FF Damaged on delivery - need paint advise | FerrariChat

FF Damaged on delivery - need paint advise

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by colamclean, Oct 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colamclean

colamclean Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    #1 colamclean, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We took delivery of a 2012 FF Yesterday. Purchased in Vegas last week prior to the closure of Penske-Wynn Ferrari. Great car.

Unfortunately the driver damaged the paint on the roof (deep scratches through paint to undercoat) and it will need to be repaired. Any of you have experience (good or bad) with the paint shops of or used by FOW and Competizione?

Any other suggestions - the color (photos attached) is Rosso Maranello. Thank you!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Patrick,

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sorry to hear about your damage to the paint. I would contact:

D&V Autobody
    23550 Overland Dr. Sterling, VA 20166
    Phone: (703) 661-8545

This is who FoW uses and they are a FCA-MAR sponsor! Ask for Raj - he's one of the owners. They are a great bunch of people. Tell them that Bill Proctor sent you and we hope to see you at one of our club events soon!

Bill P.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
  4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree about Karosserie. They are factory authorized and just do this kind of work on a whole other level.

5. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks Bill! I will talk with them.

6. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks! I will probably try to get the work done in the DC area, but will check these guys out. Obviously the most important thing is to get the work done at the highest standard.

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Highest standard is Karosserie, period.
    Jamie or Steve can arrange for pick up and delivery too.

8. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ. That is where FNA sends all the new Ferraris that are damaged in shipping from Italy.

9. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks, I will talk with them.

10. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    +1

11. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I would also endorse D&V. They did great work on one of my cars that has a fairly complex multi-layer pearl, and you can't even tell anything was done. Kevin is one of the guys there who is a son of the owners and was extremely helpful. Their parking lot is always full of exotics.

12. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    I REALLY appreciate the thoughts/advise of everyone. I am still in shock that the transporter damaged the car. The metallic Rosso Maranello paint has to be perfect, and I want to make sure there are no seams that reflect masking tape having been used, etc...

My plan is to visit D&V in person and listen to how they would approach the repair and then call Karosserie and see how their approach/results would compare. Thanks to you all. I will do a full recap once the repairs are done.

13. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks again for the recommendations. I visited D&V and was impressed with the shop. Ultimately I decided to go with Karosserie. After speaking over the phone with Jamie Cummings I was just more comfortable with them. The car was transported to Karosserie this past week. I plan to visit the shop to get a tour and meet Jamie in person. Now, just have to see how successful USAA is in getting the auto transporter to pay for the damage. I will provide updates as the work is completed.

14. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Are the scratches down past the paint?

15. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Yes through the paint to the undercoat. Area about 35" x 7".

16. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Did transporter take responsibility for it at delivery or did he say it was like that already?

17. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    The auto transporter admits responsibility. I will wait before naming the company, a major west-coast transporter, and give them a chance to do right. To further complicate things, this company contracted with a 3rd party transporter who was picking up a Porsche GT3 in my area to transport my car. I had no knowledge of this until the car arrived. Obviously I am concerned. It is going to be interesting to see how USAA, the transporter, the 3rd-party and their insurance companies handle this. The primary transporter claims on their website to have $5MM coverage. We'll see. USAA says it can sometimes take months to work these things out.

18. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Another vote for either Karosserie or Classic Coach if you want a flawless product.

19. Sechsgang

Sechsgang Formula Junior

May 29, 2006
    Wayne, PA
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Another vote for Karosserie here. Just the cars in the lot are enough to inspire confidence.

20. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That's awful, sorry. Never seen damage quite like that before. Really curious how it could have happened.

21. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Of course the driver, while admitting it happened on his watch, claimed he had no idea how it happened. There is an almost exact pattern to two hand-sized areas of scratches towards the center of the roof - this is where the scratches go through the clear-coat and paint to the undercoat. Then, there are lesser scratches extending a foot or more laterally on each side towards the doors. Almost looks to me like there could have been a strap with buckles used as a tie-down. Don't know much about how exotics are transported, and even though I was there as the car was unloaded, could not see and did not inspect it prior to unloading - it was at the very front of the truck on the top (2nd) level of cars. If I am able to find out how this happened I will report...

22. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    BTW, my experience so far with Karosserie has been great. Communication (with Jamie) has been timely and frequent. I plan to drive up to Philly and see their work in progress sometime soon. I am confident I will be completely happy with the repair.

23. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Once your car is at Karosserie I can stop by to check out the progress on it. I'm within 2 minutes of them everyday.

24. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I will suggest Robert Appel. He use to have his own shop in Manassas, VA, but I think he had to take a job at 'Mr Spoiler' shop also in Manassas. He is a fantastic painter and color match master. He did work on my 360 Modena and repainted my 1996 993 Porsche to amazing finish. Here is his cell no. 703.973.4989 say George Bockelmann sent you. Well worth checking him out.

25. colamclean

Nov 5, 2013
    McLean, VA
    Full Name:
    Patrick Transue
    Thanks, George, but the repair is fully underway at Karosserie. I am driving up from the DC area tomorrow to check on the progress.