Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Regional Areas - International > Middle East

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Shipping my Maserati Gransport from Boston to Dubai...advice plz

I am leaving the US on August 2nd and would like to ship my Maserati Gransport to Dubai.

Anybody here have experience shipping cars from the US to the Middle East?

There seems to be an equal amount of pros / cons for both the container method and roll-on/off method.

I'd really appreciate your feedback and any recommendations on shippers or tips in general re: customs, etc.

Thanks!

JP
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

i would send it in a container, to be on the safe side... its not that expensive.. just call up a few shiping companies for quotes and times... thats it... with out container the car could be vandalized.. stuff like emblems side mirrors and general out side of the car stuff..
Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Skyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by abunawafff View Post
i would send it in a container, to be on the safe side... its not that expensive.. just call up a few shiping companies for quotes and times... thats it... with out container the car could be vandalized.. stuff like emblems side mirrors and general out side of the car stuff..
+1

Our company does lashing/securing for a lot of cars leaving Dubai. Always, (always) in a closed container. It should fit snug inside a 20 footer.
Too many things to worry about if the body is exposed. Make sure the lashing company know's what they are doing!

Good luck.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 AM
F1 World Champ
Global Moderator

Full Name: Mike Seals
My Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
+1

Our company does lashing/securing for a lot of cars leaving Dubai. Always, (always) in a closed container. It should fit snug inside a 20 footer.
Too many things to worry about if the body is exposed. Make sure the lashing company know's what they are doing!

Good luck.
+2 ..... without a doubt... Closed Container is the only way to go.

Mike in Kuwait
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Closed container it is!

Here she is...

Thanks for your comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maserati Day 1 009.jpg (83.3 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1854.jpg (53.5 KB, 783 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2165.jpg (81.7 KB, 785 views)
Old 07-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Try Demetrios shipping in Medford. I've shipped 3-4 cars from Boston to the Gulf in the past, and they were great. Speak to Evans (the owner) or Mustafa. Closed container is a must for ANY car. It's much safer. Their website is www.intlshipping.com.

i'm not affiliated with them, i've just used their services a few times.

BTW, nice car!
Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

soo did this car ever get there? and how was it? wee need some folow up, please....loool
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Quote:
+3
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmondalek View Post
Closed container it is!

Here she is...

Thanks for your comments!
excellent choice...and nice pics too!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Sam
I shipped a Hummer H2 to Dubai in 2007. I shipped it roll off. I had no problem what so ever. It was a very easy process. I just paid the taxes there I think it was around 5000 Dirhams which is around $1500. I used my hummer there for two months with my American plates with out to much trouble. Just got pulled over alot and asked for my customs papers.

The only problem is insurance. They only sell it for a one year period and you can only get liability insurance on a foreign plate car (I paid $1500 for the insurance). But if you drive to the border with Oman (less then 2 hour drive) you can buy it per day which is very cheap.

If you go to the port office they will tell you everything you need to do.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Hey guys! Thanks for checking in.

I am in London now (long story), but my car should be arriving in Dubai any day now.

I will give you a status report as soon as it gets collected from the port.

Fyi, I already paid for insurance (car will be registered in Dubai) for ~Dhs 9000 ($2,450), which is ~$205 per month...not bad...but not $110, which is what I paid in Boston for having a clean record.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Car is at home

Quote:
soo did this car ever get there? and how was it? wee need some folow up, please....loool
So, the car made it to Dubai and cleared customs yesterday. She's now sitting at home.

Couple of things. My experience was not smooth at all and I will not do business with the freight forwarder I used. First of all, the car was loaded in a shared container, despite discussing from day 1 a dedicated container. I only found this out from the receiving agent in Jebel Ali!...talk about being ethically challenged. Second, I had to make calls throughout the last two months to ensure the shipping company had all the docs they needed and got paid! (my car was on hold at the port in Jebel Ali at one point because of this)...I've never had to chase down a service provider to make sure they did their job in my life...these guys were complete jokers.

http://www.importautoworldnj.com/AUT...L48STATES.aspx

The good news is the car appears to be undamaged, but I'm told that during shipping the windows are not allowed to be completely closed (is that true?) and as a result the interior is dusty...but that can be taken care of.

Next time I'll check these forums first before picking a shipper blindly...

On a side note, these just got made for me and I will install them in December when I am back in town. They are replicas of the ones on the MC Victory edition car (longer top and bottom than stock paddles).

If you are interested, contact

Brian Coffing
Valence USA
434-977-7951
www.valenceusa.com

Best,

JP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08295.JPG (127.4 KB, 612 views)
Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Manssour J
What a sweet car!!! We need more pics.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzage View Post
What a sweet car!!! We need more pics.
Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jpmond...eat=directlink

Video of aftermarket de-cat upgrade (Fabspeed):

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jpmond...eat=directlink

Enjoy!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

MJ, you in Beirut by any chance? I'm here till the end of the month.

I love your Brunito 612!!!

Best,

JP
Old 03-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Uzy Malik
JP,

You got PM from me.
I have three buddies in Dubai if you need a few friends to hang out with and "introduce" you to the country.

Thanks,
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Smile shipping car from London

I am shipping a couple of cars to Dubai in July. they are lhd so no worries there. however i was told that they have to be 5 years old max otherwise they won't be registered!! my cars are 2003 and 1997. is this true? anyone heared of this?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
F1 World Champ
Global Moderator

Full Name: Mike Seals
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbaroom View Post
I am shipping a couple of cars to Dubai in July. they are lhd so no worries there. however i was told that they have to be 5 years old max otherwise they won't be registered!! my cars are 2003 and 1997. is this true? anyone heared of this?
I don't know about Dubai, but they recently instituted a similar rule in Kuwait. I think it's 7 years here.

Having said that, there are always ways around it. You just have to find the right company in Dubai to make it happen.

Mike
Old 05-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
I just helped a friend import a 2006 Gransport MCV from Kansas to Dubai; that is a 6 year old car. I also know someone who recently imported a 2001 Z8...so I think you get the picture.

Good luck and share pics!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Formula 3

Full Name: Michal
Quote:
Not implemented yet iirc.