MD vehicle safety inspection | FerrariChat

MD vehicle safety inspection

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Ez041296, Aug 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ez041296

Ez041296 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi All!

I'm about to join the F-club, having purchased a car out of state, on a truck now to Maryland.

Having bought or leased all my previous cars new, I don't have any idea about how the Maryland used vehicle safety inspection works - other than I have to get it done. I'm just worried that any old shop will put it on a lift, and do things to the car that might hurt her.

So, does anyone out there have any experience with the safety inspection and would you think it would be OK to have the guy on the corner inspect it? Or know of any place that does the safety inspection for high end cars?

Thanks all, hope to be cruising around to some cars and coffee soon!

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Most inspection shops don't even want to touch a Ferrari. Not sure where you are located in MD, but I would suggest having your local independent such as competizione handle it for you.

I had Competizione manage the inspection for my 360 Spider when I got her and it was well worth it. They have a local inspection shop they work with that allows them to bring the car over and present it for inspection.

The other local option they recommended to me was one of the two gas stations in downtown Potomac who supposedly are not afraid to touch exotics.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What year is the car? Cars older than 20 years do not need a safety inspection in MD to be registered.

Where in MD are you located? I believe a lot of dealers are authorized inspection stations, so you may be able to go to a Benz/BMW/Porsche etc dealer to have it done.

4. Ez041296

Ez041296 Rookie

Aug 22, 2011
    Baltimore
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks guys.

It's a 2012, and I'm in the Baltimore area, but will have to be in the DC area next weekend so I can go anywhere to get it done. Hopefully just trying to save some time figuring out where so I can enjoy her before the weather gets too cold here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maybe try Maserati of Baltimore in Towson to see if they can do it for you?

6. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Also Radcliffe Motorcar Co. in Owings Mills

410-517-1681

Ask for Richard

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Competezione hands down. Richard and Fernando are the best, having serviced my 3 Ferraris for 25 years now

Sent via itty bitty electrons

8. awilson

awilson Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2013
    Annapolis Md
    Full Name:
    Andrew G. Wilson,II
    I must agree with Al. Competizone. Get the straight truth. Andy

9. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    But Competiizeone is not an inspection station. They sub it out to someone else.

Not sure about Richard at Radcliffe.

After the inspection either vendor would be good to get to know.

10. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Competezione would be my first stop BEFORE an inspection station to sort out safety or mechanical issues, Curtis. Peace of mind at a reasonable cost

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    If you have dealt with a local Maryland state inspection station that you can trust why not deal with them. The only questions they may have are little things like rotor thickness that are not in normal books but available on the interweb. Besides local guys love Ferrari's and should be very nice to you. Good luck and enjoy!

12. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I drove my car straight to Competizione from out of state.

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Full Name:
    Al
    Wise move Chris. You're number 4573 in the fan club

14. Fast Rev

Fast Rev Rookie

Feb 4, 2007
    Linthicum, MD
    May I suggest that you take it to Radcliffe
    I see that you really need two things.
    1) have them give the car a once over. There may be issues with the car that are not safety inspection related that you may need to know about and have sorted out. This is different than a safety inspection
    2) have them get the car inspected. I understand that Richard has inspection stations that he uses.

Good luck

15. dtcali14

dtcali14 Rookie

May 21, 2015
    I took my 14 Cali to BP Station on River Rd in Potomac. I was referred there by Competizione. I can't remember the owner name but he did the inspection quickly. I had purchased by vehicle from Ferrari of Washington.

16. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
  17. AaronMeisner

AaronMeisner Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2014
    Baltimore MD USA
    Full Name:
    Aaron Meisner
    I would second the idea of the Historic tag option. While the letter of the law stipulates that you can only drive the car to shows/events/service and for "occasional use," I would argue that any time I drive my 308 it's an occasion.

Seriously though, I have three cars on Maryland historic tags and I have never gotten a second glance from the law. This also allows you to avoid the indignity of the smog check process. And it's cheap.