RIP Steve McCarthy (SCM) | FerrariChat

RIP Steve McCarthy (SCM)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by AJS328, Sep 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #1 AJS328, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's with a very heavy heart that I tell you all of the passing of my friend Steve McCarthy. Steve was a very active member of the Richmond area Ferrari scene. He was a wonderful guy that was always so enthusiastic and fun to talk to.

I was lucky enough to get to know Steve through the Ferrari circles. He was a subsequent owner of my first 328, and he's the guy that I bought it back from 10 years later. It was by chance that we became friends. While he was perusing the service records of that car, he saw my contact info and reached out to me for details about it. We became friends as a result of our early conversations about the car and it blossomed from there. We even spent weekends together over the years with our families, both down in VA and up here in NJ.

About six years ago Steve developed a fairly aggressive form of cancer. His wife Andrea is a doc in Richmond and she made sure he received the best care possible, but they knew early on that it wasn't going to be curable. He still gave it a great fight and he got many more years than they originally thought possible. And through it all he never lost his spirit. Not even a little bit.

I extend my deepest sympathies to Andrea, and their twin boys Marc and Jack. They are such good people and they've always been so wonderful to Josie and I, and to our son Gabriel. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. Steve was a fantastic guy and he will be missed. I will cherish getting to know him over the years.

I miss you already, buddy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sorry to hear of his passing.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Very sad, he was a great guy and would get the local owners together a couple of times a year. We all got together a couple of weeks ago to see him and surround him with some fine Italian machinery, and he was in good spirits and always a great guy to talk to. A true enthusiast and a welcoming person, he'll be missed for sure.

4. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    I only met Steve once or twice, but what super nice guy. So very, very sad to hear this....

gp

5. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    A kind and gentle soul. I also met Steve a few times when I attended the Classics on the Green event. Really enjoyed getting to know him.

God speed Steve! RIP.

BillP.

6. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    I agree Steve was most enjoyable and a great guy,loved his family and friends and was instrumental in bringing us all together around our cars creating friendships along the way we will miss him..our heart felt prayers go out to Andrea and the boys,Chuck Coli

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Same here, I met Steve at the same show the year Gus came down. RIP Steve

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    His wife Andrea told me that on Friday he told her that he was going to a Ferrari parade on Sunday (the day he passed). Seems that he was thinking about the cars he loved right up until the end.