Track days | FerrariChat

Track days

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 2Veloce, Jun 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm fairly new to the Fchat. Also first time ferrari owner. I have about 1000 miles on my spider. Never been on the track. Would love to go. Does ferrari owners ever get together for a "track day?" A friend of mine through his Viper club (sorry) got together and brought their cars to the Austin Tx track. He said it was an incredible time.
    the vest track he's been to ( he's been to a lot of tracks). Would love to do something like that with a bunch of car people. I live in Annapolis Md.... Thanks.

2. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Might I suggest that you consider a PDX event at Summit Point with the DC Region of the SCCA? You can read about here:

PDX (Track Days) - WDCR SCCA

You might also want to do your first track day in a less overwhelming vehicle. If you are really climbing the learning curve, you are going to spin, use up a lot of brakes and tires, and come home with a dusty, dirty, and pretty hammered on car.

As they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

3. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Screw SCCA.

Next decent local event is next weekend on Summit's Shenandoah circuit with EMRA. Register for the time trial school. Few entries so you'll have lots of tracktime and space on track. I'll probably be there w/ friends entered Sunday. EMRA returns to Summit on the Main track in fall.

4. Rob in Potomac

Rob in Potomac Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2006
    Potomac, MD
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Another suggestion - Summit Point with PCA Potomac region. I ran my 360 Spider for a few years with them. Excellent coaching especially for Green group (new to track) with a High Performance Driving Clinic required for new drivers. Summit Point main probably best track for you, based on location and type of track. A number of groups run at SP, most will provide quality and safety for you.

Currently running new GT3, Spider for weekend enjoyment.

Rob in Potomac

5. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Is your negative view of SCCA related to their PDX program, club racing, solo, or something else?

6. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Looooonnnnnggggg list. But your list is part of the problem, too big to do any one program well. Was a member, organizer, some regional title and won many championships way back when. A program I started in the 1990s in now one of the club's strongest.

SCCA rely's on revolving door of ego-tripping volunteers with self-assigned fancy club titles many of which are noobs, steal one programs $ to support another more popular program, RE's controlling programs they know or care nothing about, more car classes than drivers, drone ban for all programs rule (have flown at rallyX for national TV show and killed no one), national program director asked me to change wording of a document promoting a SCCA event when those words were copy and pasted from their website, $ set we paid and set aside for annual trophies then not provided by Division controlled by another program, rules galore and a book of rule changes every month, clubracers who all believe they are pro and need to win plastic trophy by crashing into everyone else at first corner, RE-of-the-month did not permit a different region from hosting an event within their region although they did not have a program, .....

The small clubs that cater to limited programs are a better experience.

7. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Thanks for your reply, and I respect your experience. But, what does all that have to do with what the OP is asking for? All he wants to do is find a way to experience his car on track, presumably at a safe and fun event. That may or may not necessarily lead to more track time in his car or heaven forbid ... racing! I'll occasionally instruct for various HPDE organizations, and all I care about is that they practice what they all preach (ie. safety and fun). I don't have personal experience with SCCA's PDX program, so I can not offer any opinion as to whether it would fulfill the OP's obective.

Sorry to derail this thread, let's get back to helping the OP. Best regards.

8. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
  9. ProRallyCodriver

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    #9 ProRallyCodriver, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    SCCA is large club trying to do everything w/ every volunteer a fancy title w/ too many rules, car classes, politics, BS, cars on track,.....that is overwhelming for beginner. HPDEs are lame.

EMRA is small laidback club and we are on southern fringe of their events so less people register down here. Lots of instruction, track time, space on track, less chance of being wacked by others, they sign you off soon as you are safe to run Time Attack (often in 1 weekend) if you wish so you can be competing and getting laptimes making it more interesting than losing interest than with repetitive HPDEs other clubs offer.

Also at Summit Point, Exclusive Motors (Aston Martin/McLaren/Bentley of Tysons) rents the track for track days and most everyone is invited.

10. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Thanks so much for the feedback..will research and check my schedules. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm sure i'll see you at an event..

11. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    #11 schao, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    There use to be a master calendar of all the various track events across the USA one could search, but I can't find it now (haven't used it in over 10 years!). But this is even better for OP. Here is the link to a search for all the driver schools within 180 miles of where you live. Good luck.

Events near 21401 | MotorsportReg.com

PS Other independent organizers I used to run with and are highly respectful of in the northeast are:

Welcome to the Sports Car Driving Association! | SCDA
    ChinMotorsports.com - More Tracks, More Track Time
    Trackmasters
    Group 52 > Home

12. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    I'll second the vote for PCA Potomac chapter. Very well run event and a great group I people. One of the cheapest too! Only negative is a somewhat restrictive tech procedure. Totally worth it though. Have also run with NASA, Hooked on Driving and BMWCCA. Relatively new to it all but happy to answer any questions.

13. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    Say what you will, I had the best racing weekend of my life this weekend at the WDCR-SCCA MARRS V race. Despite a few facility-related issues, the club ran a brilliant event. I had some problems with the procedures for one race on Saturday. My feedback was courteously received and the problem was resolved by Sunday. What I perceived to be a flagging error was likewise handled in a model manner. I've been racing since 1992, so I think I know a bit about how an event ought to run. That said, the SCCA has its own heritage and baggage. It's not going to be the right place for everyone.

My experience is that the events feel safe, fair, well-managed, and friendly. When you smile, people smile back. Just like life.

PS--Chesapeake PCA is a great club, too. Fantastic people--I love their Autocross program. Super low-key. I know nothing about EMRA, but good to hear positive feedback about them.

14. wahoo5

wahoo5 Karting

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Full Name:
    David
    The NC chapter of FCA does a track event at VIR annually. It is usually in the spring. VIR is a great track, far better than Summit. I have driven both, although not in my Ferrari.

Email the NC guys and ask them to put you on their mailing list. It is your best chance to run with a bunch of other Ferraris unless you go to the FCA International meet.

15. AaronMeisner

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I was planning on doing this event, but there was still snow and ice all over Baltimore and there was just no way I was going to deal with it. It turned out to be a lovely weekend. Wish I could have done that!