New Mondial Fusebox - DONE! | FerrariChat

New Mondial Fusebox - DONE!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Zertec, Aug 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    #1 Zertec, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    OK guys, after a few false starts here is the prototype box.

This is ALL new and is plug-and-play, fully populated with fuses and relays - you can chuck your old one away.
    The black bit is CNC machined.
    The PCB is redesigned with a modern 5-layer board.
    You can use your existing plugs on your original wiring harness.

All that I need to do now is test it in a Mondial and make the sticker for the top.

To the questions of (1) when are production boxes available and (2) how much each the answers are (1) about one month for the first batch of five, and (2) I don't know exactly yet.

Any questions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    For which models/years of Mondial is this fuse box designed? Without close inspection, it looks like the one in my 88 3.2

Thanks

3. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    It is based on the QV box found in my 83, 84 & 85 Mondials. I don't know whether it will fit the later (or earlier) models. I'll post some images of the original lable from the original fusebox in a while.

4. rtking

rtking Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bob King
    WOW! Great job Zertec! I can't wait for those to become available! Keep me on the interest list (if there is one.)

Bob

5. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
  6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    God bless you, my son......Enzo is smiling down at you from on high, saying "Forza"!!!

Nice work padner!

7. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Excellent stuff! But don't throw away old ones as they can be repaired.

What part number did you base it on? The newer the better as the new ones seem to work in old cars, but not the other way around.

Quick - someone plug it in and test it! This is so desperately needed. It will also save me a lot of time :)

8. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Clive I belive this will work on any year Mondial the box I have in my 82 8 is from a T which was repaired once in 10 years. That fuse box looks nice and I want one.

Randy

9. Vivaldi

Vivaldi Karting

Aug 1, 2001
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Alex Vivaldi
    The layout appears to be the same as for the Mondial 3.2 (I checked it against the 1987 wiring diagram), with the only tow differences being the location of fuses 11 and 12 (in the LH bank for the 3.2 vs. the RH bank in the prototype), and slightly lower fuse ratings (16A vs. 20A, 8A vs. 10 A, 5A vs 7.5A).

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I want one. I am happy to test on a 3.2.
    Now. :)
    Brilliant work!

11. lizard1

lizard1 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    West TX
    Full Name:
    Frank
    as a new mondial 3.2 owner, i'm learning as i go so bear with me. i realize that one of the big faults with this car is the fuse box and their tendency to heat warp and "burn up". is it just a matter of time before this happens to mine or is it something that would've happened already so i'm in the clear???

12. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Not all go bad, but most do. The fans and fuel pump tend to draw more current as they age. Consequently the connectors that plug into the fusebox get extra hot due to the extra current. The pins are soldered into a multilayer PC board that also does not cope well with the extra current nor the heat. Connectors melt and boards split and tracks burn up.

The basic problem is that the electrics in most Ferraris are marginal, and the Mondial is one of the worst. It is an Italian car after all :)

Having said all that - don't sweat it. If it breaks - fix it. There's a great group of people here who can help out. Chances are the box in your car has already been replaced at least once, and if you live in colder climates and/or rarely use the AC then that's one set of fans that run less frequently. Fuel pumps tend to have a finite life too, so if yours has been replaced at some stage it will be drawing less current than one that is original. I wouldn't go replacing fuel pumps just in case though. I have a Mondial t and I'm pretty sure my fusebox has not been replaced and it looks to me that the fuel pump is original too - 56000 miles - and I have no signs of any heat damage YET! It's only a matter of time...

13. pogibm

pogibm Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Randy Madamba
    Actually My fuse box is running perfect right now even after a 2 -3 hour drive the relays are not hot at all, the fuel pump gets its power directly from a 12v source with a wired relay and same for the electric fan which happens to be a 16" spal on a aluminum radiator the fuse box relays only works as a switch.

14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    looks great to me, mine is holding hands with carbon (from burning) and solder (from my amatuer repairs!) let me know when ready!

15. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    That's the way that many of them have been fixed, and it is a very valid fix that solves the problem permanently.

16. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    I'm ready too. Mine has that black, charred look around several of the larger wired posts. As for cost, it seems incumbent to me that the price will drive the market, not the other way around. Price them at $22.47 and you'll sell all you can make to every Mondial owner on the planet(not that many, I know). Price them at $22,470 and I think you may have trouble moving them. :)

Can you give us a possible range of price? or a general idea? I need to start saving up. <Edit> I forgot to say thanks, great work and much needed.

17. Vito

Vito Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    Dutchess County, NY
    Looks like a great replacement for our weak Mondial fuse boxes. I've installed an external fuse for my fuel pump which eliminated my intermittent stalling problem so a new fuse panel would be a nice replacement. Please keep me in mind when you get to the point of setting a price. Thanks

18. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Put me on the list for a fuse block!
    Charles

19. pmorin

pmorin Karting

May 14, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    P. Morin
    Any idea on price? I'll be needing one.

Patrick

20. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    We put the new box into a Mondial and everything worked although there was a bit of a hiccup. The test car's wiring had been jury-rigged to overcome problems with the original fusebox so the park/sidelights did not operate correctly. The wiring on the car is now going to be returned to the original configuration and the new 'box tried again. It took about 5 minutes to swap the boxes over. The owner of the car asked if we could make new male plugs to finish the fusebox off nicely, I'll look into this.

21. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    This was one of the problems we had to overcome with the design of the new PCB, i.e., the current draw for those circuits.

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Clive call me, sorry about the missed calls earlier. been real busy on phone.

Looks great!

23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    SO,
    I'M READY TO SEND THE CHECK TODAY!
    :)

24. dmc12

dmc12 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Will this work on 328 GTS ? and how much will it cost ?

25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Nice job Zertec....put me on the list also....let me know in time when the box is ready for operation.
    How is your Mondial project running ??
    Greetings, Guido