Windshield replacement shop? | FerrariChat

Windshield replacement shop?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by dsm918, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dsm918

dsm918 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Guys, I don't post here much but am a regular at the WC cars and coffee. Happened to crack the windshield this morning in my 2016 M3 on I-476 and it will need to be replaced through insurance. Wanted to get recommendations on shops you trust for this service. I could take it to the Ottos BMW but no way of knowing who they use for windshield repair/replacement. I want the job done right and am looking for recommendations.

Thanks.

Ricky

2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Make sure whomever you use that they install OEM BMW glass, all glass is not the same.

I would use the BMW dealer and that way you more than likely have a warranty on repair from them if things go wrong.

3. dsm918

dsm918 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks. Luckily for me they don't make an aftermarket windshields for this car yet so anyne I go with will have to use OEM. Had to rule out the dealer because GEICO only pays a certain amount for windshield replacement and Otto's is charging a ridiculous $1,785 for replacement. I would need to cover the rest. Am leaning towards Safelite in West Chester as they have a few good references. Looking for recommendations on any other reputable glass shops that someone on here may have used.

Thanks.

4. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Maybe you can talk to the dealer about accepting the payment from Geico. Especially if you bought the car there and have a relationship with them. If the are both using OEM, you would think the dealer would accept the lower payment to keep you happy. I agree, if you had problems, easier to deal with the BMW dealer. Or you should work on Geico. I would want someone that is familiar with the car, especially since its a 2016. How much more could they charge if they are OEM windshields? The labor charge can't be that much. Or if it is the BMW dealer should talk to Geico and explain why the fees are higher.

5. Arjun

Arjun Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Have you tried Bavarian Specialties in King of Prussia? They're the BMW CCA shop for your area.

6. dsm918

dsm918 Rookie

Mar 13, 2014
    Thanks guys. I ended up using a local shop and hands down had the best customer experience ever. To say that I was satisfied with the quality of work would be a huge understatement. These guys blew me away with their professionalism and customer service. Key reason as to why I chose them in the first place over Safelite and the dealer was just how open and transparent the owner was about how he would be doing the work. He totally put my mind at ease and I was completely satisfied with the answers to my numerous OCD questions. Here are some highlights of their amazing customer service and quality of work:

1) He ordered all the required OEM parts from BMW and went by the book (BMW bulletin) as far as replacing parts was concerned.

2) He had me come over and inspect the new windshield side by side with the broken one so I was able to do a comparison and quality check for what was going on my car. All numbers/brand/tinted portion, etc. matched the OEM glass 100% and there was absolutely no doubt in my mind this was the OEM glass.

3) He even provided me a copy of the invoice for parts he had ordered from BMW. <<<< Complete Transparency

4) He informed me that per BMW it was recommended to change the rain sensor so he included that as well as the side trim pieces even though mine were in good shape. This is where I could have saved money had I been paying out of pocket but since I was using my insurance he advised I might as well go with a new rain/light sensor.

5) He returned my trim pieces that came of the car and the rain sensor as well because it was still functional and not damaged.:thumbsup:

6) When performing the work he used blue tape to cover all body parts that meet the windshield (hood, A pillar, CF Roof)

If any of you are anywhere near Philly and happen to need glass work on your car, I would highly recommend this Glass shop. They work on the Mclaren's as well and are used my the Mclaren dealership on Rt. 3. Absolutely amazing work :thumsup:

https://anthonyvolkglass.com/

If I had done this out of pocket, the total cost would have been around $975 and that is mainly due to the cost of the OEM parts which is $800. They only change for 2 hrs labor. The local dealer quoted me $1785 for the same job. Their cost on the parts would have been cheaper so they were charging well over 1k for labor:rolleyes: I went through insurance as my deductible is $500 and this doesn't affect my premium so overall this came out pretty good.

7. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Glad it went well