Shipping my Maserati Gransport from Boston to Dubai...advice plz | FerrariChat

Shipping my Maserati Gransport from Boston to Dubai...advice plz

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by jpmondalek, Jul 21, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    I am leaving the US on August 2nd and would like to ship my Maserati Gransport to Dubai.

Anybody here have experience shipping cars from the US to the Middle East?

There seems to be an equal amount of pros / cons for both the container method and roll-on/off method.

I'd really appreciate your feedback and any recommendations on shippers or tips in general re: customs, etc.

Thanks!

JP

2. abunawafff

abunawafff Karting

Jul 11, 2006
    i would send it in a container, to be on the safe side... its not that expensive.. just call up a few shiping companies for quotes and times... thats it... with out container the car could be vandalized.. stuff like emblems side mirrors and general out side of the car stuff..

3. Skyler

Skyler Formula 3

May 31, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Skyler
    +1

Our company does lashing/securing for a lot of cars leaving Dubai. Always, (always) in a closed container. It should fit snug inside a 20 footer.
    Too many things to worry about if the body is exposed. Make sure the lashing company know's what they are doing!

Good luck.

4. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    +2 ..... without a doubt... Closed Container is the only way to go.

Mike in Kuwait

5. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    #5 jpmondalek, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Hiper

Hiper Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    Home
    Try Demetrios shipping in Medford. I've shipped 3-4 cars from Boston to the Gulf in the past, and they were great. Speak to Evans (the owner) or Mustafa. Closed container is a must for ANY car. It's much safer. Their website is www.intlshipping.com.

i'm not affiliated with them, i've just used their services a few times.

BTW, nice car!

7. abunawafff

abunawafff Karting

Jul 11, 2006
    soo did this car ever get there? and how was it? wee need some folow up, please....loool

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +3

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    excellent choice...and nice pics too!

10. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I shipped a Hummer H2 to Dubai in 2007. I shipped it roll off. I had no problem what so ever. It was a very easy process. I just paid the taxes there I think it was around 5000 Dirhams which is around $1500. I used my hummer there for two months with my American plates with out to much trouble. Just got pulled over alot and asked for my customs papers.

The only problem is insurance. They only sell it for a one year period and you can only get liability insurance on a foreign plate car (I paid $1500 for the insurance). But if you drive to the border with Oman (less then 2 hour drive) you can buy it per day which is very cheap.

If you go to the port office they will tell you everything you need to do.

11. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    Hey guys! Thanks for checking in.

I am in London now (long story), but my car should be arriving in Dubai any day now.

I will give you a status report as soon as it gets collected from the port.

Fyi, I already paid for insurance (car will be registered in Dubai) for ~Dhs 9000 ($2,450), which is ~$205 per month...not bad...but not $110, which is what I paid in Boston for having a clean record.

12. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    #12 jpmondalek, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, the car made it to Dubai and cleared customs yesterday. She's now sitting at home.

Couple of things. My experience was not smooth at all and I will not do business with the freight forwarder I used. First of all, the car was loaded in a shared container, despite discussing from day 1 a dedicated container. I only found this out from the receiving agent in Jebel Ali!...talk about being ethically challenged. Second, I had to make calls throughout the last two months to ensure the shipping company had all the docs they needed and got paid! (my car was on hold at the port in Jebel Ali at one point because of this)...I've never had to chase down a service provider to make sure they did their job in my life...these guys were complete jokers.

http://www.importautoworldnj.com/AUTOTRANSPORTALL48STATES.aspx

The good news is the car appears to be undamaged, but I'm told that during shipping the windows are not allowed to be completely closed (is that true?) and as a result the interior is dusty...but that can be taken care of.

Next time I'll check these forums first before picking a shipper blindly...

On a side note, these just got made for me and I will install them in December when I am back in town. They are replicas of the ones on the MC Victory edition car (longer top and bottom than stock paddles).

If you are interested, contact

Brian Coffing
    Valence USA
    434-977-7951
    www.valenceusa.com

Best,

JP
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bronzage

Bronzage Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    West Africa
    Full Name:
    MJ
    What a sweet car!!! We need more pics.

14. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
  15. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    MJ, you in Beirut by any chance? I'm here till the end of the month.

I love your Brunito 612!!!

Best,

JP

16. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    JP,

You got PM from me.
    I have three buddies in Dubai if you need a few friends to hang out with and "introduce" you to the country.

Thanks,

17. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    I am shipping a couple of cars to Dubai in July. they are lhd so no worries there. however i was told that they have to be 5 years old max otherwise they won't be registered!! my cars are 2003 and 1997. is this true? anyone heared of this?

18. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    I don't know about Dubai, but they recently instituted a similar rule in Kuwait. I think it's 7 years here.

Having said that, there are always ways around it. You just have to find the right company in Dubai to make it happen.

Mike

19. jpmondalek

jpmondalek Rookie

Mar 27, 2009
    I just helped a friend import a 2006 Gransport MCV from Kansas to Dubai; that is a 6 year old car. I also know someone who recently imported a 2001 Z8...so I think you get the picture.

Good luck and share pics!

20. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Not implemented yet iirc.