WC Cars & Coffee | FerrariChat

WC Cars & Coffee

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Pearlcoupeg35, Nov 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pearlcoupeg35

Pearlcoupeg35 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hey Fellas,

Just a heads up --- I got another call from the property managers of the center where we meet for C&C. They asked me to take down the Facebook page I had started 7 years ago. I did. I don't really care that much about a Facebook page and usually just got spammed and messages from kids on there anyways. Just a heads up that they are making some moves to stop C&C from growing any larger and causing trouble for their tenants. Cant say I blame them to be honest....

That all said - I love(d) C&C for many years and consider lots of guys I met there great friends. Should we (the OG's of the event) consider a new location that works for us all and would be a new spot to meet without the riff raff?

Discuss.

Thank you!

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just a thought. In an effort to try and keep it in the same general vicinity. The Concordville shopping Center on Route 1 (Home Depot/Target) has a pretty massive parking lot and a Cosi restaurant that opens at 7am. We could break away from the main C&C and start meeting there.

3. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Not sure if it's far out of the way or maybe too small. But, I could see if my landlords would let us have it at my place in Paoli.

4. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Joe, a good idea. I just worry that once everyone migrates there, the same thing will happen.
    That being said - Dilworthtown is a public place. I guess the problem they have with us may be "loitering". In other words, stopping into Starbucks for a coffee in a fancy car is no problem, but then, hanging out for an hour in the parking lot is the issue.

Now that winter approaches, the huge crowds will be gone, and us regulars can meet and hang inside Starbucks as usual. We may need to revisit the issue in the spring. But I am up for a new location if need be.

5. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Crazy thought...and this may be too much effort also.
    What if it was a private group or by invitation only and the location changed each week?
    You'd have to be "in the know" or know someone that is in order to find out what the location is each week.

6. Oakes Detail

Oakes Detail Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2009
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Oakes Detail
    I fear a little too far out of the way, this discussion was had among some of the original guys and a lot of the crowd that attends comes from south of C&Cs current location. Adding another 10-20 minutes to the drive becomes a bit of an inconvenience. This is the same reason the Villanova attempt didnt really get off the ground as much as we all wanted it to.

It's a mix of this and the "Aggressive" departures and even arrivals. If the stores there had it right, they'd take advantage of the situation and try to cater to such a large crowd and win business as opposed to getting rid of us. Some have caught on to that, the rest seem to just want a reason to complain I assume.

This was also attempted before, in theory it's a fun inviting idea, but the execution is more work than it is worth. It's going to be a tough solution to find an equally convenient and accommodating location but I for one have been open to the change for a while. It's become too busy and an increasing lack of respect for not only the location, but peoples vehicles as well.

7. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

Scott, what makes you suggest that a parking lot and retail strip center owned by a private company is a public place?

8. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #8 swexlin, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Joe, you're correct. I guess what I meant is that it is open to us (the general public) to patronize the stores there, which we (at least I) do. How we get there, by Ferrari or covered wagon, shouldn't matter. I think Nick has it right - it has become too crowded, with too many close calls (hence why I don't even bring the car as often). I come to see my regular friends, have a coffee and/or bagel at Starbucks, and chit chat.

I also have eaten at Saladalley, bought my current phone at the (now defunct) ATT store, and also sometimes shop at the wine store, and the Giant, in addition to eating at the new 50s café. I know some may not, as they are not local like me.

9. Joe Mac

Joe Mac Formula 3

scott, in the end, the retailers will lose because of this short-sighted approach. With all of the internet-based alternatives to shopping center retail, you would think the retailers would have seized an opportunity to sell their wares on the sidewalks....

10. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    We should consider another location, at least be prepared. If we do have to move, I would prefer somewhere along that RT1/202 area too as I'm one of the ones that comes from the south. Has anyone checked out the new Starbucks that opened where the Wegman's is? The previous GM of our Starbucks is there now and I'm wondering if that parking lot is big enough to accommodate the OG's?

That said, one of the attendee's who has been in contact with Julia the current Starbucks manager briefed me on what she had been told. The police officers who have stopped in have told Julia that they have observed that the majority of the attendee's are not doing anything illegal and have Starbucks cups and or bags...making us customers of the shopping center.

11. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Might not be a permitted use in the township.

But if it is, and they are choosing to ***** instead of sell, well, shame on them.

If their regulars are complaining, that's a different story.

I always wondered how long they'd put up with it, to me, seems that it's lasted a good long time. Maybe shop it around in the area, find another location that's more welcoming?

D

12. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'd like to cast a vote for keeping it as close to the Delaware River as possible, to allow good access to Route 95 (for people coming from Pennsylvania/Delaware/Maryland) and Route 295 (to attract more people from New Jersey).

I've recently tried a C&C in Mount Laurel which attracts somewhere near 100 cars, near the intersection of Route 295/NJ Turnpike and Route 73. Too many American cars, though! But it's success raises the question....would there be any support for having our C&C on the NJ side near the Commodore Barry Bridge?

13. Pearlcoupeg35

Pearlcoupeg35 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2007
    Chester County, PA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All good ideas .....although with an 8 month old baby in the house I haven't been to C&C much at all lately so whatever you guys decide is all good with me.

As for the current location - yes its a private company that owns and operates the center (and many others) with the best interests of their tenants in mind. Apparently the lack of parking for "normal" clients was becoming an issue along with traffic (cars cant pass through with 100 people standing about) and also engine revving, loud exhausts, stereos etc. I totally get it and if I was operating a center I wouldn't have even waited this long to take a stand.

That said - I agree w Joe Mac in that this is a bit shortsighted but at the end of the day don't really care all that much hahahahaha

Hope you guys all have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

14. Britzky9

Britzky9 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2010
    Phila region
    Bummer.

Although I haven't been up there in years, the BCX guys have a mailing list and a schedule...and seem to have a pretty good relationship with the location management.

15. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
  16. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Today was tough, I drove in, no parking, way too crowded. So I just took a nice drive.

17. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    There is a shopping center near Longwood gardens. On route 1 . 20 mins south of current c and c. Stand alone Starbucks. Safefresh grocery store moved out and so there is a huge unused parking area. Several eating places in the center but they don't open until noon. The only thing open at 8 am is Starbucks. Wawa gas station near by and much closer to terrific Chester county roads. My feedback

18. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That might be perfect

19. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I know the spot Jon is talking about, pretty convenient for all. Good idea Jon!

20. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #20 VGM911, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Well, maybe not convenient for all....I'm driving 50 miles to C&C, and Longwood Gardens is even further. Whew!

I know, I know....it can't be a perfect location for everyone. I'd still come, but maybe not as often. :(

21. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I hear ya Jerry. Convenient for many, let me re-phrase.

22. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    They are also owned and operated by the same company as our current location...and as Jerry said, further away. Maybe we should just go to Wegman's? :D

23. swisman

swisman Rookie

Feb 19, 2013
    Unionville, Pa
    Full Name:
    Scott Wisman
    Now that winter is here & the number of attendees is starting to drop...hopefully we should be Ok until spring. However, as others have mentioned, there are several large suitable parking lots at other shopping centers within 10-15 min. of the current location. Always good to have a back-up plan if we eventually have to move.

A question...has the management of the shopping center ever specifically said they would like us to leave or are they just trying to keep the size reasonable for the location?

If it's the latter...then things like taking down any facebook or social media websites that promote WC C&C makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, the word is out on our Saturday morning event ...I think there is little that we can do to limit the size...victim of our own success. The police officers that I have met that occasionally cruise thru C&C don't seem to have any issues...unless you do stupid stuff when arriving or leaving. They like cool cars too.

24. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I spoke with the manager of Starbucks and she said she spoke with the property management company and with the police and we are welcome to stay at the current location.
    As she said "we love cars & coffee and all is good"

25. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    Good question, I have heard that they would like us to leave, but that is hearsay. I have never spoken directly to an agent or representative of the management company, but rather it's always been "one of the guys who has spoken to the rep" was told they wanted us to leave. Jon W is the only person I know who has heard directly from the management company and that was a request to take down the Facebook page that he had started in 2007. There are now probably numerous other social media sites that have coverage of our C&C.

Yes, the report from the police was apparently that the majority of the people they observed walking around had cups and or bags from Starbucks and were not causing any trouble...we are customers of a store in the shopping center. For anyone that doesn't know the full story...that, "our" Starbucks was originally slated to be closed due to underperformance in 2008. With C&C we doubled their Saturday sales and brought up their numbers enough to get them off the closure list. I am sure their Saturday revenue like our attendance has at least tripled from those 2007/2008 numbers by now..this is why Julia and her predecessor love C&C and will fight to keep us there.