Roll Bar in a 3.2 Cabrio? | FerrariChat

Roll Bar in a 3.2 Cabrio?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dailyferraridriver, Apr 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I did a search - lots of discussions about not having a roll bar, but nothing I saw mentioned actually having one.

Has anyone put a roll bar in their 3.2 cabrio? If so - any advice/pictures?

Found out that the FCA track events require cabrio's to have roll bars - I figured adding one is cheaper than buying another car...right?

Thanks,
    Erik

2. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am guessing here, but would imagine that due to the Mondial having an unusual convertible top design any track legal roll bar would not fit inside the convertible top when closed. A track legal roll bar has to actually work, and is usually quite cumbersome. Moreover, given that the engine is right behind the rear bulkhead, I can't even imagine how you would bolt it in the interior of the car without eliminating the rear seats.

If someone has done it successfully, I would love to see pictures. FWIW, a Mondial Cab is the last Ferrari I would ever want to put on a track. It lacks the structural rigidity for honest track use and its 80's safety technology combined with the lack of structural rigidity would not give me the warm and fuzzies should things go awry.

3. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes - just had a short discussion with Daniel from Bradan - he's going to get back to me but it looks like this is quite a bit of work. I would like a system that I could remove when not using - I know it's possible. He mentioned removing the rear seats as well.

I wouldn't be trying to set course records in her, but I don't see why I couldn't push her around a bit. Plenty of much older cars drive on tracks regularly...but I certainly see your point. I'm not 100% sure I'd pass the tech inspection anyway, I really need to see what they consider acceptable or not.

Thanks for the advice, I appretiate the input.

Erik

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Too late. I guess it was cheaper to just buy another??

5. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Agreed - looking tonight for car #3

Erik

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    lol you jest? I was looking at Porsche tonight and i dont even have my Mondial its a sickeness

7. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Nothing is set in stone, but I like options. Removing the rear seats without a semi-easy way to re-install and remove the bar isn't really an option. If we can construct something that can be pulled, and pass inspection, and less than the price of another car, then that might be the way to go.

Erik

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm encouraged that you like Mondials so much you would consider a third. i havent even driven one yet so this is good news to me in my anticipation.

btw, are you on benzworld too?

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I've been thinking about a removable roll bar for years. It seems that the seat bottoms could be removed and doubler plates could be attached to the cross-member forward of the fuel tank. A longitudinal support could mount to the firewall.

With the bar installed it would become a two seater, remove it for an unmolested mondial.

One of these days I am going to mock it up with EMT and foam padding. I think it could be made where the top would close and it would pass the so-called broomstick test. Actually the mondial passes the broomstick test without a roll bar, you just can't see where you are going with the seat all of the way back.

Seems to me like a couple of thousand dollars would do the trick.

Obviously this would be for basic no passing track fun. Providing support in a typical trip situation where the car is likely to end up inverted. A serious roll-over is another story.

The idea is not to win any races but to be able to legally push the car and have some protection if you slide off of the paved surface. Having said that, I am pretty sure I could take a spec Miatta. :)

Dave

10. Champboat/Champcar

Champboat/Champcar Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    Freeport NY
    Full Name:
    Eric T
    A roll bar is a very important saftey item and should be done correctly , I never had a Mondial but i am sure it can be done, all it takes is a fabricater that knows what he is doing + its allways a bonus when the shop or the builder is a Racer, or into racing., don`t give up .

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    #11 davem, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    There was a poster here in Ct who had a roll bar fitted to his cab. The bar was for sale later, not sure he sold it. Ill try to find his details for you.

Pm'd you his info

12. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I've been trying to see if we can do something using the stock seatbelt mounts to make it a bolt in roll bar. Right now I'm not sure it will have enough support.

The roll bar in the link looks great but removes the rear seats. Eriks car is a street car he is just trying to get on the track a few days a year. Otherwise it's a daily driver.

13. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It wouldn't be a third Mondial - looking at a 328/348
    Yes, Benzworld and MBWorld - with a different SN.

mj_duell - thanks for the link!

davem - thanks for the PM - I'll reach out to him.

Agreed - I wouldn't expect to keep the seats with the bar, just have the option of removing the bar and bringing the seats back with reasonable time and effort.

Thanks,
    Erik

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    +1

And if you're not wearing a helmet, save the back of your skull and remove the roll bar from the car. I've been given that advice from a couple of racers who cringe when they see these in road cars.

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think you and I are on our way to becoming fast friends! I have two Mercedes and love them. In fact, I almost purchased an SL a few days ago, but got a Boxster S instead.

Good luck with the 328/348 search. Not that my opinion is worth anything, but I would recommend looking at a 348, TR, 360 or 550 instead. The 3.2 Mondial engine is the same engine as the 328 and the driving dynamics are very similar from my experience. The 348, TR and 550 drive very differently from the Mondial and, to me, would be an interesting alternative.

Of course, I would recommend a 355, as I adore them, but you have to have quite the stomach to get involved with the potential expenses associated with owning that spectacular automobile.

Good luck either way. You come across as a really enthusiastic owner and I am really happy to have you on board!

16. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I'm being actively talked out of the 348 by someone else - I promise that's the car I really want. The TR is also a car I'd love to own (and will soon enough) but it seems like as a 'track' car that I can also drive around town, it's looking more and more like a 328 is in my horizon.

I'm going to have a long discussion tomorrow and possibly drive to a potential 328 candidate on Saturday. The issue is getting her track ready for the Watkins Glen FCA track event in early May - lots of work in a short time. If the 328 owner will agree to a reasonable price, I'll buy her on the spot.

As far as Mercedes goes - that's one of two marque's I have a deep passion for (the other, obviously being Ferrari). My family has owned at least 1 MB from our 1981 300D until today. Right now it's the Kleemann C230 Coupe, S430 4Matic, and the GLK350 4Matic. It was almost impossible for me to pass up the new C63, but I knew if I didn't just buy the Ferrari now, I never would have.

Either way, I'm going to be going to more and more local events, I'm sure we'll run into each other shortly.

Thanks,
    Erik

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As a track car a TR would definitely be an expensive disaster as they have known gearbox weaknesses. Definitely more of a GT car. As for the 348, everyone has an opinion, but I think they are priced right at the present and a heck of a lot of car for the money. It is also a much better track car than a 328 from a dynamic perspective as the engine sits lower in the chassis. To tell you the truth, your best bet would probably be a Mondial T coupe (if you can find one) or a Mondial 3.2 coupe. Most people will tell you they are great track cars due to their longer wheelbase.

There is a fellow f-chatter who has a monster 3.2 Coupe that was featured in Forza magazine. The thing was converted to carbs and makes over 300hp. It was upgraded to a very high performance and reliability standard by somebody who clearly knew what he was doing.

I don't know if it is still available but here is the link:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=5621

18. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks for the advice - I'll post when a decision is made - the roll-bar (removable) apparently is a possibility and will be allowed for the track, but apparently it's a PITA to remove -

Erik

19. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The back seats can come out in less than 5 minutes. Would think installing a roll bar thats designed from the start to be temporary could be removed in say 15-20 minutes top. Much easier to do this in a cab. too.

That said tracking is very addictive. If your content to just do some FCA events casually, then fine.

20. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looking forward to seeing what direction you go. You can't go wrong.

21. BRADAN

BRADAN Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 29, 2009
    West Babylon, NY
    Full Name:
    BRADAN
    I was considering a bolt in roll bar that mounts to all of the seat belt mounting bolts. If I ran grade 8 hardware, it looks like it would work. The issue is the top alone is a 10-15 min project to put down in the Mondial. To remove the top, seat belts, possibly rear seats, bolt a bar in, and mount the race harness, it's a half day event each way. I know it's not terrible though since track events are once in a blue moon.

22. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Here's an update. Daniel and I looked at the potential 328 today. She was a real dog - electrical, mechanical, and body issues. Cooler heads won and I walked away. Even the $3,000 that we were trying to negotiate wouldn't make up for the potential nightmare. Either way, Daniel would have killed himself getting her ready for May 3rd.

Still on the lookout for a 308/328/348 for racing -

Thanks for the support guys, I'll update if we decide to put the roll bar in the Mondial for this year's events.

Erik

23. dailyferraridriver

Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
  24. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Reviving an old thread.

Has anybody ever made any progress on a roll bar for a Mondi Cab? I can see I will loose the rear seats with the roll bar on.

I am looking for something simple, just to be allowed on a track for a fun ride. Not for hard core tracking.

Thanks,

Richard
    1984 Mondial Cab