Baltimore & DC tips? | FerrariChat

Baltimore & DC tips?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by dstacy, Mar 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Mrs. and I will be in Baltimore for a night and DC for 2 nights in April. I could use some help with suggestions for the following:
    • A restaurant near the inner harbor in Baltimore for a seafood dinner
    • Tourist attractions or places not to miss in DC
    • A dinner restaurant suggestion in DC near the Grand Hyatt on H street
    I sure appreciate any help/suggestions you might offer.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Be sure to go see the Spy Museum- allow several hours for intrigue.

3. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hi Dave,

In Baltimore, you might want to try the Rusty Scupper (Rusty Scupper). It offers a view of the Inner Harbor and has some great seafood.

In Washington, DC. it really depends on what type of food you're looking for. I like the following:

Founding Farmers (Founding Farmers Restaurant | True Food & Drink)
    Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar (http://cubalibrerestaurant.com)
    Old Ebbit Grill (http://ebbitt.com)

If you happen to be here over a weekend and have a rental car, you should checkout Katie's Cars and Coffee. Held every Saturday morning in Great Falls, VA. Here is their website: (http://katiescarsandcoffee.com).

Good Luck!

Bill P.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Most of the restaurants at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore are chains. Many of my favorites are in Little Italy, Fells Point and Federal Hill. Those areas are very close to the Harbor, but not quite as touristy.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 on Old Ebbitt Grill. If you can, try and get seated at the oyster bar in the back.

There is a place that does great Sunday brunch with a view overlooking the White House/Treasury Building. POV it is called. I forget which hotel it sits atop.

As for tourist attractions, any of the museums on the Mall are worth a visit. I got up early and went to National Archives to see the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. It was a near religious experience to be in the presence of those great documents, and think about the Founding Fathers who crafted and signed them…T

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you Bill, I appreciate it.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Care to name a few Alex?

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oh man! She loves Sunday brunch. I'll score with that one. Thanks.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LaTavola is my favorite.

La Tavola Italian Restaurant, Little Italy, Baltimore

If you want crabs, Bo Brooks is very good. Their website is terrible though.

Bo Brooks Restaurant & Catering | Best Steamed Crabs in Baltimore!

I haven't been to Pazo in a number of years and I believe they have changed chefs since I was there last. However, when i was there the food was very good and the atmosphere of the restaurant was great.

Pazo

A few other ideas..

Joe Squared Pizza. THey have been featured on Diners Drive-Ins & Dives.

Joe Squared

Abbey Burger Bistro

Abbey Burger Bistro: Baltimore - Abbey Burger Bistro: Baltimore

10. Transhuman

Transhuman Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Cloverly
    Full Name:
    Juan
    For seafood near the harbor I'd recommend Ouzo Bay in Harbor East. You could also try Wit & Wisdom at the Four Seasons or Azumi also in Harbor East.

In DC - if you want an experience unlike any other, try to get a reservation at Minibar. Otherwise I'd point you towards Zaytinia, Cuba Libre or Poste. If you like Jazz, a concert at Blues Alley would be a good play.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have heard Wit & Wisdom is good but haven't made it there yet.

12. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    DC food recommendations:

If you're interested in sushi, try Sushi Ogawa at Dupont Circle (traditional omakase experience) or Capitol Sushi (for the Tokyo sushi bar experience). The owner/chef of both joints is a major petrolhead and is one of the few chef's on the east coast who gets his fish flown in from Tokyo's famed Tsukiji fish market.

The best authentic Chinese food this side of Xi'an Famous Foods in Queens is Peter Chang's eponymous Szechuan join in Arlington. Panda Gourmet on NY Ave runs a close second.

If you're interested in molecular gastronomy, Jose Andres' (Ferran Adria's sous chef at the erstwhile El Buli) minibar is a great experience.

If you're in the mood for Thai food, go to Little Serow at Dupont. If you want eat at DC's #1 restaurant, then walk upstairs to Komi for a mind blowing Greek tasting menu. Both are owned by Jeames Beard award winner Johnny Monis.

If you want ramen, go to Marumen in Fairfax Circle, VA.

If you want Vietnamese food, go to Huong Viet in Eden Center at 7 Corners, VA

If you want Laotian food go to Bangkok Golden in 7 Corners, VA.

And finally, if you want some KBBQ, there's always Honey Pig or Kogiya in Annandale.

13. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    My wife and her sisters tried Wit and Wisdom and were far from impressed.

I second your thoughts on Little Italy - easy, safe walk from Inner Harbor area. We like Chiapparelli's as well. Go to Vaccaro's for dessert. All of these are right in the same area.

Remember, you are in Baltimore; stay in the tourist areas and you will be fine. Don't stray too far.

14. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wondered about that.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#15 NbyNW, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  16. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You guys have been very helpful, thank you.
    Can I walk from the Grand Hyatt to Little Italy or is it a cab ride?

17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think walking would be fine. I would. About 15 min. Right in the middle of things. Keep it to a reasonable hour heading back.

18. BillP00

BillP00 Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 23, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Is there a Grand Hyatt in Baltimore? I thought it was just called the Hyatt Regency? The Grand Hyatt is in Washington. If the hotel you're talking about is on Light Street, Little Italy might be a little far. You might want to take a taxi.

If you check Google Maps for Baltimore's Inner Harbor, The Hyatt Regency is on the West side of the harbor. Look on the East side of the harbor and you'll find Eastern Ave. Fawn Street where Sabatino's is on is about 2 streets North of Eastern Ave. Sorry if that's a little confusing.

Bill P.

19. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    From the Hyatt I'd walk to rusty scupper for dinner. Sent a pm about other options.

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No crap, sorry. You're right. We're staying at the Grand in DC. Hyatt Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Sorry for the confusion.

21. Flipjack

Flipjack Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    I wouldn't walk any farther in Baltimore municipality - anywhere- than I had to. And the old "safe havens" have been completely infiltrated and compromised by criminal elements, with the total complicity if not assistance of the municipal "progressive" gov't. Police presence and attentiveness = ZERO!! What you see on TV, its really that bad, everywhere. Maybe not every night in every place but I'm telling you its a gamble.

Baltimore police say violent crash, triple shooting in Fells Point bar unrelated - Baltimore Sun

And that's one not too untypical night last month. Even the "high end" areas like Harbor East, the cops have been told "don't do anything, stand down", and they're already shell shocked and frozen from the Freddie Gray debacle and the mayor's office throwing them under the bus for trying the best they can to police a totally lawless city... it really is that bad. Go there and look around, you'll see. But I digress.

I would recommend Ouzo Bay although pricey and trendy, Pazo very good too = tapas and typically young crowd kinda turns into night club like deal later hours but also very nice building / setting, Cinghiale right near Ouzo Bay also very good but kinda sterilized mass marketed high end Italian fare. Some of the classic old haunts like in Little Italy and The Prime Rib and Tio Pepe's are pretty haggard and super high crime areas. If there was one place I'd recommend, depending on what you like and level of elegance, I'd recommend Samos in Greek town, it's 5-10 min cab ride from harborplace. There are two, not the new casual-dining one on Boston st. but the original one, don't know address but you can find online. Its on ground floor of a rowhouse and the dining room kinda surrounds the open kitchen. If you like fresh seafood that is the place. And all kinds other greek things, fresh lamb etc.. Bring your own alcohol & cash only.... gotta love it.

And then as soon as you get your fill and can get out of bmore and spend your $$ elsewhere do it!! Because the more spent there just prolongs and enables the corrupt government elements that have made that once great city into a crumbled ruin. Sad but true.

22. Senna5194

Senna5194 Karting

Dec 6, 2014
    Bethlehem, PA.
    Full Name:
    John
    Baltimore Seafood: Thames Street Oyster House. (Fell's Point)

I consider it a safe area; accessible by Uber or water taxi from most inner harbor hotels.

OR

You could cower in your hotel room and have room service!

23. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    In baltimore I like Cinghale for Northern Italian food. Has formal and casual part. Its our favorite of the 3 to be mentioned. You'll love it there. Azumi's as another person mention is nice for japanese food. Trendy place. The Charleston consitently ranked as one of the top restaurants is Baltimore is excellent too. All three of these are in East Baltimore. A short Uber ride from the Hyatt. Better yet, the water taxi might be operating, so you could take that across the harbor to these restaurants. In DC area, we love Peking Gourmet (seven corners VA area) has the best Peking Duck in the World. Great chinese food. Have fun

24. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Old Ebbiit Grill in DC two thumbs up. Ambiance, great food and service, reasonable prices and history.

Just about any restaurant in Little Italy in Baltimore, but don't stay out too late or park far away.

Unfortunately, I no longer feel as safe on the streets of Baltimore and I now spend more time and $$$ in Annapolis these days.

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    By the way, just as a follow up, you guys SUCK when it comes to giving restaurant advice! You didn't tell me that Vaccaro's served booze. Had I known it was possible to order a martini and their wonderful chocolate, frangelico, hazelnut, and gelato cake I would have skipped dinner and gone straight there! Good Lord, can it get any better than booze and sugar? :D

Thank you gentlemen for the advice, we had a nice time and had the opportunity to hang out with one of you.