Maryland Registration Question | FerrariChat

Maryland Registration Question

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by wahoowa, Jun 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hopefully someone can set me straight regarding a vehicle sale in MD.

I am selling my 4WD, the vehicle is titled and tagged in NC but is parked at our residence in MD (Anne Arundel County).

So, the assumption is that the owner will be MD.

If I am able to sell the truck and and the buyer is MD, they will have to get a MD state inspection before the car can be registered in MD, I get that. I know the ideal scenario is to have the car inspected in MD and sell with that inspection certificate but logistics are challenging (I'm in NC and the 4WD in MD).

Can I sell the vehicle without a MD inspection?
    What if the vehicle does not pass the MD test after the sale?

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It is up to the buyer to have the MD state inspection in order to register the vehicle. It can be bought and titled, even if not registered. The buyer can purchase the car, and get 30 day temp tags to use while going through the inspection/registration process.

It is up to you and the buyer how to handle anything found in the inspection. Easiest way on your end is to sell it as is. Anything that is found is up to the buyer that way.

3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Just a word of advice. NEVER let anyone but close friends drive your car. and maybe not even then. If the buyer wants a test drive you drive. let some numb nuts drive your car and they injure someone you will be responsible for everything. Sorry but it is the world we live in now

4. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks, Alex and Fred, much appreciate the feed back. I've just seen so many car sale postings where the sellers specifically calls out "no MD buyers" I always thought there was more to it - I suppose if one sells a lot of cars the probability increases that the "as is" buyer does "revolt" if there is an issue w passing the inspection.

Certainly understand the concern w having a potential buyer drive ones car - I'd be more concerned with a higher performing vehicle. We're talking about an old LandCruiser (LX variant) pretty benign on road vehicle :eek:

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Interesting...I have never seen that in an ad before. If you run across that, can you post an example?

If the buyer does push back on the inspection, you could have them give a deposit and have the final sale be contingent on it passing inspection. Or...if you really don't want to deal with it, take it to Carmax and be done. They tend to give pretty fair offers.

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Maybe it is just me, but there is no way I would buy a car without driving it myself. If a seller refused to let me test drive...i would run away and find a different car.

As long as the driver has a valid license and insurance, why would you be liable if something happened while they drove?

7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Wholesellers in Maryland are not allowed to sell to retail customers in Maryland. That's why you've seen ads which prohibit instate buyers.

8. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Mostly been ebay ads I recall when selling one of our kids cars a few years ago when we moved to MD from VA - her car wouldn't pass MD (excessive steering rack play) but was within specs from BMW??? We ended up donating the car ('85 325e).

Car Max probably isn't an option for an 18 year old (while immaculate body) LX470 w 170k miles :eek:

9. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That makes sense - but doesn't apply to private party, correct?

While I have you - thanks so much for the lead (posted in silver) on bestusedtires.com - amazing selection/service. Just bought 4 Michelins for my wifes car - saved over $1200! And the tires are virtually new.

10. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    #10 355dreamer, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It certainly wouldn't apply to private parties, but many wholesalers will pick up a car at Mannheim or via dealer trade and try to maximize profits to out of state buyers.

You shouldn't have too much trouble selling your fjz80 if it's clean. A 200k mile Toyota variant just sold on BaT for around 13k IIRC.

I have the same truck which I recently built up a bit. Thinking of putting mine for sale as well.

Glad to hear the tire lead panned out. :)

Luke
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 355dreamer

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Just noticed yours is a 470 and not a 450. The market on those is a little smaller, but you still shouldn't have any trouble.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Carmax will pretty much buy anything. Only takes about 15min to get an offer from them so it might be worth it to see what they are willing to do.

I sold my last Mazdaspeed 3 to Carmax after I got tired of dealing with *******s on Craigslist. Their offer wasn't much below what I was looking to get private party.

13. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #13 wahoowa, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ahh..so miss my 80 (and my 62 and my 40). Assume you are on iH8Mud - you'll get a premium for that solid axle 80 series. This 100 is pristine, body wise - however, it lives on the beach....undercarriage is a disaster :( And..the compelling issue - doesn't "accept" the child seat clips our DIL insists be used with car seats our grand kids are to be seated in :eek:

Will definitely check them out - but a total PITA to get to from where I am
    Image Unavailable, Please Login