McLaren MP4 Spider - FChat Member - Paint Correction, Ceramic and Film! | FerrariChat

McLaren MP4 Spider - FChat Member - Paint Correction, Ceramic and Film!

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Oakes Detail, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oakes Detail

Oakes Detail Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    #1 Oakes Detail, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Driven all the way up from Washington D.C. by FChat member "Robin" to get worked on by Oakes Detail!

His stunning color combo McLaren MP4-12C Spider received a wheels off, paint correction detail. Finished off with Cquartz Finest ceramic coating and Xpel clear film installation. On top of this, we changed the brake caliper color from black to orange, then protected with ceramic coating to make brake dust easy to clean!

The photos are ordered in a start to finish visual journey to show you the transformation of the paint condition before, during and after the correction process. Followed by turn around of the wheels, brake caliper color change, installation of the clear film and the finished glass like results.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Oakes Detail

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
  3. Oakes Detail

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    #4 Oakes Detail, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To end this write up, what better way than a wave good bye after being loaded onto our own custom built enclosed trailer to take this MP4 back to Washington DC to head off on a cross country journey!

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Hell yea! Thanks Nick :D

That reminds me that I'll probably bring it back up in the spring for some touch-ups. 12,000 miles in 2 months while washing it at a bunch of dodgy hand-wash shops and DIY coin-op places beat the crap out of it, but it still looks fantastic! It's amazing with the coating how easily a few thousand bugs come right off with a good blast of water... Couldn't be happier with the work you and your team did.

http://i.imgur.com/bJDiGry.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/0BCl2Og.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/5b8fL0p.jpg

5. Oakes Detail

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    Those pictures are awesome! So cool the car went on that kind of journey, and I'm glad we were able to protect it for you!

6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Beautiful car!! Hope they have a great trip!!

7. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    awesome! it really looks great.

I am still trying to figure out how black calipers became orange though...

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Looks awesome buddy. I'd love to read more about your thoughts over those 12k miles.

9. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Paint! :D

Given that I was in a time crunch I had them painted on the car. It's not the ideal method but they're actually holding up perfectly. When the time comes to have the brakes serviced and they're in pieces on a workbench, I'll have them powder coated.

Thanks man! I wrote up a bunch of stuff on another site, so if you ever get really bored you can read my awful writing and look at my awful photos:

VWVortex.com - 7 Weeks and 7000 Miles in a McLaren, aka the What, Me Worry? Road Trip

Long story short though, the car is amazing. Without a doubt the best car I've ever driven. Even on 10 hour stints I didn't get the usual driver fatigue, aching back, and get-me-outta here feeling I've had with every other car I've owned. Add to that the silky smooth ride, timewarp acceleration, and rock solid carbon fiber chassis (even with the top down) and you have the perfect road trip machine. The only maintenance issue that developed was a common suspension malfunction that makes it ride like a normal car rather than the magic carpet ride you normally get, so not a big deal.

The dealership is in Sterling now, right near FoW... If you're ever out that way I recommend taking one for a drive. It only took me about 20 seconds behind the wheel to realize I had to have one.

10. Ahmed_Z

Ahmed_Z Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2010
    Washington DC area
    Full Name:
    Ahmed
    awesome work!