Mondial Roof Toggles for Latches Still Available | FerrariChat

Mondial Roof Toggles for Latches Still Available

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ronfrohock, Jun 2, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    #1 ronfrohock, Jun 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Fellow F-Chatters,
    You may have seen an earlier post......

The roof toggles on my Mondial 3.2 broke. Sooner or later they all do. They were poorly designed and manufactured using a process that is non-structural. (Cast aluminum)

I was disappointed to find that the replacement cost was in excess of $400.00 for the entire clamp assembly, if you are lucky to find one.

Based on this, I designed a replacement toggle and have sold a number of them to fellow F-Chatters.

My toggles are made from a high strength stainless steel and finished with a black passivate. I provide them with two stainless steel pins and e-clips.

They are easy to install and will not break.

I still have a number of pair remaining and would like to offer them again.

The cost per toggle is $85.00, however, you should get two. If shipped inside US, shipping is included.

This cost was derived by amortizing the cost of the custom tooling by the quantity that I made. My intention is not to make a profit, but to provide other Mondial owners with a solid solution to an existing problem.

I don’t intend to make more.

Please see an example of the toggle in the attached picture. Again, I am only offering the toggle. The toggle is the u-shaped part in the picture that is silver in color and again, the toggles that I am providing are black in color.

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks
    - Ron Frohock
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. randyleepublic

randyleepublic Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    PM sent.

Thanks!

3. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I bought a pair of Ron's Toggles. They are first rate and Ron is a true gentleman. I have a write-up of the re-work on the clamps that I will be posting soon complete with pictures. Best part of the whole deal for me, (besides never having to worry about this again), is that, with a very simple modification of Ron's part as supplied, my clamps now work 300% better than they did before they broke. You see, my car's P.O. foolishly left the top down for extended periods so it had shrunk a bit. With the factory clamps, closing it was a struggle, necessitating 3 or 4 trips back and forth from one side to the other. (Inside the car? No way.) With my "new" clamps it is now a breeze! Yeah! The trick is that I cut the "U" section off the toggle piece and turned it into two separate legs. That allows the clamp to open up as much as needed when I go to fasten the top so that now I can easily hook the clip on the windshield frame. With the legs made from more than adequate size bar of stainless steel, they are still plenty strong after cutting them into two. What an improvement!

4. omer

omer Rookie

Nov 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Remo Di Vito
    PM sent

Thanks

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Randy sent me a copy of the installation document that he created. What a great job. Incredibly thorough.
    Randys document will be sent with each pair.

PM me if you are interested.

- Ron

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    For the testimonial and also the hard work that he put into the installation guide.
    He also indentified an alternate approach which involved modifying my toggles if your roof is very tight from shrinking.

I have to say that owning a Ferrari represents only part of excitement.

It is great that we have FerrariChat. I have learned so much by reading and interacting with other enthusiast who share the same passion.

I also appreciate the underground network of entrepreneurs that design replacement parts to help us keep our cars alive.
    Thanks to people like Verell, Jonathan (BirdMan) and HankSound we have solutions to consistent problems that are better than what was offered at the factory.

Go FChact!

- Ron

7. Earthboundmisfit

Earthboundmisfit Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just wanted to add my thanks to Ron for supplying these great toggles. They're incredibly strong. I could feel the old toggle bend before it broke and knew it would only be a matter of time before it broke and it didn't take long before it did.

It was a simple repair. The process above is unnecessarily complicated, you really just need the photo in the first post. It was a little tricky fitting the spring but with a little effort it went together no problem. One thing for sure is, this is the last time I'm going to need to worry about that toggle.

Ron made the process easy. I sent a payment via paypal and he sent it out in the mail and it arrived very quickly. Thanks Ron!

8. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    Ah, that is something that no one ever has to deal with again. The Mondial roof frame is much better engineered than I realized. All you have to do is adjust the tension of the roof while it is latched and you are in hog heaven. I drive my car like an Alfa Spider now. I can put the roof up or take it down with one hand from the driver's seat! I only bother with the tonneau cover if I am going to be going for a long ride with the top down.

What's that? A question from the crowd? Oh, how does one adjust the tension? It is so easy I am embarrassed to show you. On each side there is a roundish eccentric secured with a hex socket head fastener. Unfasten your toggles, but leave the roof up. Get in the back seat, loosen the socket head on both sides. Rotate the eccentric to take tension off the roof. Go back up front, adjust and fasten your toggles. Adjust your toggles, not for tension, but for positioning of the front bow relative to the top of the windshield frame. Get back in the back, lift the cross bar up with one hand to put a reasonable tension on the roof while fiddling with one side's eccentric to hold the tension. (Actually, I seem to recall using the top of my head to lift the cross bar. :eek:) At this point you don't want the socket head real loose - just tight enough to hold the eccentric in place. Go back and forth between the two sides to get the tension properly balanced and adequate, finally firmly tightening the socket heads to hold the new adjustment.

Badda bing! You will now love your roof!!!

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Randy, I can't wait to go give it a try. My wife is gonna love me it this works.
    Dave

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #11 hank sound, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Don't let your product go "Bye-Bye". It's a minor treasure (in the scheme of things) and we need to know that you are there to solve our latch problems.

Hey folks, I broke two of those bloody factory latches, before I ever knew of Ron's product!!! I now have two of Ron's latches in standby mode, and I do believe, I'm covered for life :)

Cheers all,

Hank

11. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I'm just glad, well, besides being grateful to Ron for his excellent toggles, anyway, besides that, I am just glad that you all were asleep at the wheel when this went off the other day: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290473674342&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_631wt_225

Bwah-haw-haw-haw :eek:

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Giggle all you want, but since I just broke my toggles (both of them), Ron still had a few sets, and is shipping me a couple of the new units.

Art

13. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Does anyone know if Ron still has the complete set. Not just the latches, but the part that is affixed to the windshield frame.

14. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I may have a complete assembly. Ill check.
    PM me with your contact information.

I also still have toggles available for anyone that is interested.

Thanks
    - Ron

15. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Bump. This should be a sticky though.

Art

16. 2000YELLOW360

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Just got them installed. Haven't tried to put the top up, but the toggles are now on the car, and ready to see how the roof fits.

This should be a sticky though. These things break, and unless you know what you're looking for, can be difficult to locate the thread.

Art

17. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
  18. beaverlakeauto

Dec 24, 2010
    I would like to buy your roof latch you can call me at 973-222-7366 ray

19. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    #20 maurice70, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
    Even though l dont own a mondial cab,l still like to thank Ron for keeping our cars on the road.lts a real credit to people on this forum for taking the tome and finding the passion to make obsolete parts...and l suppose we should also thank Verell for his contributions as well

20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I can be reached by dialing 508-341-7440. Eastern Time Zone.
    Thanks
    - Ron Frohock

21. Sabby

Sabby Rookie

Oct 21, 2010
    I recieved and fitted new toggles as supplied by Ron.

They are extremely well made compared to the ones a friend of mine made up for me which lasted one month.

Rons toggles are very strong and durable. These WILL DO the trick.

They were quick and easy to fit with no problems.

Thanks Ron for you fast, efficient and friendly service!

I highly recommend these toggles.

22. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    #23 randyleepublic, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
    Please be aware that toggles break because the roof has too much tension. The tension is *not* adjusted by adjusting the position of the toggles. That adjustment is to allow the front top bow to properly seal against the windshield frame. The tension is adjusted by rotating the round eccentrics on each side of the roof mechanism and held in place with an off center, countersunk, socket head cap screw, ("retention bolt").

If your roof still has too much tension, Ron's toggles won't break as they are no longer the weakest link. The weakest link becomes the toggle body itself. You don't want that to break!

So the drill is: 1. Loosen the eccentrics' retention bolts, and rotate the eccentrics to loosen the roof fabric. 2. Adjust the toggles to provide the best seal between the top bow and the windshield frame. 3. Adjust the eccentrics to provide a nice taught roof fabric without going beyond that point, and tighten the retention bolts.

The bonus is that your roof is now much easier to take down and put up.

23. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Randy,
    I wonder if you could post some pictures of the process. Your documentation is always first rate.
    I am pleased to offer these toggles to those who need them.
    Thanks
    - Ron

24. randyleepublic

Dec 2, 2007
    Beautiful Reno
    I sure wish I'd had that available when I first got mine. So, the least I can do is write it up for the next fellow.

Right now, I am still sweating my transmission. It's rebuilt, but I am having trouble getting my friend/mechanic to get off his a$$ and put 'er back together. Only then the whole thing comes completely apart to get all the desperately needed engine work done. Then, finally, right about the time it starts snowing again, I'll be able to drive her. Wait a minute, it still hasn't stopped snowing here... Weirdest summer ever!