Joplin Mo. | FerrariChat

Joplin Mo.

Discussion in 'Midwest - USA (NE, KS, OK, MO, AR)' started by countlamb, Oct 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    I guy that works for me his car about the weeks ago on the way to work started over heating but then it would cool back down and be alright. Well I told him to check the water level first and if it was fine it could be a thermostat. So he decide to take it to a shop in
    Joplin on East 20 street called Sharps Import. They said it was the water pump so he said go
    ahead and fix it. So then the shop calls him the next day and said we need to put a timing belt and thermostat in so he said ok. So he gets his car back drives it less then 100 miles and the motor blows. He calls the shop and they said they will come and get the car and see what happened. They call him back the next day and said he has a hole where the rod went threw his block and he said why did this happen and they said his oil pump went out.
    So now he needs a motor and the shop said they found one and will put it in. Now today they called him and said they havent got the motor put in yet because they said we found out why your motor blow. Someone before you put a ceramic clutch in so we order a new clutch and flywheel and havent got the parts in yet. He said just put my old clutch in and I will replace later when I have the money and the guy hung up on him. To me it sounds like the place is giving him the run around.

2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    #2 slm, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Randy, I don't know anything about this shop, but have seen a few old Porsche's there. I would give Vince Hill @ Hill Automotive (417-659-8886) a call and get the car to him. Vince is a great guy and honest as the day is long. He is the only person I let work on my cars. And, vince does not charge nearly enough for the work he does!

3. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    Steve
    Thank you and I will pass on the info.

Randy

4. deon.smith

deon.smith Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2009
    Oklahoma
    #4 deon.smith, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I will absolutely vouch for Vince. I just saw the charge for my brake job pass thru my Credit Card today and intend to ask Vince to add $150 to the bill. (Very uncommon for us to ask a shop to charge us more.).

Vince is now my Lamborghini mechanic till we add the 360/430 to the fleet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    My guy here at work said that Vince sounds like the kind of mechanic he wants. The place where his car is charged him $1200 just to change motors out and to me that sounds high.

6. v tach

v tach Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 14, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    What kind of car is it?

7. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    Its just a VW GTI but I dont think they are doing him right. They said two days to have the motor installed and now its been over a week and he still hasnt got the car back.

8. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz
    Well my friend got his car back today and before he got out of Joplin the temp light came on. So he pulled over and had to add antifreeze to it but it seems to be alright now.
    The only thing now is his boost gauge doesnt work but hes not sure if he will take it back to have them look at it. So said and done it cost him $3600.00

9. Hills-Performance

Sep 1, 2009
    Joplin, MO
    Full Name:
    Vince & Lauren Hill
    Ahh quit it, you guys are making me blush, haha! I appreciate all of your comments!
    I enjoy working on them and that is the sole reason why I charge what I do and I am pleased to say that I have had nothing but happy customers!

Countlamb- tell your friend to bring it by the shop and we will take a look at it, if he would like.

Thanks,
    Vince Hill
    (Owner/Operator)

Hill's Automotive & Performance
    2420 E. 7th
    Joplin, MO 64801
    417-659-8886

10. countlamb

countlamb Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Cherryvale Kansas
    Full Name:
    Randy Raetz

I sure will Vince. All I hear from Deon and Steve are really good things about you.
    Thanks

Randy