Pittsburgh | FerrariChat

Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by J430S, Jul 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    A broker has pitched a restaurant location for us in the Union Trust building in downtown Pittsburgh. I know nothing about Pittsburgh, can anyone let me know their thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What specifically would you like to know?

Pittsburgh is an epicenter for boutique foodie restaurants.

Most mainstream chain restaurants do a lot with business meals. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, The Capital Grille are all within a few blocks of each other.

There's a long-standing upscale place called The Carlton a block from your location.

Other business downtown is less expensive lunch fare. The city closes out in the evenings except for sports events and theater. Theater district has all the foodie spots.

Let me know what else you'd like to hear.

Matt

3. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    #3 Evolved, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    I had a meeting in this building last year. It is an old building with some really nice architectural touches. Those types of spaces are not at all uncommon here. At the time I got the impression the building was almost empty of tenants. Every area I walked through except the office I was in and the lobby had the heat turned way down.

Downtown is undergoing a lot of wonderful improvements but has a long way to go. 10 years ago downtown was devoid of any life after 5pm. Now it is better, especially on weekends there is a good amount of life. I was downtown last Saturday night at Heinz hall. It was also a beautiful Saturday night in summer. Those are rare. It was quite vibrant. There is a lot of hype around the "foodie" culture and frankly Pittsburgh in general that you may read about so tread lightly.

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You need boots on the ground to Nederland this market. The Alcoa building is empty and is giving space away to nonprofits. A new Hotel Monaco (Kimpton property) moved in next door and the restaurant The Commoner is going gangbusters.

If you wanted to come out to check things out, I could give you a tour on a weekend.

Matt

5. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    Is that the Regional Enterprise Tower? Do you know how they're doling out space to charities? I know at least one that might need something just like that.

But that does exemplify the "dual" nature of our fair city. Much commercial real estate sits empty while we build brand new buildings with the help of incentives down the block.

How did you like The Commoner?

Salt of the Earth is closing but no real surprise there. The communal seating thing is only fun once.

ps. Sorry for the hijack.

6. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

This is a very nice part of downtown. I don't know much about the parking in that area, but if you are looking to start a high class dinning experience , your location is good.

7. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    Thank you everyone for your input and your offer Matt. The restaurant would be a PJ Clarkes, one of the oldest bar/restaurants in NYC. Since 1884 actually. The menu is American fare. It is consistently on he top 5 burgers in NYC, but has a very extensive menu. Pittsburgh is appealing to us because nationally the ratio of food to drinks is 7:3. In Pittsburgh it's 6:4. We currently have 3 locations in NYC and one in DC, all are doing very well.

8. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Autocorrect. That should be "navigate."

Actually I was thinking of the Alcoa Building. It's surprisingly empty and what little occupancy it has is nonprofit. Amazing.

You're completely right about the dual nature of Pittsburgh.

You're welcome. I believe the Pittsburgh ratio of food to drinks. The steakhouses pour a lot of wine, and the hipster places make a lot of specialty cocktails and serve exotic IPAs.

Do come and see. There also may be neighborhoods that are better than downtown for a PJ Clarkes. Mount Washington, the Strip District, or Oakland come to mind.

Matt

10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Might not be the best location for your restaurant but the Union Trust Building is a magnificent building by any standard.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That it is. I would be proud to have a restaurant in it.

There may be more successful locations, though.

After looking a little more at PJ Clarkes, something on the North Side (near Hyde Park or Bettis's Grille, but not far from the stadia) or near the Consol Arena might be great.

Matt