HELP! Personal property tax in Virginia | FerrariChat

HELP! Personal property tax in Virginia

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by f1fanforlife, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It’s time to pay personal property tax in Virginia and my assessment is too high due to the fact that they look at what my car is selling for on the internet and not what it will actually go for. They are looking at the high end as well, so last year I had to give them an average of what the car is selling for. This is still way too high.
    Any ideas on how to prove to the city that my car is not worth what it is listed for on the internet?
    Help and ideas much appreciated.

2. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Maybe take it to a dealer (like CarMax) and have them give you a 'trade in' value in writing. It should be much lower then the 'retail' appraisal that NOVA often taxes on.

3. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a good idea. I think from my dealings with them last year I will have to supply them with a few ideas to find out what they will accept but I will definitely consider your plan. Much appreciated.
    Kevin.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I was able to prove diminished value on my 599 and they significantly lowered my assessment. There's a form for it, just go get it from your tax office. But you'll have to make a compelling argument why they shouldn't go by NADA. If the car doesn't have a story, I don't know how you do that.

5. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for the info Bob. Did not know about that. I will look into it. It's worth a try.

6. Bobert

Bobert Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    Oak Hill VA
    Fairfax County uses the NADA book value as of 1 January each year using the NADA January guide. I would recommend you go to the FFX County web site and read how they do it as it has all the information spelled out there on how they determine value, (I looked at it recently myself) then you can see if you have a valid issue with them on your car. Each county determines value differently so Pipers county may use a different guide or procedure.

Bobert

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Loudoun is the same. You have to have a valid reason for them to discount, accident or other story. Remember we're talking VA state property tax, not county sticker, even though you can't get the sticker without paying the tax.

8. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which by the way is a tax on a tax.

9. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I received my personal property tax as well. I was shocked to see that the amount I owe is more than doubled from last year! I looked at the NADA and saw the (3) values for my car. Following their formula:

(Assessed Value /$100) x $4.57 = Current Tax

Still doesn't come up to what I owe. I applied this formula to all (3) values in NADA and the value is more than what I owe. I'm afraid to bring this up to them because I don't want Fairfax County to say "Oh! In that case you owe us MORE money!"

I'm definitely registering my car as an Antique for next year! Unfortunately, that's not something Kevin (the OP) can do.

Bill P.

10. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's what happens when a red state forgets it's red for a few election cycles. Glad I dumped the ferrari.

11. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for all the info guys. There's always a price to pay to have nice toys. Just wish I was not feeling financially raped.

12. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    A good friend of mine had that problem in his city. He went to the tax assessor and told them, "If you can find someone - anyone! - to buy this car at that price, I'll sell it, pay your tax, and have enough left over to buy two more!"

That argument didn't fly...... :(

gp

13. f1fanforlife

f1fanforlife Karting

Nov 20, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    That sounded like a great plan until I read the last part :)