Relay Question....1988 Mondial 3.2 | FerrariChat

Relay Question....1988 Mondial 3.2

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by efinn, May 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. efinn

efinn Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #1 efinn, May 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have just found a relay with no fuse installed on its circuit. It is mounted on the right side just next to the A/C filter/dryer, under the front compartment. It is the most forward mounted relay and fuse holder. Can anyone tell me the function of this relay? And the size of the fuse required. I do not want to just stab a fuse in it tell I know what I'm looking at. The A/C does not cool hoping this may have something to do with that. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #2 JoeZaff, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #3 Wade, May 30, 2010
  4. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    AHHHHH, no wonder I couldn't find exactly what he was showing us. My '86 does not have ABS.

5. efinn

efinn Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks very much for the explanation... now on to making cool air. I just got this vehicle on Sat. Have arranged for a system charge next weekend. Maybe thats all it is.

6. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Sooooooo....because there is no fuse installed in-line, is the relayed power being supplied to the (presumably ABS related) item needing a power supply? Or, is the relay wired direct (without the fuse in-line)??

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, May 31, 2010
    Cliff, according to the wiring diagram (from what I can tell) the item in question (#159) is called a "diodes box" instead of relay.

Is it possible that the empty fuse holder is actually the "Socket for diagnosis" (#166)?

8. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Eric,

When you say the A/C does not cool, do you mean you get no cool air at all? My 1988 3.2 Mondial's A/C is functioning "as designed," which is to say, not well. I believe Jeremy Clarkson described the A/C of Italian cars (prior to a current era) as being "an asthmatic man blowing at you through a flattened straw."

9. efinn

efinn Rookie

May 25, 2010
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, the blower does operate, but does not really feel like any cooling is going on. I have not taken the time yet to look at the compressor and see if it engages or any real troubleshooting. I just got the car this weekend and the excitment level is way to high to worry over the A/C. I have replaced the bulb under the drivers door and fixed a squeak in the dash. Mostly just driving and showing friends our new...old car.

10. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    It was LOL

an asthmatic MOUSE blowing at you through a flattened straw

11. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Thanks, that actually is somewhat more comforting than having an asthmatic man blowing at you through a flattened straw. Appreciate the correction.