Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - USA East > Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA) - Sponsored by Competizione

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Marlboro and Newport cigarettes are manufactured in Virginia and North Carolina where prices can be as low as $3.88 a pack. The same pack of cigarettes can sell for as high as $15 in New York City. Virginia police are looking for the drivers trying to double their money
in one round trip via I-95.

May 5, 2017 - Organized crime ring made millions smuggling cigarettes and writing bad checks in Va., police say
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.95d835f37170

"In 2011, federal officials estimated that a U-Haul truck stocked with 200 cases of cigarettes could net a smuggler a profit of $670,000"
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-07-2017, 10:41 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedcoin View Post
When Colorado legalized recreational marijuana, 5 million Californians arrived.
The race to the bottom...

Actually, what's the point? CA has medical marijuana, and the whole thing's a sham. Get your medical card for a few bucks, and puff away. But, I agree that CO has attracted out-of-staters. Many, IMO, unwanted.

That said, look at how CA's economic/tax/regulatory/social policies have driven many to head for greener pastures in places like TX.

CW
Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

I think CostCo's VA business selling carton cigarettes is HUGE!

CW
Old 08-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

On your way out of VIRGINIA, that'll be $31.

495 Express Lanes toll rises over $31 during Thursday's evening rush hour - Story | WTTG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VaExpressLanesHighPrices.jpg (207.5 KB, 182 views)
Old 08-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Dave M.
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.SauberF1Team View Post
But at what cost? I used to live in MD and work in DC (3 years worth). How many times did I ever go into Virginia and spend money? Twice by my count...$15 each time to park at the Dulles Annex Smithsonian National Air and Space museum.

Because of their crazy laws, I had no interest in driving in that place and spending my money. Maryland and DC have enough to offer...

Oh, and for my drives back to FL for holidays, I would make sure to never use a gas station there on either my departing or return trip...I have no interest in supporting their economy.
They are aiming at anyone on their roads, right? So if you're a resident, you're stuck. I'm not saying I agree with tossing a guy in jail for reckless driving if he's 15 over, but if that's the way they want to play, then it's important to know that and mind your manners in Virginia.

I live in Florida, we don't believe anything less than about 30 over is a real problem, at least if the pace on I-75 is any indicator.

And I doubt there's a groundswell of driver sentiment that's causing guys to drive around Virginia. Maybe some, like you, don't stop for gas there, but most folks just watch their behavior or take the risk of a huge ticket.

D
Old 08-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Chas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
They are aiming at anyone on their roads, right? So if you're a resident, you're stuck. I'm not saying I agree with tossing a guy in jail for reckless driving if he's 15 over, but if that's the way they want to play, then it's important to know that and mind your manners in Virginia.

I live in Florida, we don't believe anything less than about 30 over is a real problem, at least if the pace on I-75 is any indicator.

And I doubt there's a groundswell of driver sentiment that's causing guys to drive around Virginia. Maybe some, like you, don't stop for gas there, but most folks just watch their behavior or take the risk of a huge ticket.

D
I'm amazed at what it takes to get pulled over in Florida.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Dave M.
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
I'm amazed at what it takes to get pulled over in Florida.
10 over is just barely gonna keep you from getting killed in the right lane, and on I4, I don't care what speed you're going, someone, usually in a big ol' pickup truck with a lift kit, is going 20+ MPH faster, charging up on your ass in traffic, and then going apoplectic behind you trying to get you out of his way. AND THAT'S IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

D
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Five Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Chas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_n_stuff View Post
10 over is just barely gonna keep you from getting killed in the right lane, and on I4, I don't care what speed you're going, someone, usually in a big ol' pickup truck with a lift kit, is going 20+ MPH faster, charging up on your ass in traffic, and then going apoplectic behind you trying to get you out of his way. AND THAT'S IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

D
this morning I was on a secondary road with a 45 mph speed limit, I was doing 60-slightly faster than flow of traffic. I looked up and saw a cop behind me...got into the right line and waited for the lights to come on. nope, cop just motored on past me.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 08-07-2017, 07:41 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

LOL, yep FL FTW when it comes to registering cars and operating them. They don't care. Just pay the registration...doesn't matter if the car is falling apart or giving off the worst emissions ever lol.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

As we sit here today, what have I been saying for the past 5 years still rings true:

"Buy some Bitcoin and get the hell out of Virginia!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brenda-grubbs-copo-kid-final-7.jpg (61.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

FL is great for registering cars and not paying state income tax, but when I get my property tax and insurance bills every year I remember how badly I need to sell my places there... property tax on a car in VA doesn't seem so bad after the mailman drops off those bills.