Mondial t or mondial 3.2 | FerrariChat

Mondial t or mondial 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by altaman, Apr 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    hey guys for those who have helped the 328/348 guy could you give me some low down on the mondial t vs the mondial 3.2 I have read all the books and mags but i prefer to here it from the owners and drivers. I am ready to buy a ferrari but i am stuck in mondial pergatory. biggest question. is the torque on the t worth the extra 15-20k

2. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yes, having lived with both.

3. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    "mondial pergatory" is going to get you some negative responses here for sure, the mondial guys love their cars.

If I were shopping for a Mondial, I'd want a coupe so a "t" is pretty much out as I've heard that coupe's in "t" form are very rare. Even if it weren't so I'd still want a 3.2 or QV for the servicing costs. Dropping the engine for a major makes a pretty significant difference in the cost and there seems to be more gremlins with the 3.4's than the 3.2's. For me, if I needed the 3.4's torque/HP I'd rather have a 348 than the Mondial, the cost difference to purchase isn't that different but maybe enough if your case. My 2 cents.

Jeff

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    You should buy the best example of either version that you can afford. I have an 88.5 3.2 Cab. I specifically wanted the 3.2 for the reasons mentioned above plus many more.
    I can tell you that it has been very reliable and cost effective to maintain. I can also tell you that I don’t "miss" the extra hp or torque.
    If you want a fast car for the money, you should be looking at alternatives.
    IMO, the Mondial is all about a car that looks and sounds great that can be shared with more than one other person that is fun to drive and own and is unique.
    Based on what you wrote, your not passionate about Mondials so you shouldn’t buy one.

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1

And: You dont get stuck in a Mondial t, or any other for that matter.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I read that bit about Mondial Purgatory as stuck between the 3.2 and T (the definition of purgatory - neither one or another but stuck in between). Not a negative comment.

7. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    well defining passion is maybe a subject for philosophy forums, but I have found the body of a mondial (any year) to be one of the most beautiful looking autos on the road. since I was 15 I said one day I would like to have that. anyway i can only afford one car for now and obviously I want to try and gain as much as I can out of one car. looks,feel,top down,2 back seats,sound,looks,looks,looks. I love this car. and I love the fact that it comes in a cab. and has 2 seats. dont hate me because i also want it to go fast. anyway I think the 3.2 is probably the best option, and still fast enough. any other thoughts please. your advice is great.

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    are some great examples of T's on ebay right now...I can't believe the prices some are asking for them at this time....the Valeo clutch listed, is a collector piece, but I prefer the stick myself.

can't speak for the older Mondials, but servicing is much less.

BUT

when you look at what the T offers, it's quite a bit and THAT, in my opinion is the version to acquire BUT, for a first Ferrari...perhaps the older might be better in terms of yearly costs.

The T offers anti-locking 4-w disk breaks, power assisted steering, much more torque and gusto--can really move--great all around car except you might be prone to use the cabriolet only during the better seasonal times....

Service on the 348 style engine, is about the 2nd highest in that vintage, just behind the 355. Check out your local costs AND MAKE SURE they are not only qualified BUT HAVE WORKED ON changing the belts etc. for the 348 engine...not meaning to scare you, but experience is important.

To pick one over the next is YOUR HELL/purgatory [ya' I understand your issue] and you should t a k e y o u t i m e .. if you are asking the question to us, now, for a final decision, then you are not ready...you need to drive them or be around them and then, 'pull the trigger' and don't look back... you probably will be with your decision for awhile, and you should be enjoying your purchase.
    but
    keep asking specifics...I'm sure that will help your decision.

9. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Having just purchased a t and having asked this very question in the Mondial forum, I would spring for the t for three reasons. One, the body is much more finished looking in my opinion. (There is a great thread on the cosmetic differences between the t and the 3.2 that is worth looking at in the Mondial forum.) Second, the engine is incredible and sounds great in a cabrio with Tubi. I spoke with many mechanics who post here and all agreed that a good, maintained example is no more a maintenance problem than any other Ferrari. Third, with power steering, adjustable shocks, and most importantly anti-lock brakes, it is worth the money. Just my 2.495697847 cents worth.

10. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    +2 (The synergy of the extra and improved mentioned items, including a few that have not been mentioned, made the T an obvious choice for me).

11. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    If the budget allows, the t is the better car. How much better in terms of $$$? I don't really know. 10K maybe? Perhaps 15?

12. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Fill in your profile, you'll get more responses!

13. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Not sure what you mean here, but the OP appears to be stuck in making a decision about which Mondial to get!

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I just read your original post and the ones following it again and I now understand what you meant with the purgitory comment. I apologize for my passion comment.
    My reccomendation to you is still the same. Find a great 3.2 and bank the extra money if you can for future repairs. If possible, try to find an 88.5 Mondial which is what I have. It has some of the great things a "T" has like ABS breaks, but no power sterring and lower maintenance cost.
    Trust me, unless you are specifically interested in speed, the 3.2 will make you very happy.
    - Ron

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As a Mondial non-expert, I'll add my agreement that the T is the best-looking of the lot.

But there are other reasons to consider it. My 328 is one from before the ABS era, and I can tell you that brakes have come a long way in 20 years. Much as I love the pure driving experience of the 328, and really can't get into the bulged-out later wheels, the brakes are rubbish compared to anything new and I wouldn't put much faith in them on a really wet road. Plenty of lock and fade if you're used to 2007 automotive brakes. So you might have more security from the slightly more modern Mondial T brakes.

OTOH, the 3.4 maintenance is more money because of the longitudinal configuration, and Mondials aren't exactly soaring in value. So, you're going to be pi$$ing away some money on a car that has more early engine electronics to go wrong. For a dry weather weekend fun car, I'd go for a 3.2. The 3.2 drivetrain in my 328 has been very reliable thus far, and for public roads it's more power and handling than you'll ever use.

This sounds like good advice.

If you're specifically interested in speed, there are a lot of other cars to consider...

16. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Correct me if'n i'm wrong here, but my frail, old memory seems to recall that contrary to what often sees in mags/retro articles/etc., anti-lock brakes were first implemented on the 328 Mondial & 412 cars. Full run of each type of car had these brakes.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    328 didn't get ABS standard till '89.

18. altaman

altaman Karting

Feb 25, 2005
    michigan
    Full Name:
    BRYAN
    Wow you guys are great. I really appreciate the fun debate. well I will continue to get an education. this place is the closest thing to ferrari 101 which they didnt offer at my univ. I look forward to discussing more issues about the mondial, this is a tough decision, I will let you all know when i jump. thanks again boys.

19. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    the 88.5 Mondial has ABS brakes.
    I also wish my Black Berry had spell check.
    - Ron

20. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    I wasn't referring to 328GTB/S, which got the ABS in 1989, was talking about Mondial & 412.
    I think Mondial got ABS before the GTB/S, possibley from beginning of the Mondial 3.2 run.

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Can anyone post a link to that thread? I searched through the past month or so and didn't see it.......thanks

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    wow, not a bad deal. Looks like a keeper and love the combo. Don't know what he means by factory aluminum gate, thought they all were.

replaced the fuse block : BIG plus, as is clutch etc. Leather looks very good.
    all books etc. there.

Only question to me is WHEN the 30k was done, not just the mileage ago it was done.

However, 30k looks to be near its upper limit to me for 3.2 Mondial.

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #24 Wade, Apr 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Just a cosmetic review.

1980-1982 Mondial 8: Black bumpers and Metric wheels and tires.

1983-1985 Mondial QV: Also black bumpers and Metric wheels and tires; some interior improvements.

1986-1988 Mondial 3.2. Body colored bumpers. Some interior changes. Metric wheels and tires on the 86, but newer looking design. 1987 and 1988 had newer design wheels, but non metric.

1989- 1993 Mondial T: Lowered a bit, smaller side air intakes, revised interior.