Shell Gas Stations | FerrariChat

Shell Gas Stations

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Ferris Bueller, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I am a fanatic with my cars and since I bought them I have used nothing but Shell fuel in them.
    I am sure the previous owners were not as anal as me and used any local gas station but with me always Shell. It’s what Ferrari uses and so I do too.
    Recently over the past year or so the Shell stations in my area were getting run down, dirty and lighting and signage dim and not up to par. Now I am seeing all the Shell stations being bought out by a company called Amera?
    Anyone else in the Mid Atlantic region noticing this too or is it just in NJ.
    Concerned where to fuel up now.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't know about NJ, but any of the majors should be good. Most subscribe to the Top Tier gasoline program which is essentially a marketing organization. Quality control and detergents are better which accounts for slightly higher cost. You generally get what you pay for in the long run. Chevron and Exxon come to mind as alternatives to Shell if it becomes unavailable. An occasional tank of gasoline from an independent brand will not likely hurt the car if it is run thru quickly and infrequently.

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

3. swexlin

swexlin Formula 3

Dec 3, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dom, I have used Sunoco fuel all my life, and my parents did in the 60s and 70s. Both gas and diesel, I have NEVER (knock wood!) had a bad batch of fuel, and never a fuel issue in any car or truck I've owned. Even sitting for weeks at a time when the car is in the garage (as it is now). Hope I didn't jinx myself......

I will use Sunoco even if a little more expensive, which often it isn't - I have two near me which are always competitive.

4. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #4 VGM911, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

+1

From what I've read over the years, there are clear differences in gasoline brands that impact engine performance and their fuel delivery systems (by the use of detergents and other additives). As a consumer of this product who is unable myself to measure/verify its performance as the lifeblood of our engines and who wants to take advantage of (and preserve) the capabilities of the cars that I own, I've decided to use the gasoline brands that are in the Top Tier category.

My cars call for premium grade gasoline (93 octane), so I don't skimp to save a few pennies by buying a lesser grade. If you buy an expensive, performance-oriented car, why squeeze pennies by using sub-par gasoline? That has never made any sense to me.

The moral of this story (for me) is to use a Top Tier product of the proper octane rating.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/08/autos/aaa-cheap-gasoline/index.html

5. TonyK

TonyK Karting

Mar 7, 2011
    I've stuck to the top tier brands as well for my cars. That said, I use WAWA out of cost and convenience for the company cars.

6. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Dom, I too like you have been using Shell and my usual location on Rt 38/Marter has changed to Amera. I spoke to the attendants and am being told that its still the same Shell gas underneath but under new brand name so can compete at lower prices with Wawa & Costco across the street. I've been using it on my F-cars and Conti GT and have noticed no difference.

J

7. AlanRS

AlanRS Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2009
    DE
    I've always tried to use Shell in my high performance cars as well. Sometimes, when far from home, it's just not possible. The two Shell stations near me in Delaware have remained consistent in upkeep-even with increased competition from Wawa and Costco.

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I'd rather use other name brand with lots of traffic than decrepit shell where they don't go through as much gas and it sits. I'll drive past our local (failing) shell for a royal farms due to size of station, turnover of gas, and the testing I've seen royal farms do for their tanks every week. (I'm sure other big stations do this too, but I happened to get to see the paperwork from our local royal farms because of a legal thing). No water beats what Ferrari uses for me.

9. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    i buy shell also for the reasons noted in the thread. But i also look for hold old the gas statin is and how busy they are. The few Shell's I tend to go to are fairly new. Just makes me feel better. I bring all m other cars to Sam's club. Its fairly new and they turnover their gas so quickly...Cheap too!

10. Richard C2S

Richard C2S Rookie

Apr 22, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Very interesting that Sunoco isn't on the Top Tier list.

11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably a business decision since membership costs money.

Sunoco sold off all their refineries about 5+ years ago and is no longer engaged in their own refining of crude oil. However, the Sunoco trade name still lingers today and is used by independent gasoline marketers. The same situation applies to Gulf. Gulf is no longer owned by Chevron but by an independent gasoline marketing firm trying to capitalize on the historic trade name.