2016 Baltimore Fleet Week - Blue Angels | FerrariChat

2016 Baltimore Fleet Week - Blue Angels

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Anyone else plan on attending this weekend? I've seen the Blue Angels a few times and it never gets old so I'd love to check it out. Any suggestions for parking and good airshow view spots? Fort McHenry is supposed to be show-center, but I feel that will get filled early and start turning people away. I rather check out the ships earlier in the day and catch the show from a decent spot instead of spending my entire day at Fort McHenry just to save a really nice view...

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    For anyone that is reading this prior to the weekend show, I found some more info.

Saturday will be busier due to a marathon being run from 6AM to 3PM resulting in a lot of street closures. Fort McHenry viewing is first-come first-serve and once it's filled, they will close it off. Show-center for the air demo is supposed to be Fort McHenry.

The air show is 1-4PM on both Saturday and Sunday and ship tours are 1-6PM.

Saturday is also the day the USS Zumwalt will be commissioned...pretty cool. That ceremony is at 5PM.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    #3 BMW.SauberF1Team, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fantastic show! Statler, thank you so much for the info on the air box! I ended up standing next to the pilot of the #7 Blue Angels as he commented on each maneuver (it was his birthday no less). I was right at show center. :)

Unfortunately I left my telephoto lens in Alabama before coming up to Maryland this month for work so I only had up to 55mm capability...oh well. Still tons of fun. :)

Here are some photos with a photo of the USS Zumwalt an hour prior to commissioning. Big crowds by it...

I really recommend viewing it from Fort McHenry tomorrow for any Fchatters in the area. Show starts at 1PM and if you're there by 11:30, you'll be right up front...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I went yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Ft McHenry was packed...took hours for the traffic to ease up.

LSJ

5. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    We did Ft. Mchenry on Sunday. Parked by Mchenry Row and walked into the park. Threw a blanket out behind the flight control area. Wonderful weather and a great show. Very glad we went. By parking a little father away we were able to drive right onto Key Highway and onto 95.

6. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    We went on Sunday too but had to park behind the BP/7-11 and walk up. We got a nice spot on the lawn near the control area as well.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, traffic and parking looked terrible in the area. We parked at the Hyatt Regency Inner Harbor and walked around the area the weather was perfect. We had some drinks on the walk back and traffic as all gone then. :)

Pretty sure today flying out of BWI I saw a bunch of Navy veterans (WW2 and Korean era) arrive into the DC for their Honor Flight. A row of Navy enlisted lined both sides of one section of the B-terminal and near the walkway one of them rang a bell each time one of the veterans came off the plane. So cool...