LOOKING FOR NEUROSEURGON ADVICE..ANYONE? | FerrariChat

LOOKING FOR NEUROSEURGON ADVICE..ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by autowerks9, Dec 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Wife is facing front and back cervical spinal surgery. Her loss of mobility and stability has progressed at fair rate over the last 3 months. Current surgeon is recommending a pretty invasive correction. We are limited by the availability of someone to perform the procedure given the timing and schedules. To be honest we do have the procedure scheduled for early January but now we are faced with some issues with the surgeon.

I would be interested to see if someone could help with a possible second opinion. We have the MRI and Report in hand. Or, possibly someone connected with the Jefferson/Abington Neurosurgery or upper echelon to help make this happen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

2. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Wow Dave, Im so sorry to hear this. I dont know any Neurosurgeons but im sending positive thoughts your way.
    Jon in Delaware

3. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Thanks John...its been a rough year hear on may fronts...so far 2017 is not shaping up too well either !

D.

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  5. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's unfortunate that Dr. Simeone has retired, but I would suggest the folks in his practice at Penn Medicine would be a good place to start. Dr. Simeone fixed a couple of my friends that no one else would touch, and I mean really FIXED them, and they had scary spinal issues.

I have a fleeting memory of Dr. Bill Welch there, and he seems well respected. I think, but am not 100% sure, that my wife went to see him for an issue she was having some years ago and we resolved it without surgery, but it was not a spinal issue.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/providers/profile/william-welch?fadf=pennmedicine

William C. Welch, MD, FACS, FICS Surgeon
    Chair, Department of Neurosurgery at Pennsylvania Hospital
    Vice Chair, Department of Neurosurgery
    Professor of Neurosurgery
    Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery

Named to the 2013 Philadelphia Super Doctors list
    Recognized annually in Philadelphia Magazine's Top Docs issue, 2010-2013, and 2015-2016
    Recognized by America's Top Doctors 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012-14
    Recognized by Best Doctors in America 2007-2008, 2009-2010, 2011-2012

800-789-7366

I do know Penn does a great job with this stuff. Best of luck.

Dave M

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sorry to hear about your wife's spinal problems. My wife went thru the same thing a couple of years ago and did a lot of research into surgeons providing treatment. Not knowing your wife's exact condition and how far you are willing to travel for opinion/treatment, here are 4 thoughts:

(1) From personal experience with other specialities, Johns Hopkins is known for excellent surgeons and is probably within reasonable proximity to you outside PA. You may want to research them. They also have a private facility within the complex in Baltimore known as the Marburg Center where VIPs from all over the world come for medical treatment and is like a luxury hotel if you want to pamper your wife some. It's extra cost and many of the patients have body guards stationed outside their rooms. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

(2) In Northern Virginia (Fairfax), my wife got a second opinion from Dr. Christopher P. Silveri. In our case, he didn't feel that surgery would be beneficial. He can be a bit abrupt but is considered a hot-shot surgeon; his partner excels in the bedside manner.

(3) The University of Virginia in Charlottsville has a renounced Spine Center but the Doctor we saw is no longer there. This was for a 3rd opinion which also recommended against surgery at the time.

(4) The problem with spine surgery is that there is no guarantee. Some persons experience later problems as loads are shifted to other areas of the spine. Most surgeons work on a 4-6 week booking lead time, so mid-January is probably the earliest surgery could be scheduled, although you might get lucky and get an office visit appointment during the holidays.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your quest.

7. Goosebug

Goosebug Rookie

Jan 11, 2015
    California
    PM me. I'm a neurosurgeon in So Cal. Happy to render an opinion or simply advise. Either way, sorry to hear and best of luck to her.

8. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dave, sorry to hear this. Hoping your wife regains her health and strength in the coming year.

9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
  10. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    My former Significant Other had $140K surgery for scoliosis at Johns Hopkins in 1999. This involved large incisions down the spine and across the pelvis, fusing discs, and inserting steel rods to correct a curvature of the spine. This was a MAJOR procedure, something like 12 hours in the OR. The surgeon that did the work is retired, but I was very impressed with everyone I met and spoke with at Hopkins Neurosurgery, and the procedure was totally successful.

We did have initial problems with the quality of care after surgery when my SO was in a standard private room. I found this very surprising, as my SO had a pretty high level position in nursing administration at Hopkins at the time. I was thinking that, if this was happening to someone on staff, how the heck would some ordinary moax make out?

The solution was the Marburg Pavilion, as poster energy88 has already suggested. Absolutely give Marburg serious consideration if you do go with Hopkins. Care was first rate and immediately attentive to every issue. The food was so good, I used to adjust my visiting times so I could have dinner there. My SO's health insurance picked up the cost of a standard private room, so we were on the hook for the difference between that and a room at Marburg. That turned out to be surprisingly reasonable, at least in 1999.

Best of luck!

11. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Thank you to everyone for their input, recommendations and well wishes. We have a second consult set up fro early this week. We are keeping the original surgery date in case the conclusion/process is the same. In the mean time we have worked out some of the original issues with the Neurosurgeon and facilities.

The larger road ahead is the recovery and hopefully restoration of her abilities.

Graciously,

David

12. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    David,
    Sorry to hear of your wife's cervical spine issues. Unfortunately,
    I personally went through a similar ordeal a few years back. You are not that far from NY where the Hospital For Special Surgery is located. It is the number 1 ranked hospital in the country for orthopedic surgery. I had my multilevel cervical spine surgery done there and if your plans fall through I would highly recommend that you look into getting an opinion there. Best of luck to you and your wife.

13. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I used Dr. Bitan at Lenox Hill in NYC. He's the head of spinal surgery at that hospital. My surgery was in 2005 and I still play baseball and golf at the age of 57. I've sent many friends to him through the years and they were all thrilled. Best of luck.

14. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    David,

Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. Although I don't have any specific doctor recommendations, I was recently introduced to a company (Grand Rounds - Improving Healthcare and Outcome for Patients | Grand Rounds) that focuses on getting patients in touch with highly acclaimed doctors for second opinions as well as diagnostic confirmation.

In full disclosure: I have no experience or direct relationship with this company, other than having had an intro to the team as part of the business development for my business (I own a data science consulting business). I was, however, impressed by their team and their mission.

Hopefully this can be of some help! Best of luck!

Ruben

15. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al