Poconos Recommendations | FerrariChat

Poconos Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Texas Forever, Aug 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Long story short, my daughter and SIL have moved to Philly. This means odds are first grandchildren will be in Philly.

Any recommendations for a place in the Poconos for potential grandparents (fingers crossed) who are almost too old to rock and roll, but too young to die? Only mandate for this Florida boy who became a Texan is I gotta have water. Doesn't have to be super big, but I don't want someplace that sounds like the Indy 500 on the weekend.

Thoughts?

2. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Spli Rock Lodge

1985 308 GTS (Grigio/Rosso)
    1995 911 Coupe (Fly Yellow)
    1987 911 Targa (Guards Red)
    1984 M635CSi Euro Spec
    2014 Maserati Ghibli

3. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Sorry... Split Rock Lodge that is.

1985 308 GTS (Grigio/Rosso)
    1995 911 Coupe (Fly Yellow)
    1987 911 Targa (Guards Red)
    1984 M635CSi Euro Spec
    2014 Maserati Ghibli

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Consider the Jersey Shore as an alternative. Water - Check. Places to stay - Check, lots of happy hours - CHECK.

Plenty of towns all up and down the Shore that are quiet, to rowdy and everything in between.

On the other hand, if you have to go to the Poconos, are we talking towns or specific PLACES to stay?

D

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Both and all of the above. The future is uncertain and the end is always near. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Are you opposed to the ocean? I would take a look around Lewes, DE. It's about the same distance to Philly and if much rather live there than in the Poco is. Much more nearby and it's a beach town!

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Why do you like it better than the pokes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

One word.

BUGS.

Insects.

Little flying things that bite.

Of course, my memory of the Poconos is a little dated. Maybe they've used enough DDT to clear the place of the little critters.

ON the upside, the Poconos don't flood much, and the hurricanes don't wash away your house every now and again.

On the downside, come December/January, lots of the Poconos get lots of snow

D

9. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    That's an easy one. Skytop,

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #10 Texas Forever, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Don't forget that a dusting of snow in LSD(lower slower Delaware) and it's a national crisis. Also your have to drive thru the hooker capital of the East coast, New Castle Delaware area. Lastly be prepared to live in a area that in winter time is empty of local residents vs the poconos that has people year round.

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Thanks. If 84 is a dividing line, does that mean land/homes are cheaper north of that line?

14. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Here's another idea. Bernville area just NW of Reading. Thinking about the Blue Marsh Lake area. Nice lake to go fishing and boating. It's roughly 75 miles to center city philly vs 65 from Allentown.
    Philadelphia District Civil Works ? Blue Marsh Lake

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thx

16. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Count me in the Lewes DE camp. You have 3 bodies of water to choice from, all connected to each other. Ocean, Delaware bay(calm), inland water ways(more calm). The town is not on the water, so it's quaint, not tacky. One downside is that weekend summer traffic can be heavy if going on major roads.

17. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    How far distance or time wise are you thinking? What part of philly is your daughter moving to? You said about the poconos but they are 2-3 hours away depending. There are some marinas along I-95 near the airport if that helps in anyways if you were looking to be much closer.

18. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Are you looking to get your investment back eventually?

Would you like access to nice places to eat out?

Good places on the Jersey Shore will do far better on both those counts. Good food in the Poconos is an oxymoron. If you're great cooks then it's not such a big issue. Lots of drugs and lowlifes on the edge live there. Before you purchase there take a tour of the Walmarts late in the evenings ...

If you're willing to pop for a good place you can find nice places on LBI - Jersey Shore.

OTOH, it's very different than being in the woods like you will be in the Poconos which will be somewhat cooler too.

Spend a week there and see what you think. It's far less expensive for a reason ...