there are so many cars, and so little time......

Good luck, Mr. Zaff.

17. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I understand it's been sold and is next month's feature on Sunday morning show "Pimp my Ride"

18. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    Joe Congrats on the new addition.
    I have look at MP4's as well but you beat me to it
    Cant wait to see it

19. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    250k ask on the TR!

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #20 JoeZaff, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    If any TR deserves it, that one does. It is an amazing example. I hope they get whatever they ask.

21. SM Photography

SM Photography Karting

Oct 20, 2014
    Full Name:
    Spencer M.
    Congrats Joe, can't wait to see her at C&C!

22. AdvancedDetailingMainLine

BANNED

Nov 17, 2014
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt Davis
  23. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Congrads Joe

When the 650s comes down ...I'll make the jump. Hope it bring as much pleasure

24. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    joe,

Congradulations on the new car. The 12C is one of my favorites and well as the silver.

I will have to try to get down to cars and coffee to check it out.

david

25. Flipjack

Flipjack Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Its not like you ever bought any cars or were any kind of loyal repeat customer. What did you expect?? Geez.