What are you doing during the blizzard of 2016 | FerrariChat

What are you doing during the blizzard of 2016

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by 355dreamer, Jan 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Forecasts west of the city are now up to as much as 30". No doubt, the metro area will be crippled for at least the next 4-5 days.

We've stocked up on food, prepared the generator (although we only have enough fuel for about a day), and made arrangements for a plow to come Saturday night and clear the driveway. I even went as far as to book in advance a few nights in a local Marriott should we need to bug out. :)

We took the kids to an indoor kids gym today to get them out of the house before the innevitable lockdown.

How are you guys preparing to spend the next few days of snowmagedon 2.0?

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I plan on drinking heavily.

3. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    Shoveling snow for all the neighbors (our cul-de-sac) while their kids instead of helping went to distant neighbors to get their $20/driveway. Way to educate kids...

Edit: yes, and drinking as well. Case of fine wine is ready to go :)

4. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
  5. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    My wife and I have been saying for months now - "when the blizzard hits we need to":
    Organize the basement
    Clean out the closet (her closet)
    Do some minor home touch ups - grout, nail pops, paint touch up, etc.

Now its here. So far we watched a movie!

Now I am going to cook up some orange glazed salmon. Perhaps I will go out and clear the driveway with the tractor tonight. Then maybe a little binge watching of True Blood.

Tomorrow...? Perhaps we will be a little productive. Perhaps not.

Curtis

Well! Gina just made herself a martini! Things are not looking too good for a basement work night :D

6. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    In Costa Rica with study club! 75 sunny...sorry...

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Filled the 4x4's up with gas, got gas for the generator and made sure it was ready to go, stocked up on beer and filled the fridge with food. Should be good for a couple of days depending on how long the power goes out, I've got about a day and a half of gas for the gen and I could take some from the jeep or truck if i don't feel like making a gas run (or they're all closed).

I was very close to ordering a propane kit for the generator a couple of weeks ago 'just in case' as I've got an 80 gallon tank for the stove and fireplace (which means it's always got at least 60 gallons in it). With that I could hunker down for a week or two. Oh well, I'm going to order it for next time.

So far we watched mad max, great movie. Tomorrow I'm sure we'll be doing snowmen and snowball fights with the kids.

8. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #8 toggie, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My neighbors helped me put tire chains on my tractor.
    Each chain weighs about 200 pounds.
    So, gotta lift about 90 lbs of chain to lay it over the top of each tire and fasten it.

Learned a new trick using "tire chain straps" which are red nylon straps that let you temporarily extend the length of the chains so that the tractor can roll forward and lift the chains itself over the tire.
    Much easier that way. :)

If everything goes okay, then I'll be plowing mine and the neighbors driveways late on Saturday.
    BUT, if anyone in the neighborhood needs an ambulance or has a home fire and the fire trucks need to get through, then their only hope is my tractor and my neighbor's farm tractor.
    So, most of this tractor prep is for the hopefully-not-needed worst case scenario.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#9 NbyNW, Jan 22, 2016
    Honda genny is ready to go. Snow blower is ready. Plenty of wine, bourbon, scotch, and food. Rather have this than a hurricane.

Nice JD. Open cabin in a blizzard doesn't sound like fun.

Years back on the cattle farm we had a front mounted snow blower for our IH966. That thing was awesome clearing drives and feeding paths.

Something like this.

10. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.

Can you drive that thing over to potomac MD tomorrow? :D

11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#11 NbyNW, Jan 22, 2016
    Memories of past tractors... Had to Google images for it. Full cabin was nice but a/c never worked. So it was always hot in there until winter when it was always cold. 70's tech.

12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Tractor chains are awesome. Go anywhere.

13. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #13 toggie, Jan 22, 2016
    I agree, an open cabin on the tractor would be too cold in a blizzard.
    The open cabin is an temporary illusion - only for sunny plowing days.
    In storms like this one, I put the vinyl sides on the cab.
    Here's a pic of it with the sides on.

The back is left open to protect from carbon monoxide poisoning since the heat comes off the diesel engine and its winter cowling.
    Not as fancy as the modern tractors with their hvac-controlled plexiglass cabins, but my tractor is an old Model 4020 from 1972.

Also note how much taller the tractor is compared to the standard size garage doors.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice. I miss playing with those farm toys. I don't miss dealing with hydraulic leaks and everything else that broke.

So far so good with the blizzard.

15. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
  16. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #16 toggie, Jan 23, 2016
    Snow Blizzard of January 2016 Update: Saturday, 1/23. 8:00 am.
    We have some large snow drifts up around the house.
    The snow in my driveway measures 29 inches deep.
    Town of Leesburg, VA says the official snowfall so far is 12.5 inches.

We're expecting high winds today, 45 mph or more. Current wind is 22 mph.
    Blizzard conditions with another 12 to 18 inches of snow to add to what we already have.

17. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    We are well over 2' out here in Montgomery county with more to come. I've got a crew coming later today to plow the driveway. There's zero possibility of shoveling this much snow.

18. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    We're enjoying this, snuggling, watching TV some, kids are playing well together, laughing at the dog trying to find a place to do her business outside even after I shovel for her, marvelling at the spectacle.

At the same time, I'm taking it a little seriously. Been charging every battery since early yesterday, have lanterns ready, bunch of flashlights, wife has collected up all the candles just in case. And while I'm normally conserving energy this time of year, I've opened the extra vents, including basement, raised the temp some, and strategically placed some radiators, all in an effort to make sure if we have a power outage, we weather it as best possible. Worst I've seen here has been an 8 hour outage, but that was only once. Never know though. All emergency services, utilities and snow removal are going to be responding to the most desperate outages first, so if we have one, could be a while getting it back.

19. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I'm shovelling mine, eventually. Will need to pace myself. Will take hours.

20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Same here in central Virginia. My estimate is 14" although a neighbor said 18". Drifts on the north side of house are 25". It is becoming very windy and unpleasant to go outdoors- let alone try to run the snow blower now. There are some 80-90' pine trees around the house which sometimes come down on the house or people running snow blowers. The forecast here doesn't expect snow or winds to let up until sundown. Just hope the power continues to stay on.

On the other extreme, the wife is spending the month in Siesta Key but things aren't so much greener in Florida either. Earlier in the week, she had to sleep in the closet one night due to the tornadoes occurring there and last night she couldn't get any sleep due to the roar of high winds and the ocean pounding.

Snow is more fun!

21. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Don't over do it.

My driveway is about 75 yards long. No way I could do it alone.

22. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    At this point I am 100% confident that any shoveling is futile for me as well. Maybe flamethrower?

23. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Now there's some good ol' Russian ingenuity. I don't have a flame thrower, but I have lots of fireworks? :D

24. valter

valter F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2008
    Nibiru
    Full Name:
    Vlad
    :) After evaluation of the efficacy based on youtube videos, flamethrower sucks. I love fireworks idea!

25. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    I'm thinking a jet turbine engine would work best.
    About 10 times bigger than the one in this video.
    Mount it on a rolling push-cart.

The hot air blast would blow the snow away and dry the surface. :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-YjVq4Q6w[/ame]